Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lots of refinement between 2020 and 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3C089CC0-B9AD-4E4A-90D8-EAC7CBF9DE88.jpeg

I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP. Having come from a 2020 MYLR, I wanted to share my thoughts on the many refinements that I’m experiencing with the new car. Before my new delivery, I also had a 2022 MYP test drive vehicle (VIN: 2942xx) for a couple days where I noticed these refinements also.

I know there are reports of bad experiences with new deliveries so understand there can be outliers, but I’m hoping my experience is indicative of improvements in Tesla builds, as a whole.

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
VIN: 0523xx
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
VIN: 3273xx
Michelin AS4’s

Refinements that I‘m noticing:
  • Road noise is a lot quieter
    • I realize this could have something to do with my LR having older tires but the MYP is just a lot quieter when driving. Was driving last night at 60mph and thought I was going 40.
    • Maybe (hopefully) there is additional sound deadening in the newer builds.
  • Trunk opening is almost silent
    • My 2020 would have a loud “ka-chunk” sound, from the initial unlatching. It was loud enough to be concerned when I first got the LR but saw other reports of this and just got used to it. On my MYP, it really is almost silent when opening.
    • When the trunk is being latched closed, it’s super quiet also.
  • Opening windows is almost silent
    • Maybe I needed to clean my LR’s rubber seals or something but there would be a noise when initially opening the windows. I had no concerns with this noise previously, but I immediately noticed the quietness on the 2022’s.
  • Parking brake noise is a lot quieter
    • Both when engaging and releasing (going into Drive)
  • Door unlatching is quieter
I had no regrets or lasting concerns with my 2020 but, as you’re reading, my experience with the 2022’s is just that it’s a quieter, more refined, car overall. Hope this is the case for others. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow nice to see you got the Michelin all season tires. Are you located anywhere near Boston?
Portland, Oregon

It’s good to hear from one that had positive experience. Could you mind sharing how you sold your car? Thanks!
I got offers from various online sites then called local dealerships to see if they’d beat the price and found one that would.

Glad to hear they are getting built better. This is the primary reason I tend to avoid first year production vehicles. The last two vehicles I purchased new.. I specifically waited until the 2nd year of production to let the bugs get ironed out. That includes my 2021 Model Y.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I noticed one negative change between my 2020 MY and my 2022 MY. The doors are hard to shut on the new models. The driver and passenger windows do not automatically lower a little to allow easy closing. Don’t know why Tesla did this. It’s a puzzlement.
Door seals are still new, not compressed. This will change with use.

As for the windows not lowering? Please check that again. Is the upper window seal/groove, in the roof, different than your previous Tesla?

I wasn't aware that Tesla made a design change.

Last edited:
I noticed one negative change between my 2020 MY and my 2022 MY. The doors are hard to shut on the new models. The driver and passenger windows do not automatically lower a little to allow easy closing. Don’t know why Tesla did this. It’s a puzzlement.
I have a 2022 MYP and the windows do automatically lower when opening the door and ride again after closing the door.

Reactions: preilly44 and mrwug
Less noise: probably due to better insulation, and aren't the new windows now double panned?

Also can you confirm if the bio defense mode of the Y is exactly the same as that of the X or is it a scaled down version?

Expecting my MY delivery this month - quite excited at the prospect!

View attachment 751887
I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP. Having come from a 2020 MYLR, I wanted to share my thoughts on the many refinements that I’m experiencing with the new car. Before my new delivery, I also had a 2022 MYP test drive vehicle (VIN: 2942xx) for a couple days where I noticed these refinements also.

I know there are reports of bad experiences with new deliveries so understand there can be outliers, but I’m hoping my experience is indicative of improvements in Tesla builds, as a whole.

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
Michelin AS4’s

• I realize this could have something to do with my LR having older tires but the MYP is just a lot quieter when driving. Was driving last night at 60mph and thought I was going 40.
    • My 2020 would have a loud “ka-chunk” sound, from the initial unlatching. It was loud enough to be concerned when I first got the LR but saw other reports of this and just got used to it. On my MYP, it really is almost silent when opening.
    • Maybe I needed to clean my LR’s rubber seals or something but there would be a noise when initially opening the windows. I had no concerns with this noise previously, but I immediately noticed the quietness on the 2022’s.
I had no regrets or lasting concerns with my 2020 but, as you’re reading, my experience with the 2022’s is just that it’s a quieter, more refined, car overall. Hope this is the case for others. :)

I am a June 2020 MYLR owner in Alberta, and recently had delivered a December 2022 MYLR, definitely like all the improvements that Tesla has implemented over this time frame, fit and finish is comparable to any luxury model ICE. Living in western Canada -30 C common during winter months I especially like the HEATED steering wheel, front mudflaps, rear PPF on rear fender, and Goodyear M&S tyres, big improvement over previous Goodyear tyres. Then there's the laminated front windows, auto dimming rear view mirrors, new rear tail lamps (amber turn), new centre console, boombox, one piece rear casting, HEPA filter, USB drive in glovebox, and not to mention a TON of software improvements and all of this in just 18 months, this is my second Tesla, what will the MYLR be like 5 years from now? I'm already sold.

Reactions: cusetownusa
How would you compare the long range 2020 ride versus the performance 2022 ride?
Hard to explain but the 2022 MYP feels more compliant, but could be my imagination. What I mean is that the suspension feels like it’s smoother than my previous 2020 MYLR even though I can tell the lower profile tires on the 21” Uberturbine’s cause extra harshness when going over bumps. It feels like there would be a noticeable improvement with equal wheels/tires between the 2020 and 2022.

Less noise: probably due to better insulation, and aren't the new windows now double panned?

Also can you confirm if the bio defense mode of the Y is exactly the same as that of the X or is it a scaled down version?

Expecting my MY delivery this month - quite excited at the prospect!
re: Bio Defense - I believe its the same design - very large filter in front frunk space, activated on climate screen.

View attachment 751887

Previous car:
2020 Long Range
20” Inductions
Sold at 11k miles

New car:
2022 Performance
Michelin AS4’s

So do I read this correctly that the car comes with Michelin All Season Pilot Sport 4 tires? That's pretty nice!