Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Non-saleable? If the demand is really that high, people will be trying to buy the CT floor models. That is, unless they are just mock ups. It will be easy to tell this though, since after November 30th, won't Tesla be giving CT test drives?
If they were available to sell somebody would buy them immediately. Demand is currently north of 1M units, closer to 1.5M, per the quaterly call. Don't be so dense.

Doubtful Tesla will be giving test drives, they usually don't.

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02 and kabin
I agree someone's stretching... but it's the guy who keeps insisting the sign didn't say what it said, and we should ignore where the arrow pointed, and we should ignore other trucks also list bed specific limits, and we should also ignore the original announced specs, and we should also ignore the ones still listed at tesla.com right now.

I mean, it's possible ALL of that stuff is wrong... but suggesting you're on the right side of Occam's razor here just ain't so.
Let me approach this in a different manner. Do you own a pickup and tow loads or carry payloads in your pickup bed on a regular basis? Have you ever even owned a pickup? I've owned pickups since 2014- that's all I've driven for as own personal vehicle - and I've done a lot of towing and GVWR based calculations including tongue weights for several years now. I've towed many boats, a few campers, and several trailers over time. I also use my current 2018 RAM 1500 with air suspension to carry payloads that put me up close to the maximum payload rating of my current rig. I'm not talking from a theoretical standpoint in other words. From what real world experience are you talking?

Reactions: FLRifleman
If they were available to sell somebody would buy them immediately. Demand is currently north of 1M units, closer to 1.5M, per the quaterly call. Don't be so dense.

Doubtful Tesla will be giving test drives, they usually don't.

Some people have 30+ reservations. Real demand is probably a bit less.

You used an example from an entirely different midsize pickup class that doesn't really apply to comparisons from 150/1500+ series pickups - so you were in point of fact comparing apples and oranges. That said - given the CT Is really a unibody design - we shall see.

So...they're not the same, except they're kinda the same?

From a previously posted leak on this thread:

You said Elon claimed it, now it was just a random leak?

Let me approach this in a different manner. Do you own a pickup and tow loads or carry payloads in your pickup bed on a regular basis? Have you ever even owned a pickup? I've owned pickups since 2014- that's all I've driven for as own personal vehicle - and I've done a lot of towing and GVWR based calculations including tongue weights for several years now. I've towed many boats, a few campers, and several trailers over time. I also use my current 2018 RAM 1500 with air suspension to carry payloads that put me up close to the maximum payload rating of my current rig. I'm not talking from a theoretical standpoint in other words. From what real world experience are you talking?

Currently, no as I've no use for such. But I've owned a LOT of body on frame vehicles in the past, including trucks, including hauling large trailers with them, and going back a fair bit prior to 2014.

Though this really seems like a weird appeal to authority argument you're switching to given we're not discussing "do you even know how to connect tow lights bro?" but listed vehicle specs on a random poster outside one location.

I understand what GVWR is. I understand what a total payload rating is. Nothing I've said contradicts either of those understandings- if you think they do I'd encourage you to re-read what I actually wrote... which was that the weird one-off sign at the store appears to be speaking (in a single sentence, explictly about the BED of the truck, that it can hold 2500 lbs) and that it's not even the ONLY truck out there that calls out a bed weight limit (and as even YOU point out, both appear to share being unibody). Further that if it WAS a 2500 lb bed limit you'd still comfortably get to the original-spec 3500 lb payload by having 1000 lbs available to the cabin, which seats 5.

What in owning a truck would contradict any of that?

Wait, basically everyone here is against you

"basically"

Nice pull from the Gordon Johnson school of reasoning :)

I'm not even the one who posted the Honda correction of this "EVERYONE CITES PAYLOAD THE SAME WAY AND NOBODY CITES BED LOAD" thing so clearly no, not everyone.

and you think everyone else is stretching? Again, your leap makes no logical sense.

I'm not making a leap.

I'm reading [B}the literal words Tesla said[/B]

YOU are the one leaping to "Naah, half a dozen things from Tesla are wrong because of... how a bunch of legacy auto (but NOT all of it) defines terms for their own trucks...

There's no reason for Tesla to lower their advertised limit.

This was apparently a nearly hand-made sign in one place-- not an "advertised limit"-- and it specifically said for the bed with a literal arrow pointing at the bed

The "advertised limit" is still 3500 on Tesla.com

Simply because there's an arrow to the bed means nothing.

Sure, I mean why believe ANYTHING provided by anyone at Tesla when....RANDOM FORUM DUDE knows better.

Again, Honda Ridgeline advertises that their payload is up to 1,580 lbs, but you cite a excerpt from the manual about maximum bed weight and try to twist that it's the same thing. That's not a stretch?

No?

It's literally an example of the BED weight (what is described in that tesla poster) being lower than the TOTAL payload weight. In another brand of truck.

A thing your 'side' previously said was something nobody does.

Reactions: outdoors and Näky
It's literally an example of the BED weight (what is described in that tesla poster) being lower than the TOTAL payload weight. In another brand of truck.

A thing your 'side' previously said was something nobody does.
It's not an example...just Google Honda Ridgeline Payload, they advertise the actual payload...you had to dig and find something in a manual, not something Honda advertises. This is such an obscure hill to die on. Again, something that no one else does.

It's not an example...just Google Honda Ridgeline Payload, they advertise the actual payload...you had to dig and find something in a manual, not something Honda advertises.

Kinda like you have to visit one specific store, for about 48 hours before they removed the sign with a typo, to see the "bed...2500lbs" thing "advertised?"

You keep making my own point for me my dude.

For all we know that sign was made by a Ridgeline owner :)

This is such an obscure hill to die on. Again, something that no one else does.

Agreed, I'm really not the one dying on it though :)

Kinda like you have to visit one specific store, for about 48 hours before they removed the sign with a typo, to see the "bed...2500lbs" thing "advertised?"

You keep making my own point for me my dude.

For all we know that sign was made by a Ridgeline owner :)

Agreed, I'm really not the one dying on it though :)
I said originally that the sign could be bullshit. I made fun of the spelling, but there's no logical reason to take a leap that "it's the bed only, they aren't including passengers".

It really seems so...you went and found verbiage from a Ridgeline owner's manual.

Again, on the CT forum, most said the payload wouldn't be 3,500lbs due to the weight from the released rumor and Elon's interview.

So maybe an additional 6 inches of lift here? (Assuming accurate picture which it usually seems to be?)

Looks like it goes from about a 6-7-inch wheel-arch gap to something like 12-13 inches. (Tire diameter is about 34.8 inches.)

So something like 10-11 inches of ground clearance (to 16-17 inches)?

I’m sure someone who has actual measurement skills could get it more accurate. Not sure why I failed to get these measurements yesterday. Would have been easy.

5 passengers each weighing 200 lbs. It's a 5 seater vehicle. That's putting nothing at all in the frunk.

Err... how much do you think the average person weighs exactly?
so the Cybertruck will have a total payload limit of 3,500 lbs.... aka 5 full grown adults in the cab and nearly 13 adults in the bed ? impressive. and all with an air suspension and no ladder frame / and no leaf springs.

I said originally that the sign could be bullshit. I made fun of the spelling, but there's no logical reason to take a leap that "it's the bed only

I mean other than it literally is on the end of a sentence about the bed and has an arrow pointing at the bed

But yeah other than that...

It really seems so...you went and found verbiage from a Ridgeline owner's manual.

Again- no I did not. Someone ELSE posted that. Because not "everyone" is against this side of the argument as you suggest-- it seems like it's mostly you and one or two other dudes last couple pages.

so the Cybertruck will have a total payload limit of 3,500 lbs....

A literal reading of the (now removed) sign suggests that. As does the 2019 announce specs, and the current specs at tesla.com.

As I have said though, 100% of them might all be wrong- but at least they all agree with each other at the moment :)

• Disagree
Reactions: uscbucsfan

Demand != $100 refundable deposit.
Certainly not at a higher price than was initially advertised.
Don't be THAT dense!

and how many reservations for the $40k and $50k models ? Same demand when it's $70k+ and car loans are at 6% ?

Bingo!

I've just looked up my records - I had reserved a tri-motor with THEN advertised range of 500 miles for $70K.
I was willing to overlook but-ugly for decent towing capability and range, at an acceptable price point.
I might still be willing to act on that value proposition, even though NOW I also need overlook the semi-neo-Nazi association of Tesla brand. Just peachy.

You add the lower range on top?
And a higher price point on top of that?
And the size of the truck that may not even fit into my garage at all?

I can't say that I will follow-throw with the purchase.
I am not saying "yes" or "no" at this time, not until I hear the release price and specs, and get to test drive the truck from a nearby SC into my garage.

But anyone estimating greater than 25% conversation rate from refundable $100 deposits into purchases is fooling themselves.
Even Tesla is nowhere on record to be doing that!

I'm not even the one who posted the Honda correction of this "EVERYONE CITES PAYLOAD THE SAME WAY AND NOBODY CITES BED LOAD" thing so clearly no, not everyone.
I wasn't saying in that post from this thread that Honda was specifying payload, but rather giving examples of weight limits for specific locations. It was a response to
The 2500 is the payload capacity - not the bed capacity - there's really no such thing as bed capacity except as it relates to cubic feet of storage capacity.
Because I'm annoying like that...

The full sentence is:

"Ultratough SMC bed, up to 2,500 lb. payload" with a line pointing, specifically, to the bed.

Which part of the sentence makes you think that 2500 is not the payload of the bed rather than the entire vehicle?
The comma. And that's not a sentence.
It's what happens when someone takes a list, spilts it into blurbs, and pastes it on a graphic.

A bed would not have "up to X payload" unless it either varied in construction from model to model (doubtful) or was limited by some other factor (like the truck's capacity).

An unconstrained description would be something akin to "Ultratough SMC bed with 2,500 lb. capacity". "With" not ",". Just like they wrote "Adaptive air suspension with..." (not that they are typo free)

Sure, people who know what a SMC bed is might want to know what its capacity is (preempt the FUD), but that's a minority of the buying public. I get your train of thought, but I'm not riding it, though I'd be happy to be wrong.

Reactions: uscbucsfan
If your fridge/stove are anti-finger print they have a spray or wrap over them to prevent/mitigate prints. The CT will not have that.

Someone here has a DeLorean, I believe, but from what I've seen on the CT and on older DeLoreans, they will get easily smudged/finger prints around the doors, back, frunk, etc.
This focus on finger prints is a lot about nothing IMO. Of course there will be fingerprints, so?
(Note: I'm not saying you're fixated on fingerprints just many others)

Reactions: Yelobird
This focus on finger prints is a lot about nothing IMO. Of course there will be fingerprints, so?
(Note: I'm not saying you're fixated on fingerprints just many others)
Yeah, pretty sure no one cares much about fingerprints. If you don’t want them, I am sure there will be perfect products for effectively removing them. (It did not seem that the Tesla team in the showrooms had this dialed in yet though.)

I’m more interested in scratches. There was one evident on the truck I saw. I am curious if there will be products that effectively remove these without changing the surface look from the surrounding SS. This is pretty easy to do with clearcoat. No idea for SS. Maybe it is trivial? No idea if there is any surface treatment (hopefully not).

Not that scratches are very important either, of course. If you don’t want scratches, you don’t scratch your vehicle! It’s kind of up to the owner! Many people just don’t/won’t care at all, since it really doesn’t matter. It’s going to get really scratched and dented, which is fine. Just like any other truck, just in a different way with different “fixes.”

IMG_9486.jpeg

If the payload capacity is going to be 3500 lbs that would put the Trucks GVWR over 10,000lbs with the weights listed for each version. 2 motor 6,670 Ibs 3 motor 6,890 lbs. That would put the Truck in the class 3 division 10001 to 14000 GVWR. The same class as an F 350/450
Careful, this is the exact same mathematical data I posted previously based upon the actual NHTSA government filings, but apparently a marketing post that was most likely photoshopped is proof for the fanboys that what the math clearly already shows doesn’t make sense. This is why I don’t argue with fanboys, can’t fix stupid.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Careful, this is the exact same mathematical data I posted previously based upon the actual NHTSA government filings

Where are 2 motor 6,670 Ibs 3 motor 6,890 lbs. figures listed in those NHTSA filings?

All I saw was the gross weight from the filings being applied to the "unsourced leak" weights

When I asked for a source on the weights last time that leak was the only thing given (despite you originally claiming Elon said them- and what Elon apparently actually said was 6000-7000 per the link I posted)

The leak might well be accurate, but let's try and stick to accurate attribution of sources maybe?