Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long work commute, possible long term durability problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys/gals,

Looking to potentially using my Model 3 to commute to work everyday, however, I do work 30 miles one day. My estimated yearly mileage is probably 18000-20000 miles, which is more than the American average. Would there be possibly long term problems for driving more than the American average per year for long periods, or am I just thinking too much and drive it like I steal it?

The answer to your question would require the ability to predict the future.
Tesloop has some cars in the 400k mi range so it’s possible to get a lot of miles from a Tesla. However with your particular vehicle, there are too many variables to predict reliably.

you could just enjoy the car and deal with the problem later. Part of being an early adopter is that you get to suffer any problems so future owners benefit.

When I think of EV's I'm drawn to the fact that they don't have all those parts to repair. ICE engine, tranny, radiator, emission control equipment etc etc. This comes into play as mileage goes up. The ICE cars need to replace those things as they wear out. EV's have fewer parts to wear out. (And hybrids are worse still, with two propulsion systems to wear out.)

So I see EV's as the perfect high mileage car.

As others have pointed out - expect more tire wear and expect your brakes to last a lot longer. And you save on fuel more as you drive more, compared to ICE cars. So drive on and enjoy.

Reactions: house9 and Msjulie
I have 38k miles on my 1 year old car. These are not (mostly) long distance miles. I've replaced tires once, had the garbage smell from my a/c fixed and added a wireless phone charger. Not having Apple CarPlay is the only thing that truly frustrates me on a daily basis, otherwise it's a pleasure to drive and will make your commute many times more effortless, pleasurable and efficient. You wake up every morning with a full tank so you never need to worry about stopping for gas. You're welcome to ask me any questions.

Hey guys/gals,

Looking to potentially using my Model 3 to commute to work everyday, however, I do work 30 miles one day. My estimated yearly mileage is probably 18000-20000 miles, which is more than the American average. Would there be possibly long term problems for driving more than the American average per year for long periods, or am I just thinking too much and drive it like I steal it?

I think this is the perfect car for this.
I do about 37,000 miles a year. So far so good with mine. I’m saving a ton of money on gas.

Reactions: CyberShy
Ive had my 3 for 14 months now and have 40k miles. Im 94 miles 1 way to work most days. Compared to my old accord this car is a no brainer. The best part is never going to the gas station again which was 3x's a week. The heated seats are my best friend because my back gets soar after sitting in the same position for so long. I get to charge for free at work so my savings is fantastic.

Hey guys/gals,

No issues, it's actually a very common commute