Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It all comes down to what you want to do with the Truck. Some people may only tow 5 to 6 times a year and haul stuff in the bed once every couple of months. But trying to rent a Truck when they need one may not be practical. Some people may only need to tow short distances. Others may have to tow heavy loads less than 200 miles round trip. Can a Rivian tow 11,000 lbs? Yes it can but you won't get far and if you can't charge it on your trip or stopping to charge isn't practical it isn't the Truck for you. Same with the Cybertruck. We just have no idea on price, payload capacity or towing capacity. My personal opinion is that the Truck at launch will be priced around the Rivian may be a little cheaper but not by much. Weight will be close to the F150 Lightening and Rivian. Most likely towing capacity for a 350 mile Truck will be around 8 to 10K. Payload capacity will be close to the Lightening. If the bed is actually composite the Truck may have close to the same payload as the Rivian. The Rivian has a lower payload than the Ford according to the majority of door stickers I have seen. All the pictures of the Cybertruck I have seen the rear part of the cabin looks like a small Cave. Low side window visibility in the rear and the rear seating area seems very dark. Again these are just my observations and opinions.

Last edited:
please name me one vehicle with a "radical look" which ended up disrupting a automotive class/ segment ? I'm waiting...
I think it was Dodge RAM trucks that initially had a bulbous look about them, giving them "semi" pretentions. Pretty soon all pickup trucks followed suit, so "slab sided" pickups rapidly looked quite dated.

Also, The Ford Taurus was quite revolutionary, again with a modern, bulbous appearance. It looked SO weird in Police Car drag in Robocop. Again, other manufacturers followed suit.

I'd say both were bold for their time, and, allow me, disruptive.

not really. the VW Bug in the 1930s was radical because of heavily government subsidized affordability but the Porsche design was very much the aerodynamic flow design of the 1920s/1930s...
The VW bug was a revolutionary design my friend. Designed in 1936 by dr Porsche. It wasn’t until 1946 that a few were made. Fast forward to 1951 I think when they were Imported to the US. I have a lot of experience with these cars. Really amazing and simple.

think Back to the late 50’s and early 60’s in the US. They were all over the place and a radical design from anything in the US.

It all comes down to what you want to do with the Truck. Some people may only tow 5 to 6 times a year and haul stuff in the bed once every couple of months. But trying to rent a Truck when they need one may not be practical. Some people may only need to tow short distances. Others may have to tow heavy loads less than 200 miles round trip. Can a Rivian tow 11,000 lbs? Yes it can but you won't get far and if you can't charge it on your trip or stopping to charge isn't practical it isn't the Truck for you. Same with the Cybertruck. We just have no idea on price, payload capacity or towing capacity. My personal opinion is that the Truck at launch will be priced around the Rivian may be a little cheaper but not by much. Weight will be close to the F150 Lightening and Rivian. Most likely towing capacity for a 350 mile Truck will be around 8 to 10K. Payload capacity will be close to the Lightening. If the bed is actually composite the Truck may have close to the same payload as the Rivian. The Rivian has a lower payload than the Ford according to the majority of door stickers I have seen. All the pictures of the Cybertruck I have seen the rear part of the cabin looks like a small Cave. Low side window visibility in the rear and the rear seating area seems very dark. Again these are just my observations and opinions.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but seriously, it's Lightning, without a letter e. :p

$100, fully refundable. many reservations from nearly 4 years ago (!) ... assuming only 1/2 will cancel is way too conversative...

I think anybody saying what % will cancel with any confidence either way is only fooling themselves.

That said, even if 75-80% cancelled that'd still leave production basically sold out through end of 2025 with -zero- new buyers wanting one.

Reactions: Eric9610
I think anybody saying what % will cancel with any confidence either way is only fooling themselves.

That said, even if 75-80% cancelled that'd still leave production basically sold out through end of 2025 with -zero- new buyers wanting one.
Elon doesn't seem confident in demand currently. It's not just the truck, it's the economy and interest rates as he said. He said they could make 250k CT per year, maybe more, depending on demand. They have 1.7 million pre-orders.

so someone who reserved back in 2019 or early 2020 is ok with waiting until end of 2025 to receive their truck? LOL.... that's 5 - 6 years ... many things change in that time. Family, jobs, other vehicles on the market, personal financial situation etc.

Reactions: mswlogo
so someone who reserved back in 2019 or early 2020 is ok with waiting until end of 2025 to receive their truck? LOL.... that's 5 - 6 years ... many things change in that time. Family, jobs, other vehicles on the market, personal financial situation etc.
And many things don't ... you're just speculating based on no data ... so really this entire discussion is pointless, let's wait and see what's up.

unhooking your airstream everytime you charge every 140 miles gets painful quickly though.... and not many chargers are pull through yet
I think that might have a lot to do with where you travel. Here in the PNW all the Rivian chargers are trailer-friendly, i.e. have a pull-thru stall. And quite by accident, I presume, many other chargers are planted near the back of parking lots where, if the lot isn’t busy, you can pull in from the side and charge without dropping the trailer and without blocking any other stalls. BTW, PlugShare now has a trailer-friendly filter which is extremely useful.

On my recent trip from Bend up to Vancouver Island and back I was forced to drop the trailer exactly once.

Reactions: CHGolferJim
Tesla will sell as many CyberTrucks as they can make...until they can't.

When supply becomes greater than demand, they will offer inducements or rollout additional desired features, or free FSD etc.
Then they will expand their marketplace by shipping to different nations etc.
Then they will roll out a smaller version. Less expensive but more right sized for many.

Along the way they will produced a refreshed Model 3, Model Y, and the highly anticipated huge volume $20,000 (+/-) smaller car.

Tesla will continue to gobble up market share from ICE legacy builders, while adding one or two GigaFactories every year into the near future.

When FSD and car sharing eventually become a thing, Tesla will dominate that market as well.

Along the way, they will monitize SuperCharger networks, make huge profits off insurance, roll our heat pump technology for the home, produce labor saving humanized robots, produce huge volumes of home and industrial load leveling storage batteries, network their plug in cars and powerwalls to become defacto utilities, take over the cellular network with Starlink and Pi world wide cellular coverage.

In their spare time will roll out advanced open source AI, inprove human intellect with AI brain implants, allow the spinal cord damaged humans full functionallity again...etc. Instead of carrying a cell phone, that tech will be hard wired into brains. Creating a level of human capacity never before imagined.

Future looks bright for Tesla.

I agree. Probably 20% of those reservations go through. But they will likely end up with another 0.5 million once you can make new reservations.

Also Elon has unfortunately managed to put a rather ugly face on the brand IMHO. Not giving Tesla his all, looking like a fool in his financial decisions as his pissed away billions on Twitter. What if he does something stupid that impacts your ownership.

I will investigate other brands in my next purchase. Will still consider Tesla. But 2 years ago I thought I’d own Teslas forever. Now I’m embarrassed to be associated with the Brand.