Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living in constant fear of v9....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Don’t get why some hate V9. Treats me well.

It is about pro-choice and anti-choice that's associated with V9.

For example, Model S was never designed for towing but Model X was.

What if to accept Vs, owners cannot do towing anymore. Prior to Vs, you could tow if you bought Model X, but for the sake of harmony, instead of making Model S better by adding towing, Vs takes away towing to conform with original Model S design.

Back to reality, V9 tries to harmonize all S, X, 3 but instead of making Model 3 better like S and X, it restricts the choices to make it more like Model 3.

With Model 3 you cannot have any window you want on the top half and any window you want on bottom half because of the screen limitation of 15", horizontal layout, and sharing with Instrument clusters.

Prior to V9, Model S and X were not restricted to the layout of 15" screen, so in implementing V9, instead of making Model 3 better as the S and X, it makes the S and X worse to the screen limitation as if all now have 15" screen!

It's about the race to the bottom.

Last edited:
...That video is not the V9...

I agree. No, it is not V9.

V9 CANNOT have camera on top and Teslawinds.com on bottom.

Because that youtube shows it's possible, it is NOT V9.

It's only possible to switch any way you want between 2 top/bottom windows if it is NOT V9.

That Youtube is: Tesla Model X Enhanced Autopilot AP2 firmware version 8.1 (2018.32.2 3817fdd).

Reactions: boonedocks
Boy, first world problems yeah? I've only known V9 on our (one month old to us) 2013 MS 85. Navigation with Supercharging stations (and charging durations) was helpful on my 380 mile drive back from the delivery center. I can get the rear view camera on the top if I have the media player expanded. I love the ability to precondition the car from the mobile app and remotely monitor the location and status of the car when I'm not driving it. Finally, the whoopee cushion app has been amusing for both my wife and our young nephews. I haven't had any issues with V9, no hang ups, no reboots, and no delays at startup.

...I haven't had any issues with V9...

Tesla doesn't offer Towing in an S, then I can choose an X.

Lots of people have no issues with the lack of towing, but that doesn't mean there is something wrong with people choosing an X for towing.

Many people have no issues choosing a red color for their cars.

The issue is those people are puzzled and ask why can't all other people in the whole world only buy red because they don't have any issues at all!

They don't mind that the world only have red cars and the only choices are red. Reduction of choices is fine for them.

Sure. Lots of people have no issues with V9, but that does not mean others don't.

The lack of the ability for a user to mix and match any window between 2 top/bottom ones do bother some people, currently about more than 500 people.

• Love
Reactions: Knightowl
CF8253D6-CE25-4DD4-BE1B-D07D4770B3B3.jpeg

Maybe I’m the template of how they’re going to force updates then?

My IC has gone all kandinsky. So I called service & a few hours later they called back after diagnostics & said I have an ancient version 2018.18.2 - (no nags) - and that I need to update. Nag apocalypse lol

View attachment 375420

Maybe I’m the template of how they’re going to force updates then?

My IC has gone all kandinsky. So I called service & a few hours later they called back after diagnostics & said I have an ancient version 2018.18.2 - (no nags) - and that I need to update. Nag apocalypse lol
I'm on 2018.14.2 and I have no problems. Maybe see if they can fix/replace the IC without updating. I bet they'll say they can't.

Windows 8, 10 is OK, Microsoft skipped 9.
Apple OS X is OK. (Roman numeral 10)
iPhone 6, 7, 8 and then X .. skipped 9

Tesla 10.. will probably be OK. I'm waiting for this one .. by personally skipping 9 so long as I can.

Tesla should have followed suit with the big boys and skipped v 9 as well.
It's just a bad omen in tech land.. but is a lucky number to Chinese. Go figure.

Last edited:
I don't like v9, but you CAN have the camera at the top of the screen. The first release of v9 didn't allow it, but it does now.
Not quiet the top, close, but you can't have nav or browser on the bottom, at least in any v9 I've seen. Also, it takes more touch clicks to do simple things like turn on headlights, or make a phone call (can't have the phone app on top either, so have to look down for hands free operation while driving). Buttons are tiny and on the bottom of the screen forcing the driver to take attention off the road. I guess v9 was supposed to be for FSD cars where the driver can be playing Atari games and make far noises while the car drives. Unfortunately, in Elon world view everyone already has FSD.

All the previous releases were a mixed bag, some were annoying and buggy but I got used to them after few weeks. V9 annoys me every time I drive the car, even though I had it for a while now.