Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla cancels all right-hand drive Model S, Model X orders mentions the discontinuation of the Model S and X right-hand-drive versions, as well as mentioning that almost half of those vehicles built in Q1 2023 remain unsold.
I mean not horrible given how polarizing it is. But given the how compelling the rest of the specs for the car are, and how good a value propitiation it is on paper the sales numbers sure don't look great. Not a total disaster, but the refresh was a wash at best for long-term demand. Shocking (not). They must have just done the numbers for the RHD markets and figured it was not worth their time given projected demand. That or there is some regulatory gotcha in one of those markets that we have not heard about that complicated things.

Gotta love self-imposed pain from putting so much work making an otherwise fantastic refresh but to turn off a huge number of potential buyers from a few decisions that are OBVIOUSLY going to alienate a lot of the market. The long-term demand hit is going to be quite a bit worse for the 3 I suspect.

I very much appreciate the center screen. It's less fatiguing driving at night since there's nothing directly in front of you the entire time.

I also appreciate the minimalist interior of the Model 3, right up to the point of removing stalks... then count me out.
The minimalist interior and center screen being the only interface to the vehicle was what turned me off to the Model 3 during the 6 months of EV research. It wasn't until I took an extended test drive that I "got it". I won't go back to an interior full of knobs, buttons, gauges and lights. When I drive my wife's Expedition it's a reminder of how much the minimalist interior works so darn well.

The minimalist interior and center screen being the only interface to the vehicle was what turned me off to the Model 3 during the 6 months of EV research. It wasn't until I took an extended test drive that I "got it". I won't go back to an interior full of knobs, buttons, gauges and lights. When I drive my wife's Expedition it's a reminder of how much the minimalist interior works so darn well.
The minimalist design with most things in a multifunction touch screen works well for less commonly used controls and those which are mainly used while stopped. But it would be helpful if controls that can be used by feel were available for some commonly used while driving controls like HVAC, wipers, and headlights.

It ends with a better CEO.

It's really stunning how quickly and dramatically the tide has turned for Tesla.

In 2021 The Model Y production rates had maxed out, the 3 had been dramatically updated with an industry leading heat pump architecture, and the Plaid appeared to be the most incredible car anyone could buy at any price. There were very long waiting lists for every model, sometimes as long as a year or more. Tesla was building multiple factories around the world - in parallel - and there was no end in sight.

But today there seems to be nothing they can do to keep inventory from piling up. What changed? There's still no real competition - potential candidates like the ID.4, Bolt, Ionic 5, Rivian, etc. are only produced in boutique quantities. Sure, there have been some inflation and interest rate increases, but Tesla sales seem to have slumped more than most, despite the slashed prices and new federal tax credit incentives which favor Tesla more than any other automaker whilst knocking out their only potential competition, VW and Hyundai.

I truly believe the decline is directly attributable to Elon. Just like your weird co-worker, Elon gets mysteriously grumpy every time there's a dip in Dogecoin. He spontaneously spins off into a rage of offensive statements and irrational decisions like publicly insulting his daughter or removing parking sensors. And just like your cousin, whose girlfriend dumped him for another woman while he's trying to start 3 companies, Elon is distracted and confused. He knows the product needs to continually evolve but he can't focus well enough to make logical choices, so he resorts to desperate pleas for attention, like dumbass yokes or stalkless columns.

The good news is that he is aware and did address the issue last week at the "Investor Day" event, saying that he was committed to fixing all of these issues thru the introduction of a new advertising campaign.

It's really stunning how quickly and dramatically the tide has turned for Tesla.

In 2021 The Model Y production rates had maxed out, the 3 had been dramatically updated with an industry leading heat pump architecture, and the Plaid appeared to be the most incredible car anyone could buy at any price. There were very long waiting lists for every model, sometimes as long as a year or more. Tesla was building multiple factories around the world - in parallel - and there was no end in sight.

But today there seems to be nothing they can do to keep inventory from piling up. What changed? There's still no real competition - potential candidates like the ID.4, Bolt, Ionic 5, Rivian, etc. are only produced in boutique quantities. Sure, there have been some inflation and interest rate increases, but Tesla sales seem to have slumped more than most, despite the slashed prices and new federal tax credit incentives which favor Tesla more than any other automaker whilst knocking out their only potential competition, VW and Hyundai.

I truly believe the decline is directly attributable to Elon. Just like your weird co-worker, Elon gets mysteriously grumpy every time there's a dip in Dogecoin. He spontaneously spins off into a rage of offensive statements and irrational decisions like publicly insulting his daughter or removing parking sensors. And just like your cousin, whose girlfriend dumped him for another woman while he's trying to start 3 companies, Elon is distracted and confused. He knows the product needs to continually evolve but he can't focus well enough to make logical choices, so he resorts to desperate pleas for attention, like dumbass yokes or stalkless columns.

The good news is that he is aware and did address the issue last week at the "Investor Day" event, saying that he was committed to fixing all of these issues thru the introduction of a new advertising campaign.

Are Tesla's sales figures really down from last year? I thought they were selling their highest amount ever.

There has been a lot of competition in the last couple of years (EV6, Ioniq 5&6, i4, etc) but Tesla's price decreases should be undercutting most of those models.

Personally, if I knew in May 2022 what I know today I wouldn't have ordered my Tesla. Some but not all of that is because of Elon Musk.

But today there seems to be nothing they can do to keep inventory from piling up. What changed?
What changed?:

Economy is dramatically different now with a severe drop in purchasing power, all around the world but more so in the US. S&P and Nasdaq has dropped more than 20% since the pandemic highs and the consumer sentiment is quite weak.

You add to that the massive increase in production capacity - Berlin & Austin were producing zero model Ys in 2021. Now cranking 10K a week together. China has increased it production by atleast 50% in the last 24 months.

I guess the few 'Woke' that are upset by his Twitter posts enough not to buy the car is perhaps balanced by the few that would buy the car for the same reason.

Reactions: CleanDemon
The turn signals are on the steering wheel, took me about 2.5 weeks to have them memorized via muscle memory. Love it.
I looked at the picture on the Tesla web site. Are those membrane buttons or something else?

Yoke.png

But today there seems to be nothing they can do to keep inventory from piling up. What changed?
Maybe you missed the fact that Tesla has 3 Gigafactories producing cars today. In 2021, they only had 2.
This only has to be good as they're still selling cars to everyone who's willing to wait 6 months for a car that is worth it but also to those who need or want one now.
Tesla sales seem to have slumped more than most
slumped? where?
And that is just one source. . .