Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of confirmed Australian Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Potts point eh? I'm in Darlinghurst without off-street parking.

I too am parking in the street. It's a quiet street, and I wonder how illegal would it be to run the charging cable across the path to the car?

I'd get some of those industrial cable-hiding speed bump things to make it safe for the very few pedestrians that go by.

it's a temporary solution till we move, thoughts?

That would be pretty sweet... Still not as convenient as kerbside charging stations, but definitely workable. My wife drives about an hour to work each day, so it's just over the 500km mark. I walk. She's told me I get to have a go on weekends. :).

It definitely isn't as convenient but hopefully it's workable. Just ask the Mrs to drop by the SC when the battery is around 20% and then charge for 25min.

Potts point eh? I'm in Darlinghurst without off-street parking. I'm still working out exactly how to charge the new car. I've got an HPWC installed at my parents' place in Coogee, but it'd be nice to avoid trekking over there two nights a week to charge... (Although I'm sure they'd love it!). :). There are charging points in the City of Sydney car park, so that might be the best option. What's the plan at your end?

You're a braver man than I, buying a Model S without off street parking.
In a nut shell I bought an investment apartment down the road with an undercover parking space, I rent the apartment without parking and park my car in the space.
I spent 2 years negotiating with the Owners Corporation to get a separate electricity service installed. Only then did I order the Model S.
Full details here

I too am parking in the street. It's a quiet street, and I wonder how illegal would it be to run the charging cable across the path to the car?

I'd get some of those industrial cable-hiding speed bump things to make it safe for the very few pedestrians that go by.

it's a temporary solution till we move, thoughts?

I've been considering the same thing. We have about a half-width footpath out the front of our house, and it would be easy to install a power point of some sort in a reasonably convenient location. We get that parking spot regularly enough that it would work well, and the neighbours wouldn't mind too much. The only real concern is the safety aspect of running a cable across the footpath, and, as you say... Running it under the speed bump thing would help. According to some friends from Ausgrid, temporary solutions like this are actually much more workable from their point of view than permanent installations.

All of this -- solving these problems -- is part of the reason I bought in to Tesla.

I've been considering the same thing. We have about a half-width footpath out the front of our house, and it would be easy to install a power point of some sort in a reasonably convenient location. We get that parking spot regularly enough that it would work well, and the neighbours wouldn't mind too much. The only real concern is the safety aspect of running a cable across the footpath, and, as you say... Running it under the speed bump thing would help. According to some friends from Ausgrid, temporary solutions like this are actually much more workable from their point of view than permanent installations.

All of this -- solving these problems -- is part of the reason I bought in to Tesla.

Speaking for myself (not JET Charge) - I would advise caution on this. Even if you DID manage to get the right electrical connection, you would still most definitely need to get Council's approval. Because you're interfering with the sidewalk, you'll most likely need a traffic/safety assessment. It would be the equivalent in mind of some kind of public works. Not an easy task to get through Council I don't think, especially if it's going to be there on a fairly permanent basis. Having said that, I'm sure it's doable - but a lot of hassle. I would definitely NOT just run a cable without telling council - because they will find out (as they do regular neighbourhood drives) and you'll be in a whole lot of sh*t.

I think we absolutely need to find a solution for situations like yours as well as those in high rise apartments who don't have the skills or patience that meloccom does in getting it through body corporate. I think Tesla will do a great job in setting up Superchargers, but at the same time, it would be impossible to put them in enough locations to serve all owners conveniently. There needs to be a better way that doesn't involve waiting around a public charger for 4-6 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Is 16 days " in production" a new record?

Think of it like this Dborn, even if your car went into "transit" it probably won't get on a ship yet. Even if it did get on a ship it would just be languishing in Sydney somewhere waiting for the service centre to open. They've already assured you that you're going to get it well before Christmas - so don't worry!

Speaking for myself (not JET Charge) - I would advise caution on this. Even if you DID manage to get the right electrical connection, you would still most definitely need to get Council's approval. Because you're interfering with the sidewalk, you'll most likely need a traffic/safety assessment. It would be the equivalent in mind of some kind of public works. Not an easy task to get through Council I don't think, especially if it's going to be there on a fairly permanent basis. Having said that, I'm sure it's doable - but a lot of hassle. I would definitely NOT just run a cable without telling council - because they will find out (as they do regular neighbourhood drives) and you'll be in a whole lot of sh*t.

it wouldn't be impossible depends on your council city of sydney is more on board they own EVs already (and installed those 15amp sockets you mentioned earlier in their public car parks) and you wouldn't be the first person to put in curbside charging (see american example Curbside EV Charger Project Green Home ).

public liability insurance encase someone trips on cable..i agree it would be a right pain to get approval but not impossible.

there is already a curb side charging in Sydney DECCW Office | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare and goget have 1 or 2 for the toyota PHEVs

Problem solving indeed.

So my theory is get the sparky to install the charger near the front gate (inside on the property), and only run the cable out whilst charging. Have it stashed in the regular holder till then. As soon as the charger turns up, I'll ping the recommended sparky to have a chat with them.

The Tesla guys say there is a ChaDeMo converter in the works, and there's a fast charging station 4.3km from home that it'll work with, so that might be an option too.

Little birdy told me that "Richmond" is the likely spot for the Melbourne service centre.

Problem solving indeed.

So my theory is get the sparky to install the charger near the front gate (inside on the property), and only run the cable out whilst charging. Have it stashed in the regular holder till then. As soon as the charger turns up, I'll ping the recommended sparky to have a chat with them.

The Tesla guys say there is a ChaDeMo converter in the works, and there's a fast charging station 4.3km from home that it'll work with, so that might be an option too.

Little birdy told me that "Richmond" is the likely spot for the Melbourne service centre.

You talking about the one at Coburg Town Hall? That should work!

OK. I got my call from Tesla today! Woohoo!

Unfortunately I missed it so I only have a voicemail from Tim. He said that they were aiming for December so even those of us up in the triple digit reservation numbers are getting a look in. I'll call back tomorrow and see what else I can get out of him.

I really don't want to go away for Christmas now. I'd much rather stay home and drive my Model S around.

I received the call from Tim yesterday, and Linda emailed me last night to say "Your car is expected to go into production next week which will allow us to deliver your Model S just in time for Christmas"

Also, how did you guys find out your reservation number?

It was in the email they sent confirming receipt of the deposit. It had a reservation confirmation number RNxxxxxx and a reservation sequence number (99)

I don't think they allocated reservation numbers to orders placed after the prices were officially launched (at the end of May 2014)

Last edited:
Maybe they know something regarding shipping that we don't know, but transit times by sea are at least 4 weeks. Then customs and predelivery. If they want a launch followed by all sig deliveries in the first or second weeks of December, followed by General production delivery before Christmas as promised, I don't see how this is all going to work. Particularly since I have had a promise that all sigs will be delivered first, and mine is yet to complete!! Are they flying my car out?