Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's See Your Charging Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20210122_224318.jpg

I have a charger holder on order. Cost $135 for a 50amp 14-50 install. Charges at 33 miles/hour. (I need to paint my garage and floor)

I installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet myself. The AC panel being right there made things easy. I 3D printed the holder.

View attachment 629983

View attachment 629984
Looks good. You should support the Mobile Connector electronics unit so it does not hang from the power plug. The receptacle and plug are not designed to support extra weight, if left unsupported, over time, the plug may fail internally and can overheat.

See Etsy for Tesla Wall Bracket/Mount for Mobile Charger Gen 2: Tesla Wall Bracket/Mount for Mobile Charger Gen 2 White | Etsy

Since you are a maker you could print your own holder for the Mobile Connector.

Tesla sells a Charging Cord Organizer kit that includes a holder for the Mobile Connector.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Figured it would be nice to see peoples charging setups.

For me, the panel was in the basement, across the house from the garage. Not the ideal location. Had an electrician come out and install a 60A circuit and run a wire through the basement up through the floor, into the garage, to a wall connector. Had to cut a hole in the drywall, but it was easily patched and now you can't tell it was cut. Works great, and I'm charging at a full 48A.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.jpeg
    IMG_2278.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2282.jpeg
    IMG_2282.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 140
Looks good. You should support the Mobile Connector electronics unit so it does not hang from the power plug. The receptacle and plug are not designed to support extra weight, if left unsupported, over time, the plug may fail internally and can overheat.

See Etsy for Tesla Wall Bracket/Mount for Mobile Charger Gen 2: Tesla Wall Bracket/Mount for Mobile Charger Gen 2 White | Etsy

Since you are a maker you could print your own holder for the Mobile Connector.

Tesla sells a Charging Cord Organizer kit that includes a holder for the Mobile Connector.

You have mentioned more than once the need to support the mobile connector so it doesn’t hang unsupported, and have also mentioned that Tesla sells such a bracket. However there is no mention of supporting the connector in the Gen2 connector owners manual https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

I also don’t see said bracket being offered in the Tesla charging shop Tesla | Charging

In every one of these photos you have commented on there has been a method of supporting the coiled cord; whether that be by the Tesla bracket, a 3D printer mold, or a simple all purpose hook.

Where did you get the information about unsupported connector plug failure and overheating?

If the concern is the receptacle failing due to the weight of the connector and cord, if a good industrial grade receptacle was installed there is very little concern. The mobile connector with cord weights just over 5#. As in every photo shown, there is some form of support holding the cord length reducing the 5# of stress. A good quality industrial grade receptacle, and a means to hold the cord is all that is needed.

You have mentioned more than once the need to support the mobile connector so it doesn’t hang unsupported, and have also mentioned that Tesla sells such a bracket. However there is no mention of supporting the connector in the Gen2 connector owners manual https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

I also don’t see said bracket being offered in the Tesla charging shop Tesla | Charging

In every one of these photos you have commented on there has been a method of supporting the coiled cord; whether that be by the Tesla bracket, a 3D printer mold, or a simple all purpose hook.

Where did you get the information about unsupported connector plug failure and overheating?

If the concern is the receptacle failing due to the weight of the connector and cord, if a good industrial grade receptacle was installed there is very little concern. The mobile connector with cord weights just over 5#. As in every photo shown, there is some form of support holding the cord length reducing the 5# of stress. A good quality industrial grade receptacle, and a means to hold the cord is all that is needed.
The mounting bracket (Tesla calls this the chassis holder) is bundled with the Cable Organizer. Cable Organizer

Description: Store your Tesla Mobile Connector cables with the newly redesigned Cable Organizer. Featuring a sturdy bracket to keep your cables neatly stowed, along with a chassis holder to reduce additional wear and tear on your adaptor and outlet.

The chassis holder for the Mobile Connector is shown in the box, along with the cable bracket.

If Tesla's description is not sufficient there is also:
A) Common Sense
B) Ask any electrician whether an electrical receptacle and plug are designed to support additional weight
beyond the power cord
C) Inspect any third party EVSE and it will have mounting tabs or a mounting bracket so it can be mounted to a stud or the wall

I had previously installed the Nema 14-50 outlet myself for $75 in parts. I purchased the Wall Connector because I could get reimbursed by the state, so I hired an electrician who installed the sub-panel (pictured) and the Wall Connector. I needed the sub-panel because I wanted to keep the 14-50 outlet.
IMG_3358.jpeg

Reactions: Big Earl
IMG_5467.jpg

This is between two of my garage doors.

Gen 3 HPWC on 55-amp wire (& 50-amp breaker). Commercial grade NEMA 5-20 on a dedicated circuit right below.

This setup allows charging of a car in either spot. Or both spots, if using both a HPWC and a UMC (but we only have one BEV). As I use the space now, the P3D sits to the right in this picture.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
We opted for a manual transfer switch fed off the existing dryer breaker. We only do laundry on Sunday for the most part, and the car charges on TOU rates with Xcel in the middle of the night, so this works great. NEMA 14-30 plug, and we get about 23/hr charge rate. Wife's commute is 15 miles round trip, but this setup generates enough to handle all our weekend trips. Cable system is from Amazon, and works great for $25 bucks.

IMG_3067.jpg

The mounting bracket (Tesla calls this the chassis holder) is bundled with the Cable Organizer. Cable Organizer

Description: Store your Tesla Mobile Connector cables with the newly redesigned Cable Organizer. Featuring a sturdy bracket to keep your cables neatly stowed, along with a chassis holder to reduce additional wear and tear on your adaptor and outlet.

The chassis holder for the Mobile Connector is shown in the box, along with the cable bracket.

If Tesla's description is not sufficient there is also:
A) Common Sense
B) Ask any electrician whether an electrical receptacle and plug are designed to support additional weight
beyond the power cord
C) Inspect any third party EVSE and it will have mounting tabs or a mounting bracket so it can be mounted to a stud or the wall

I don't need the cable organizer, so I bought the 3D-printed Etsy one you mentioned earlier, thanks! Just arrived, and it'll be great. I wasn't too worried about the weight on mine the way I had it set up, but for 10 bucks it's totally worth the peace of mind. Plus I can run the cable in a cleaner way. I have to invert the outlet to make it work, but imma replace the Leviton with a Bryant when I do that, so even more peace of mind!

Reactions: Big Earl