Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living in constant fear of v9....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you like the map as the most significant data, then you'll probably love V9. If you prefer to have the rear view cam up all the time, you probably won't like V9.
You mean if you only want map on the screen, and you never manually turn on headlights, use hands free call features, raise or lower suspension while driving, turn on heated steering wheel or rear seats, adjust climate controls, etc. Basically if you never use the screen for anything than maps, sure, I can see being fine with v9. Don't know how many people out there do that though, I suspect those people could live with a blank screen to begin with, driving their cars like they'd ride a mule - point in in the general direction and let the mule decide the rest.

You mean if you only want map on the screen, and you never manually turn on headlights, use hands free call features, raise or lower suspension while driving, turn on heated steering wheel or rear seats, adjust climate controls, etc..etc...
Fascinating list!

I have never once manually turned on headlights -- auto works fine.

I never use my cellphone in the car, for distracted driving safety reasons, so no interest in hands-free calling features.

I deliberately purchased coil suspension, so no need to adjust air suspension on the fly. (My concern with air suspension is that it was unnecessary complexity that would be expensive to fix when it broke.)

I don't have a heated steering wheel -- something I regret -- nor heated rear seats, so no need to turn them on or off.

I generally leave climate control on auto and turn it on or off, and adjust the temperature, with the right steering wheel button, so no need to fuss with climate control settings, save for turning defogging on, which is a single touch button. I do agree that the custom climate control settings are much worse in V9 than in V8.1, but I rarely use them because auto works well.

I do use voice navigation a lot on road trips, which is most of my miles, albeit fewer days than local driving. And I use the media player a lot, both for streaming and USB, so I usually have the media player up, although I mostly control it from the left steering wheel buttons. I always have the map in satellite view because it is pretty where I live and interesting to watch.

I do use the main screen a lot for other things while parked, especially while Supercharging on road trips. Makes it less of a safety issue to adjust things while parked, IMO.

I suppose my use case is akin to your "mule driver," by your standards! So be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: talels
I don't understand why people are afraid of change. Overall, v9 is better than v8. Just quit whining, install it, and get on with life.

Except that:

- winter settings are ONLY available when enabling HVAC, this is the most SUPER annoying thing! Why can't not all HVAC + car doors + wintersettings be presented in one big screen?!
- You cannot have a browser open + energy
- The browser window has unneeded large margin/borders
- Often doesn't show the rear camera until magically undefined moment it appears
- Having maps always opens degrades performance (I have MCU2, it must be horrible with MCU1)
- The browser often hangs for apps that have background events and use GEO location (but maybe this is also a problem with v8)

The only thing I like is that the icons moved to the bottom and that they are flat.

I've always found the browser useless and gave up on it a long time ago. My car has MCU1 and the maps are plenty fast for my driving. In fact, v9 runs everything much faster on my MCU1 car than v8 did. I can't stand having the backup camera up unless I'm actually backing up, so that's a non-issue for me. I guess I like fulltime maps as I kept the map up top with v8 anyway, so v9 is just faster and generally better organized update for me.

I don't understand why people are afraid of change. Overall, v9 is better than v8. Just quit whining, install it, and get on with life.
I find V9 ok and it works well enough for my usage, but I very much disagree that it is better than V8. V9 seems to be dumbed-down version of Model 3 software with few advantages over V8 and a lot of disadvantages. Those complaining about it have valid points IMO.

Whether Tesla will do anything more to fix V9 remains to be seen — they responded very quickly to an initial complaint: restoring the ability to keep a chosen window near the top, albeit only with the media player below. My guess is that we will just have to live with it as is, like it or not. (Until they make it worse someday with V10. :()

Yes. And older versions would show the energy graph and speed on the map in the mobile app, updated in real time as the car moved. I don't believe that's there anymore, but I could be wrong.
Can anyone confirm this? My old Tesla came with V7 & then went to V8 because the Service Center disobeyed my request to not install it. I hated V8 until the day I sold that car when I moved. The Tesla I'm in the process of buying has V9 and I'm a bit concerned that it's going to be worse than V8 for my use.
Not true, unless those new owners have never driven any other cars. People knowingly sacrifice good UI/UX for the EV drivetrain and driving performance, like people who drive supercars without AC.
Very true. I am absolutely sacrificing the UI/UX for the EV powertrain & Supercharging.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Fascinating list!

I have never once manually turned on headlights -- auto works fine.

I never use my cellphone in the car, for distracted driving safety reasons, so no interest in hands-free calling features.

I deliberately purchased coil suspension, so no need to adjust air suspension on the fly. (My concern with air suspension is that it was unnecessary complexity that would be expensive to fix when it broke.)

I don't have a heated steering wheel -- something I regret -- nor heated rear seats, so no need to turn them on or off.

I generally leave climate control on auto and turn it on or off, and adjust the temperature, with the right steering wheel button, so no need to fuss with climate control settings, save for turning defogging on, which is a single touch button. I do agree that the custom climate control settings are much worse in V9 than in V8.1, but I rarely use them because auto works well.

I do use voice navigation a lot on road trips, which is most of my miles, albeit fewer days than local driving. And I use the media player a lot, both for streaming and USB, so I usually have the media player up, although I mostly control it from the left steering wheel buttons. I always have the map in satellite view because it is pretty where I live and interesting to watch.

I do use the main screen a lot for other things while parked, especially while Supercharging on road trips. Makes it less of a safety issue to adjust things while parked, IMO.

I suppose my use case is akin to your "mule driver," by your standards! So be it.
Sounds like you are the target candidate for v9, screen is for decoration while driving and for entertainment while charging. I guess the air suspension, which is no longer mandatory, is also there for entertainment purposes - go up and down while supercharging to amuse yourself ;)

• Love
Reactions: neroden and am_dmd
... they responded very quickly to an initial complaint: restoring the ability to keep a chosen window near the top, albeit only with the media player below.
Actually, only rear cam can be on top of the media player, so saying "chosen window" is misleading, since there is only one choice. But, grant you, this is very typical of Tesla, do a little and let rumors spurred by Elon's tweets do the work. This is why many people think Teslas can drive themselves while you sleep on the back seat.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and am_dmd
I brought my S in for some warranty work (again) today and got a loaner that has 2018.36 on it. Back to 8.1 and I realized I really don't miss it.

9.0 has a few UI glitches, like needing to temporarily turn on the HVAC just to enable the heated seats and steering wheel -- but then I can quickly turn the HVAC right off. It would be nice for them to fix this, but IMHO it isn't impairing the use of the car.

I'm with Sorka on this. I just took my car in last week for the annual (yes annual) 12V battery replacement and got it back with v9 installed. I hate this mess. I've owned this car since 2012 and have experienced every version of firmware for it, and V9 is easily the worst of all of them, even worse than v1. I just don't get it, they claim to be a Silicon Valley company, and claim the car is mostly software. How can they be this bad?

I just wish they would fix the %^&%*)&^*#$% media player :(
Tesla doesn't fix things in software updates. They break things in software updates. That's what software updates are for, right? :rolleyes:

I've completely given up on any hope of Tesla's software department ever having anything resembling basic competence in addressing real use cases of customers. Service has standing orders never to update my software.

Tesla doesn't fix things in software updates. They break things in software updates. That's what software updates are for, right? :rolleyes:

I've completely given up on any hope of Tesla's software department ever having anything resembling basic competence in addressing real use cases of customers. Service has standing orders never to update my software.
I agree they really need to spend some effort on the MCU software.
I don't mind the current layout in V9, but since I got my car in 2016 on V7 there have been problems with streaming, USB media, reboots, slow car starting, etc etc.
This is (unlike SpaceX) not rocket science. Humans can make good software.

On the other hand, I've had a look at many other cars UI and the dinky little screens would drive me crazy.

V9 is an embarrassment.

Gave an architect (software, not buildings) a ride the other day. He was incredulous that there was a fart app and horribly bad UI/UX, as this presented an obvious mixup in priorities.

While he appreciated the car’s performance, he became a non-buyer that day because of the poor UI/UX.

You read that right - a sale lost due to v9.

Imagine when a competitor delivers competent UI/UX. People base buying decisions upon such things when they are not overly-forgiving early adopters - as many of us staunchly are.

Don’t think so? Are you married? :).

As I’ve noted - Tesla’s greatest competitive advantages are the global SC network and battery technology. Tesla’s greatest weaknesses include UI/UX, service inconsistencies, and a growing number of unmet promises that are directly proportional to the number of current and future class actions.

They’ve made progress with service, and with a few more adults in the room, fewer irresponsible statements should emanate from Dear Leader. That leaves UI/UX.

Think of software versions as political candidates with some % of favorables and some number of unfavorables. For those who have owned cars w/ v6, v7, v8, and v9, how would you rank them?

I don’t expect Tesla to change until the competition spanks them in the UI/UX arena. Why? Because at the rate of 360,000 new vehicles/year, the number of new owners will soon dwarf the old guard. And new owners don’t know any better.

That doesn’t make new owners worse, btw - it just means that they lack the frame of reference and experience to comment credibly about the differences and decline in UI/UX quality over time. A few, however, know good UI from bad and hopefully will be just as vocal as the old guard to get some of the more glaring errors fixed sooner than later.

Every time someone tells me Tesla is more a SW company, than a car maker I just want them to look at what Tesla calls a user interface these days. And to be honest here, Windows 98 probably came with a better media player, than my S ever had.

They build great cars, but I wouldn't call the SW (besides AP) a selling point anymore. And especially with Apple car play and Android something something and soon Amazon, we start so see some real big guns entering the "smart car" stage and this will intensify.

IMO Tesla should start to focus a lot more on UI again, because otherwise people will buy cars with better OSes eventually.