Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the range reduction is from the 16.1+ software enforcing a lower maximum voltage (~4.1v instead of 4.2v) at 100% SoC. there's a (very) long thread about it.

as for me, I've only had my used 2015 P85D for about 3000 miles now, but I consistently get 420wh/mil, both in day to day use and over the whole time I've owned the car.

seems really high to me, though I typically drive 80mph.

It is interesting how much lifetime energy usage can vary from one car to another.
I read on here ages ago about somebody who developed a scraping sound and their consumption went up (i.e., range down). It turned out it was a pebble under a brake pad. It made me wonder how small differences in wheel bearings or lubrication or whatnot might have unexpectedly large impacts. Often range differences are explained as people having a "heavy foot" or living in an extreme climate, but maybe it's just differences in cars, too.

I read on here ages ago about somebody who developed a scraping sound and their consumption went up (i.e., range down). It turned out it was a pebble under a brake pad. It made me wonder how small differences in wheel bearings or lubrication or whatnot might have unexpectedly large impacts. Often range differences are explained as people having a "heavy foot" or living in an extreme climate, but maybe it's just differences in cars, too.
Usually it's temperature. Grease and oil have much more friction at low temperatures. A car that really cared about efficiency would have a heater to heat the drivetrain lubricants if the weather was cold (e.g. less than 14C). (No car does this, of course, but I have seen owners put heating coils to prewarm the drivetrain.).

My reported Kwh/mile is about the same as yours. But I don't trust it any more, because my actual range (2014 S 60 with only 35K miles) has degraded dramatically - about 110 miles on standard charge, down from 160-something at purchase, while the energy consumption rate shown on the dashboard is still around 330. I'm starting a separate thread about that.

Tesla-range-110mi.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
the range reduction is from the 16.1+ software enforcing a lower maximum voltage (~4.1v instead of 4.2v) at 100% SoC. there's a (very) long thread about it.

as for me, I've only had my used 2015 P85D for about 3000 miles now, but I consistently get 420wh/mil, both in day to day use and over the whole time I've owned the car.

seems really high to me, though I typically drive 80mph.

The 80 mph is the killer. Frequently enjoying the acceleration is another.
About half of my driving is on the interstate at similar speeds. Mine (S90D) is 352 wh/mi, long term.

So what the the wh/mi that gives the best chance of displayed range?

I was told (Tesla rep) that I would need to achieve 277 wh/mile to get the rated range of 285 miles from my 2016 S90D. First, this low consumption rate is not achievable in my car with any sort of normal driving pattern. (My ordinary driving uses 352 wh/mi). Second, my battery has less capacity than needed to achieve 285 miles even if I could get down to 277 wh/mile.

So what the the wh/mi that gives the best chance of displayed range?

wk057 started a thread a few years ago with data he gleaned from the firmware. He posted the Wh/Mi used to calculate expected range for each car available at the time. I recall the refresh S 90D was 285 Wh/Mi. You can search for it (I find Google searches the forum well). I forget the name of the thread at the moment.

Does anyone get to those numbers here?

I sometimes do and sometimes beat it. I got 270 yesterday. My lifetime is 304 though. It goes up a fair bit in the winter and the first year my average was around 330 Wh/Mi. I've been getting better at driving efficiently.

I've found that anticipating stoplights and maximizing regen makes a big difference. One day a few months ago I had to jam on the brakes rather than regen when someone in front of me did something silly at a light. I drove 40 miles that trip and that one stop using brakes brought my Wh/Mi for the trip up to around 320 Wh/Mi.