Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lol, one day people will blame taking showers at 6pm on a grid failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have access to cheap (for now at least) ng but replacing my ng water heater with a heat pump hybrid water heater is one of the most satisfying purchases I’ve made…. I love the “ free ‘ hot water with my solar .. and the controllability / adaptability of the water heater is awesome
How do you have free hot water with solar at 6am?

I wonder if canned O2 like climbers use would be a possibility as a stopgap measure in case that happened again?
I don’t know a whole lot about the ones used by climbers but I suspect they would quickly runout at the flowrate used to treat moderate CO poisonings …. If they are even capable of that rate and the proper mask is available. As for severe cases or those with preexisting conditions pure O2 in a hyperbaric chamber ideally should be used … unlikely to be available near small towns.
The idea is to force the CO molecule off the hemoglobin using oxygen... problem is CO has a much higher affinity for hemoglobin than oxygen molecule. So at normal atmosphere would take many hours … high flow pure O2 brings it down to hour or few hours Hyperbaric even quicker.
All this is not just for immediate survival with cognitive function intact it is to decrease long term health issues of cns / cardiovascular system and so on
CO nasty stuff for the body in high concentrations
Sorry for the tangent 😜

Reactions: DrGriz
How do you have free hot water with solar at 6am?
Yes I have power walls … but you could also program heatpump water heater to heat up water to say 140-150F from 9am - 4pm when making solar then would use that hot water throughout rest of day / night without water heater needing to run until 9am then just repeat

That‘s one expensive water heater 😟
Upfront may seem so but in long term was not (or should not be for me after 10 years use …. I paid all in tax / delivery $1700 for a 65gal Rheem …
Received $300 fed rebate on taxes then I save or will save $12 / month in ng by getting rid of ng heater ( and that is prior to last winter ng price hike we saw ) so over 10 years that’s ~ $1400 I save .
Reason I say 10 years is rheem has 10 year parts warranty (1 year labor) so,I figure I can keep it running 10 years
oh yea installed myself not very difficult … hardest part getting it up on pedestal in garage … hybrid heater is top heavy and overall heavier than ng or straight electric

Reactions: nwdiver
Orrrrr … homeowners could step into this decade of water heater tech and get a heat pump / hybrid water heater … uses about 300-400w running in heat pump mode … can even be set to not run at all during certain hours say peak time 🤓🤯

Dude a hybrid water heater sounds more responsible and normal than my clickbait about how you'll be chastised for taking a shower at 6pm. Why are you poo pooing my anti-PoCo rants? 😿

• Funny
Reactions: Electrph
I have access to cheap (for now at least) ng but replacing my ng water heater with a heat pump hybrid water heater is one of the most satisfying purchases I’ve made…. I love the “ free ‘ hot water with my solar .. and the controllability / adaptability of the water heater is awesome

What brand is it? Edit, nevermind I see you put in a Rheem. What's the model?

I'm starting to hear a ton of complaints about the size of the water heater I just put in 2019... probably need to find an 80 gallon hybrid heat pump model as a "yelling minimization" purchase in 2023 (thanks Biden!)

What brand is it? Edit, nevermind I see you put in a Rheem. What's the model?

I'm starting to hear a ton of complaints about the size of the water heater I just put in 2019... probably need to find an 80 gallon hybrid heat pump model as a "yelling minimization" purchase in 2023 (thanks Biden!)
its a rheem "performance platinum" goes on sale home depot at least few times a year despite the model name i think its most basic in their line ...
you may be fine with a 65 gallon or less depending on household size since it can be programmed to prepare for peak times uaing temp / mode (high demand mode etc)
we do fine in mornings with wife and I plus 2 teen girls and one preteen girl ...
they used to bring our old 50 gallon 3 year old ng water heater to its knees by 9am 🤣

I would love to do that but suspect my electricity use for that alone would be more than the 9 kWh of solar I generate a day in the winter. Leaving us with no solar to recharge the Powerwalls. For now, we have a NG tankless unit

I would love to do that but suspect my electricity use for that alone would be more than the 9 kWh of solar I generate a day in the winter. Leaving us with no solar to recharge the Powerwalls. For now, we have a NG tankless unit
it uses a lot less than i anticipated .. i can look exact numbers on water heater app but from memory uses about 2.5 kWh per day in summer and about 2.8 kWh per day in winter... uses MUCH less energy than a straight electric water heater .. unless u have it set totally wrong ... mine almost never uses heating elements except extreme unusual cases ( my parents and nephews visiting) and then only for 5 to 10min per day to "catch up"

Last edited:
Reactions: nwdiver
I don't think mine uses even 2 kwh a day. (80 gal rheem). When I go on vacation, it takes about 1 kwh to catch up for 5 days of standby losses.
Everyone's use varies of course. But I put mine at about 1.5 kwh a day during average use. Less in summer, more in winter but overall 1.5 kwh.
yea varies as you say .. if it were just my wife and myself yea prob 1 kwh per day 😝.... dang kids

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz
It's one thing to ban a gas furnace in a new construction project but banning them outright is going to slam homeowners/condo associations really hard. Imagine you live in a coastal area that's pretty much always chilly/never needs AC (somewhere like Santa Barbara or Cambria) and your 40+ year old home doesn't have AC - but does have a natural gas furnace. Once furnaces are banned, the only way to get a replacement is to have a heat pump installed which would require the addition of a new outdoor unit, running a refrigerant lineset, new ducting, etc. In most cases this is easily going to cost $15,000 or more. Or perhaps most homes would need mini split systems. And not everyone wants an unsightly HVAC unit stuck on every wall in their home.

The other thing that concerns me is the slippery slope aspect. How much longer before gas dryers and ovens/stoves are banned outright? I live in a condo that supports gas appliances only; there are no NEMA 14-30 or 14-50 hookups for electric appliances. The costs to retrofit/upgrade my entire ~250 unit HOA to accept electric appliances would be astronomical.

It's one thing to ban a gas furnace in a new construction project but banning them outright is going to slam homeowners/condo associations really hard. Imagine you live in a coastal area that's pretty much always chilly/never needs AC (somewhere like Santa Barbara or Cambria) and your 40+ year old home doesn't have AC - but does have a natural gas furnace. Once furnaces are banned, the only way to get a replacement is to have a heat pump installed which would require the addition of a new outdoor unit, running a refrigerant lineset, new ducting, etc. In most cases this is easily going to cost $15,000 or more. Or perhaps most homes would need mini split systems. And not everyone wants an unsightly HVAC unit stuck on every wall in their home.
Coastal locations with mild climates are some of the dumbest places to heat with gas furnaces. I'd be more concerned about people in places like Tahoe. But still, if your grid is running off of 100% renewables and nuclear power, and is zero emissions, it's probably better to use electric heat strips when it gets too cold to use heat pumps.
The other thing that concerns me is the slippery slope aspect. How much longer before gas dryers and ovens/stoves are banned outright? I live in a condo that supports gas appliances only; there are no NEMA 14-30 or 14-50 hookups for electric appliances. The costs to retrofit/upgrade my entire ~250 unit HOA to accept electric appliances would be astronomical.
They'll have to wire the parking spaces for level 2 charging anyway. Might as well convert everything at the same time. I think gas ovens make less sense to ban because you can't use a heat pump to heat an oven -- the temperature difference is too big.

Not going to ban gas appliances and boilers/furnaces completely due to the retrofit issue. Like-for-like replacement has long been built into building and electrical codes for precisely that reason.

The main thing is to stop new builds adding to the problem, and have those new builds "do the right thing" and they'll help build up all the new infrastructure so that major renovation/retrofits become easier.