Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
112k miles here. Starting to wonder if my battery is bad. Had some issues with wh/mi being way higher than normal. Took it in and was told it was the 12v battery. That seemed to fix high wh/mi but now I can't charge to 100% when I need to for longer trips. It will stop anywhere from 93-96% charge and say charge complete. I've tried to balance the BMS to no avail. 2 months ago 100% charge was 249 miles, but now 96% says 230 which would be 239-240 on a full charge. Where did those other 10 miles go in the last 2 months? Why can't I charge to 100%? Just seems odd that this is all happening now. Before that no issues at all.
I'm guessing V9 changed the algorithm.

112k miles here. Starting to wonder if my battery is bad. Had some issues with wh/mi being way higher than normal. Took it in and was told it was the 12v battery. That seemed to fix high wh/mi but now I can't charge to 100% when I need to for longer trips. It will stop anywhere from 93-96% charge and say charge complete. I've tried to balance the BMS to no avail. 2 months ago 100% charge was 249 miles, but now 96% says 230 which would be 239-240 on a full charge. Where did those other 10 miles go in the last 2 months? Why can't I charge to 100%? Just seems odd that this is all happening now. Before that no issues at all.

Yes that sounds like your battery is going bad. Everything you described points to some failure in the battery. A sudden loss in range, charging stops before 100%.
I once had my BMS getting confused and shows -5% battery level. When I charged it it stopped at 95%. After a while it corrected itself. What you could try is charge all the day to as high as it allows you, then drive it down to as low as you can safely, charge again to 100%. Basically try to do a few full cycles. Or at least as deep of a cycles as you can do reasonably. That way the BMS can determine the capacity better. But honestly it sounds like your battery is having some issues.

• Informative
Reactions: camthehombre
Yes that sounds like your battery is going bad. Everything you described points to some failure in the battery. A sudden loss in range, charging stops before 100%.
I once had my BMS getting confused and shows -5% battery level. When I charged it it stopped at 95%. After a while it corrected itself. What you could try is charge all the day to as high as it allows you, then drive it down to as low as you can safely, charge again to 100%. Basically try to do a few full cycles. Or at least as deep of a cycles as you can do reasonably. That way the BMS can determine the capacity better. But honestly it sounds like your battery is having some issues.
I actually just started doing this. I got it down to zero as I know my commute really well. Doesn’t seem to have resolved it but I’ll keep it up. A weird thing that happened today though was I was unable to supercharge. The charge port ring stayed blue and it sat for ages saying “starting to charge” and then it would just say “charging stopped” never went green or red, just blue pulsing. I thought it might be the stall so I tried another 2 with no luck. I even went to a different supercharger tonight just to see and the same thing. When I called Tesla the guy was nice but didn’t seem too worried about it. Other people on different parts of the forums say it could be the high voltage junction box, but all of these things combined lead me to believe it is the battery. Though last time I took they car in they said it was fine. We will see I guess!

When I called Tesla the guy was nice but didn’t seem too worried about it. Other people on different parts of the forums say it could be the high voltage junction box, but all of these things combined lead me to believe it is the battery. Though last time I took they car in they said it was fine. We will see I guess!

Keep in mind, Tesla's service is hopelessly overworked and they try to talk themselves out of anything they can. Sometimes you have to be a little more assertive :)
It would be interesting to see your BMS data. That can often reveal interesting things.

Keep in mind, Tesla's service is hopelessly overworked and they try to talk themselves out of anything they can. Sometimes you have to be a little more assertive :)
It would be interesting to see your BMS data. That can often reveal interesting things.

That’s fair. I was trying to be nice for the same reason of them being slammed. I know it wasn’t his fault.

Is there a way for me to see the BMS data? Or is that a Tesla internal only thing?

That’s fair. I was trying to be nice for the same reason of them being slammed. I know it wasn’t his fault.

Is there a way for me to see the BMS data? Or is that a Tesla internal only thing?

All Model S / X have a port where you can access it. Search for 'Scan my Tesla' here. It's an app that reads it via bluetooth and an adapter.

• Informative
Feb_1_2019_jerry.jpg

I actually just started doing this. I got it down to zero as I know my commute really well. Doesn’t seem to have resolved it but I’ll keep it up. A weird thing that happened today though was I was unable to supercharge. The charge port ring stayed blue and it sat for ages saying “starting to charge” and then it would just say “charging stopped” never went green or red, just blue pulsing. I thought it might be the stall so I tried another 2 with no luck. I even went to a different supercharger tonight just to see and the same thing. When I called Tesla the guy was nice but didn’t seem too worried about it. Other people on different parts of the forums say it could be the high voltage junction box, but all of these things combined lead me to believe it is the battery. Though last time I took they car in they said it was fine. We will see I guess!

I had the same issue on my p85d. Tesla enduro replacing the master charger, port, and high voltage junction box. Not sure why it happened and how to prevent it. Do you supercharge all the time? I had 60k miles on the car when the issue occurred. Keep us posted on what happened

I had the same issue on my p85d. Tesla enduro replacing the master charger, port, and high voltage junction box. Not sure why it happened and how to prevent it. Do you supercharge all the time? I had 60k miles on the car when the issue occurred. Keep us posted on what happened
Same situation. Just got it back the other day. The replaces the master charger from gen one with a new gen 2 and the HVJB, and also something about Electrical Isolation?
I take a lot of trips and supercharge then but for the most part I just charge nightly at home. Cost about $2600 all in. Only “issue” is when I first plug in at supercharger now the ring goes red for a moment before charging. If it charges fine from here on out i don’t mind but it never did that before so it makes me a little nervous

Reactions: bomquito
Same situation. Just got it back the other day. The replaces the master charger from gen one with a new gen 2 and the HVJB, and also something about Electrical Isolation?
I take a lot of trips and supercharge then but for the most part I just charge nightly at home. Cost about $2600 all in. Only “issue” is when I first plug in at supercharger now the ring goes red for a moment before charging. If it charges fine from here on out i don’t mind but it never did that before so it makes me a little nervous

Good thing mine was fixed under the warranty. Did they collaborate on how or why it happened? I supercharge maybe once a month on average.

Good thing mine was fixed under the warranty. Did they collaborate on how or why it happened? I supercharge maybe once a month on average.
Nope. They said they send off my old charger to be checked by Tesla to see what was wrong with it. I only know that because I asked for the old one back as it legally is my property, but they said it was their policy (not sure how they believe a policy overrides a law, but I don't think it's worth the hassle). I was hoping to sell it on ebay or something to someone who knows how to fix it and recoup even a little bit of my bill. Apart from that, they had no explanation as to why it happened or what happened.

I'm hoping that my battery will be covered under the warranty. I'm sure they will run tests on my S and will report what they find out. My work commute is about 150 miles with some hills. I used to be able to make the trip in one charge, now i have to charge 15 mins. Antelope Valley to Ridgecrest, luckily they have 2 supercharging stations along the way.

Having my S for so long, i did start to notice connection issues to the supercharger. I received the red ring of death, I think that's a hardware link error. I have to reinsert and it starts working as long as it goes in straight without pulling. Funny thing is there was another S that was old as mine and had the same exact problem. Poor guy tried all the stations in lone pine and then tried inyokern with no luck. I told him that he should try reinserting and make sure it doesn't pull the cable. This time it made a proper handshake and started charging properly. Definitely a trip to service center is needed for both of us.

Update after service from center.
I thought they would check they health of the battery as part of annual service, they don't. The service center replied they do not check the battery status at all unless you have an issue.

Request HV battery check ( 269 miles upon purchase vs 220 miles now)
Correction: HV Battery Capacity Test

Test results are normal.

I bought my P85+ used and the trip meter was reset. Is there any way to access the lifetime average? My average for the last 40k miles is 413 Wh/mi.
There's no way you can do it. Tesla can, but whether they will or not is the question. I've always thought there should be a non-resettable lifetime average display.