Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loosing maps / satellite imagery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reported this to Tesla start of March. Local service centre picked up the issue and drove the same route that I had taken pictures of, showing the missing map tiles.

I had a mobile service scheduled for tomorrow to resolve. Got a nice call from an engineer at Tesla explaining they were aware of the issue and were currently trying to fix, no need for mobile technician to visit in person.

Map issue caused by driving through areas of weak/no cell tower coverage which causes an irrecoverable server error (without reset of MCU) when downloading the map tiles.

What's the big map update we get every year for?
Genuine question.
It is the version of the maps that the car downloads. It makes sense (to me) that it would be bad to mix tiles from different maps. For example, the car could follow a road that abruptly ends at the edge of a map tile. IOW, consistency is more important than timeliness.

Also, kudos to Tesla for displaying the map version.

My theory is that the map data is already in the car and the overlays e.g. satellite view, traffic data which are overlayed on the top of the map are downloaded (may also be additional up to date map data as MrB suggests above).

I think the problem arises because the car doesn't draw the full map+overlays until it has all the data. So if there is a problem with one of the downloads and no timeout occurs the car just sits waiting for the overlay data and presents a blank screen. It would also explain why it stays blank for the whole journey after reaching a particular point on the motorway, rather than reappear when on a new tile. Perhaps the software fix is to force a timeout.

Incidentally I paid for my Tesla mostly by helping EE integrate into BT's network. They very much had a small shop mentality when I worked with them. They couldn't quite comprehend the scale BT worked on so I'm not surprised they have been fingered in this.
This isn’t true. I often see a map alongside a notification saying “navigating without traffic data”. And I can have no map but get traffic data. Also when you zoom the map the traffic data are shown and then the tiles appear as they’re downloaded.

It’s also the case that the car draws street names without the map tiles as I observed yesterday.

So I think the map data the car holds is the navigation data. That is, a simple model of roads with speeds, distances and names. What is downloaded is the rendering of the map for you and I which is not done on the vehicle.

I’ve lost maps around Manchester intermittently for the last few weeks. Perhaps it did coincide with an update, I’m on 12.1.1.

It’s annoying it doesn’t default to the onboard maps that those without connectivity enjoy without a monthly subscription. It still routes ok with instructions for the junctions etc but takes you across a blank screen. Frustrating. I hope the next update does fix it.

I'm seeing the new software version (2023.12.5) is better at recovering from the issue - once you get back to signal, new tiles appear, meaning you don't drive for ages with nothing at all. However the tiles that are missing, remain missing...
🤷‍♂️

Has anyone reported it to the service centre and got an answer?
I did back in March, was informed by the Virtual Service team that the Tesla Engineering Team believe the issue to be comms between Google and the server provider. The Engineering team was working on a software package that will overcome the issue and my car had been logged as having the issue so would be one of the first to receive the update.

My car never seems to be very high up on the list when it comes to new software updates (not complaining as prefer not to be an early adopter), so I can only assume the firmware update fixing the issue has not yet been deployed yet or Virtual service team were talking bull!!. Funnily enough I have not had the issue for a while now, I often get blank tiles around the edge of the screen but by the time I get close to driving through the tile the images have loaded.

I've only done 1500 miles in mine (and no real long journeys until the weekend just gone) but saw this missing maps for the first time yesterday. I was on the M4 between Reading and the A404, and everything but the guidance line disappeared. I pinched to zoom out and could see the route ahead, as well as a lot more of the UK when I zoomed out even further. At some point when I zoomed back in, the tile I was on reappeared and I left it at that zoom level so at least I had something but when the map automatically centred and zoomed back in again the map remained, but resolution was really low. It stayed like this for around 10 minutes. and was then fine for the entire remainder of the journey.

The difference with others experiences maybe, is that I was connected to my phone wifi hotspot, my daughter in the back was streaming a film on an ipad and we had Spotify playing in the front (just like the rest of the near 600 mile round trip over the course of the weekend) and everything other than the maps continued to work fine. I have no idea if the car even when connected to wifi still uses the LTE connection, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Same issue for me. It's been happening for a couple of weeks. 2023 M3 RWD premium connectivity on software version 2023.12.9. Heading south from Bristol to Exeter on the M5, around the Taunton Deane area. Doesn't come back until you stop and perform a reset as others have said. Happened to me going in both directions and on two different days in pretty much the exact same place. Hope they fix it soon. It's the first Tesla i've owned. Absolutely love the car but this little glitch is annoying.

I've noticed on a few recent (last 4 weeks) journeys that I am frequently loosing maps / satellite imagery (yes, I pay for premium connectivity)

For example, driving from West Sussex - Somerset this weekend, travelling west, I lost maps and images from the display shortly after Swindon (travelling on the M4) I didn't get these back for the rest of the journey (ending near Weston-Super-Mare).

When I returned to West Sussex, maps/satellite imagery present and correct as I started the journey, but fell away again around Bristol, not to return until I was stationary in traffic on the M25.

I have rebooted the car several times, but the problem prevails.....any ideas what may be causing this / how to resolve this problem please?
I've had this problem and Spotify album art not showing. So I had Tesla do a remote diagnosis. They called me and said, its being worked on......eta of fix in .40 update (end of year). Honestly I just laughed and said how about a factory reset, and he said yeah that will probably work too.
Tesla Service is a joke, and I've only had to deal with them twice. Its a main reason I'm looking elsewhere once my PCP term comes to an end.
I cancelled Premium Connectivity instantly after that call.