Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the standpoint of "what happens during a reboot?", which was the context of that question, the two (stalks vs buttons) are the same.

We are in agreement. I want the stalks replaced with steering wheel buttons as much as I want the foot pedals replaced with steering wheel buttons (zilch).

Playing Mario Kart, I want buttons for all of the functions... but driving IRL those same buttons are insufficient.

So you answered your own question...lol

And I'd love a Mario Kart power slide option on the Tesla!

To me, the one HUGE difference is the ability to make a change without looking vs needing to look to touch a screen. The latter will NEVER be look-less. This is a non-starter for me.
I guess I don't understand. There are numerous times I've told it to go into R and it stayed in Park. I've also had it where I wanted R and instead hit N.

The haptic feedback is not a confirmation of "gear" direction, let alone the one you want. But instead that you requested a command...successful or not, and intent

I guess I don't understand. There are numerous times I've told it to go into R and it stayed in Park. I've also had it where I wanted R and instead hit N.

That has never happened to me and I've never read about it happening to anyone else. With you experiencing that "numerous" times I think you may want to contact Tesla service and have them check things out.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
That has never happened to me and I've never read about it happening to anyone else. With you experiencing that "numerous" times I think you may want to contact Tesla service and have them check things out.
It's not a "problem" with the car, its me not waiting for it to "start" or me too hastly with the shifs and I miss the intended gear.
When I first got my car I had a few of those instances. It was due to sloppy pressing though. I got over that real quick.
I am curious, since I can't recall, aren't the buttons on the wheel/yolk a hard button? Or is it a 'soft' button that responds to touch (not a press)?

I am curious, since I can't recall, aren't the buttons on the wheel/yolk a hard button? Or is it a 'soft' button that responds to touch (not a press)?

To clarify, I meant sloppy stalk pressing. The stalks (turn signals too) expect a "clean" press without any side force and to the correct depth. Once I got used to it, it was fine.

I don't know about the buttons... and don't have any interest in trying them.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
For me it's the people that have to drive the car not knowing what we as owners know. The tint shop that was going to do my car (I bailed as they wanted to take the car to another faclity without my being able to accompany ), didnt have any understanding of the drive (gear) or much else for that matter. I was not going to let him train or experiment on my brand new S. Some places have the experience I know; where I live, they generally do not. ☹️

My biggest complaint so far, early in the learnig curve, is the turn signals. I'd like to FEEL something where I press rather than just an area that is not all that forgiving at times.

Reactions: Electroman
My point, exactly! At least they have back-tracked on the joke-yoke, but I cancelled my Plaid-upgrade because of the "Stalk-Gate".
Yes, I won’t be buying a car without some physical means of setting the direction. I’ve gotten used to the center-only screen but I still don’t like it and there is no rational reason there isn’t at least a minimalist screen or heads-up display in front of the driver. But removing the stalk or the forcing that dumb yolk thing on me are both full deal breakers.
All of this reeks of “we’re different just for the sake of being different.” there’s no real rational reason for any of these three things. The "center screen only” and stalk removal will be chalked up to cost savings and manufacturing efficiency but they are truly minor gains compared to the losses.
The cars need to be practical, not bizarre tributes to someone’s misguided notions of translating first principals to the real world.
In truth, like the yolk, this will likely be changed back to sanity before I’m ready for the next car. If not.... BMW beckons and the charger network issues with other makes will be at least a little better sorted.

The "center screen only” and stalk removal will be chalked up to cost savings and manufacturing efficiency but they are truly minor gains compared to the losses.
I'm not sure why folks despise center-consoles. Many classic british cars, including my '52 MG TD had all of the steam gauge instruments in the center. So do mini's. So do most airplanes.
Personally, I prefer it since, being fairly tall, it means key elements aren't blocked by the steering wheel.
Lack of haptic controls and key ones within easy reach of wheel is a different issue entirely.

I'm not sure why folks despise center-consoles. Many classic british cars, including my '52 MG TD had all of the steam gauge instruments in the center. So do mini's. So do most airplanes.
Personally, I prefer it since, being fairly tall, it means key elements aren't blocked by the steering wheel.
Lack of haptic controls and key ones within easy reach of wheel is a different issue entirely.
Aircraft function differently. You don’t need to check airspeed very often at all. I’d wager 98 percent of the public would would say it’s not a great idea, right up front. Then after actually trying it, those who like it would be a very very low number, those who would tolerate a greater number....but that’s just IMHO. Not sure classic cars are a good yardstick of what is functional.

I wonder if the yoke/stalkless design is a major hinderance in (lack of) sales of the refreshed Model S/X.

If so it would be even more of a misstep to remove stalks on the mass market/mass appeal 3/Y. It would be much harder to have Joe Shmoe relearn how to perform frequently used basic functions like turn signals, gear selection, and even the horn which has been press on the airbag in nearly every vehicle for the last 20+ years. The Tesla experience is already jarring enough for anyone not adept with technology and having to learn one pedal driving. Taking out the stalks would be the last straw.

I wonder if the yoke/stalkless design is a major hinderance in (lack of) sales of the refreshed Model S/X.

If so it would be even more of a misstep to remove stalks on the mass market/mass appeal 3/Y. It would be much harder to have Joe Shmoe relearn how to perform frequently used basic functions like turn signals, gear selection, and even the horn which has been press on the airbag in nearly every vehicle for the last 20+ years. The Tesla experience is already jarring enough for anyone not adept with technology and having to learn one pedal driving. Taking out the stalks would be the last straw.
Hard to say, the sales numbers of the S/X have been not horrible, but impossible to say how many lost sales they have had. My best guess is at least 25%, probably more like 50%. But that is a total guess. Mostly based on the fact that whenever I show photos of it to somebody they think the yoke and no stalks is idiotic and not not something they would ever consider. Same boat for me. But Neither me or most of my friends are in the market for something in that segment. We are mostly all in the Model 3 segment though.

It will be interesting to see how well Highland sells long-term if they go through with no-stalks though. My best guess is 2-5 months of very solid sales from the true believers and Tesla/Elon stans, then down to ~50% year-over-year as everybody else rejects it. Another question is if the sales do tank will they be willing to actually understand why, and backtrack to fix it? If Highland is anything like the S/X refresh, the old 3/Y stalk+clockspring assembly will still be mechanically/electrically compatible and it would just require some software (and the old cowling with holes for the stalks). They will still be using that part in the Y, so sourcing should not be too bad. But this kind of responsiveness is not in Tesla/Elon's character.

Reactions: advocate8
Hard to say, the sales numbers of the S/X have been not horrible, but impossible to say how many lost sales they have had. My best guess is at least 25%, probably more like 50%. But that is a total guess. Mostly based on the fact that whenever I show photos of it to somebody they think the yoke and no stalks is idiotic and not not something they would ever consider. Same boat for me. But Neither me or most of my friends are in the market for something in that segment. We are mostly all in the Model 3 segment though.

It will be interesting to see how well Highland sells long-term if they go through with no-stalks though. My best guess is 2-5 months of very solid sales from the true believers and Tesla/Elon stans, then down to ~50% year-over-year as everybody else rejects it. Another question is if the sales do tank will they be willing to actually understand why, and backtrack to fix it? If Highland is anything like the S/X refresh, the old 3/Y stalk+clockspring assembly will still be mechanically/electrically compatible and it would just require some software (and the old cowling with holes for the stalks). They will still be using that part in the Y, so sourcing should not be too bad. But this kind of responsiveness is not in Tesla/Elon's character.
They did pivot back to round wheel being standard on the S/X now so there’s maybe still some hope they are willing to admit mistakes and backtrack…