Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard a lot of people say they like trucks because they like sitting up high. I wonder how much of a selling point that will be for the CT. I might buy one just because it's big and safe. Driving is one of the most dangerous things we do on a daily basis. The main thing I don't like about trucks is the big loud gas guzzling engines. The CT might be the best of everything. I won't even look strange getting out of it wearing my superhero cape.
That's true, especially among those that have physical challenges or are overweight, as it's easier to get in & out. However those people typically get an SUV, think a Chevy Blazer or similar. They get a higher vehicle, but it doesn't have the disadvantages of a longer one.

Can’t wait for the CyberTruck to be the next fashion statement must have in suburban status symbol land (tip of the hat to The Monkeys).

It'll be a niche vehicle, difficult to manufacture, and likely sold for a loss for 18 months or so. It's got some cool features but probably none qualify as tough to traditional pickup enthusiasts.
I don't know. Everyone I talk to outside of the Tesla bubble seems to be making fun of it. We'll see if it takes off.

Lexus has a digital rear view monitor that is fed by a camera. Would be nice to have for familiarity reasons.
The unit I saw at Montgomery Mall had a rearview mirror - however from talking with the guy who drove it to the mall from the Owings Mills, MD delivery center, it's a digital camera based rearview mirror only - as it cannot be a normal dimmable mirror since there's literally nothing to see out of the rear midgate window when the bed cover is up.

Last edited:
The CT does not have that. It's displayed on the main screen at the top.
This is not accurate - the CT has a rearview camera based mirror - here's a pic from the Montgomery Mall CT that I took on Black Friday - you can clearly see the rearview mirror. I spoke to the guy that drove the CT from the delivery center to the mall location - it's a digital rearview mirror only - given when the tonneau cover is up - there's literally nothing to see behind the midgate rear window.

1701104175155.png

You can speculate, but you can’t be certain.
It will really depend on how sophisticated the drivetrain is in the CT. If Tesla uses the same motors from the Semi - and uses the same tech from the Semi that allows two out of the three motors to disengage and only run one motor once up to speed - then we may see better towing capability than many suspect. Granted, the long haul Semi uses three 300kwh battery packs in comparison, whereas the CT is rumored to only be using a 122kwh pack for both the dual and trimotor variants, but if Tesla uses this type of tech in the CT - we could see better towing performance when compared to other brands already on the market. Either way, we'll soon know! :cool:

This is not accurate - the CT has a rearview camera based mirror - here's a pic from the Montgomery Mall CT that I took on Black Friday - you can clearly see the rearview mirror. I spoke to the guy that drove the CT from the delivery center to the mall location - it's a digital rearview mirror only - given when the tonneau cover is up - there's literally nothing to see behind the midgate rear window.

View attachment 994111
It sounds like the guy lied to you. There are multiple pictures, including Elon at the racetrack that show when the tonneau is down, the screen shows the rear camera. It's not displayed in the rearview mirror.

None of the rear-view cameras in RC units nor showrooms have been digital.

Edit: I never said they didn't have rearview mirrors, just that they aren't digital.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
For those that care
Rear view mirrors for non-passenger vehicles (like trucks) can meet FMVSS 111 to two ways:
1. Using only flat side mirrors and no internal mirror
2. Using the passenger car requirements
Passenger car requires internal mirror along with second external mirror (flat or convex) if the internal mirror field of view is lacking.

So, to use a typical "objects in mirror may be closer than they appear" passenger side mirror, Tesla needs to include an internal rear view mirror, even though it is mostly useless for its normal purpose.

Federal Register :: Request Access

Dude. I'm literally citing data from truck owners

This is like the 10th time that data has been discussed throughout the thread. I get you're new, but take a few minutes to read back a little.
I think you're referring to this study from 2021:

1701113508664.png

What most people don't realize is that this study only polled F150 owners (i.e. not F250 or above owners). A deeper dive into this study also found that the majority of F150 owners polled owned the short bed F150 version. I cannot for the life of me find the link, but there was deeper dive done that provided a breakdown of the models within the F150 within the study results and it showed very different percentages when the cab size and bed sizes were broken out. I recall that when the bed size increased to 6.5-8 foot - the numbers for personal hauling and towing went way up - even in the F150 class. Most pickup owners that tow on a regular basis move up to the F250+ series and into a diesel engine setup - which is much more capable and efficient for towing especially. It's obvious that the CT isn't designed to appeal to owners who tow/haul on a regular basis - especially if there's not going to be a large battery pack option that offers up 500 miles of range unloaded.

Reactions: TessP100D and Cal1
I think you're referring to this study from 2021:

View attachment 994144

I don't think I am?

The numbers I cite are from a 2019 story here:

The data comes from the president of an auto consulting firm which conducts an in-depth 250,000 person new vehicle owner survey.

So vastly larger data set than the one you cite, and covering all brands and models and trims not just F-150.

Interestingly your own numbers are not TOO different anyway-(32% yours vs 35% mine for "essentially never uses the bed" if we read hauling as bed use in your data.... and 63% vs 75% for essentially never tows.... lending further support to the idea the vast majority of truck owners tow roughly never. (Your data doesn't cover off road specifically- the data from my thing says 70% of owners do that 1 or 0 times a year though)

All that said I agree I'd expect the towing number at least to be higher in F-250 owners vs F-150, but not entirely sure why that'd matter here since as you note this is hardly intended to compete with those anyway.

I don't think I am?

The numbers I cite are from a 2019 story here:

The data comes from the president of an auto consulting firm which conducts an in-depth 250,000 person new vehicle owner survey.

So vastly larger data set than the one you cite, and covering all brands and models and trims not just F-150.

Interestingly your own numbers are not TOO different anyway-(32% yours vs 35% mine for "essentially never uses the bed" if we read hauling as bed use in your data.... and 63% vs 75% for essentially never tows.... lending further support to the idea the vast majority of truck owners tow roughly never. (Your data doesn't cover off road specifically- the data from my thing says 70% of owners do that 1 or 0 times a year though)

All that said I agree I'd expect the towing number at least to be higher in F-250 owners vs F-150, but not entirely sure why that'd matter here since as you note this is hardly intended to compete with those anyway.
That's cool - I cannot seem to find the actual findings from the underlying study itself from your link - seems like I'd have to be a subscriber to see the raw data unfortunately. I'd be curious out of the 250k persons for the new vehicle survey - how the actual vehicle types break down by models and number of people responding. I use my current RAM 1500 with a standard bed for a fair amount of hauling/bed use - but I own a 3/4 acre lot with 17 trees on it and I'm responsible for all leaf removal so I do a lot of landscaping work with my truck. I also tow boats to local boat ramps during the summer months, and the occasional u-Haul rental trailer helping folks move and such. I'd say I use my bed for "hauling" about 10-20 times per year on average, and for towing about 5-10 times per year. I don't have a camper or anything major when it comes to towing where I would tow over longer distances. I'm more of a glamping type really. :cool: