Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR with Boost vs. P - “Feel” Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I owned a LR AWD for about a year and traded up to a P+. Couldn't be happier with the decision. And while I owned the LR I bought the boost and tried it for a weekend before returning it. It was faster, but the P is on another level.

You've driven a P, now you're exposed/ruined :) If you like speed, I'd recommend ponying up and getting one. Regret on a $50k purchase is not worth it.

^^^ This is 100% subjective. I have random strangers stop and complement my P3D. That never happened with my AWD. Fine to not like them, but calling them stupid is like my 10 year old saying girls are icky.

I agree that the looks are subjective. I think it's the fact that the the 20's are fragile, heavier, and do not enhance the performance of the car (probably only enhance the looks). The only real enhancement wheel related is the tire--not the rim.

I have a "full" 3P and it should be noted that the car has better shocks, its lower, it has better brakes and a carbon spoiler.
Then it also has track mode v2.

So I think it gives a lot, you also get the 20" wheels with 4S tires.
Now the wheels are very heavy, so one can of course trade wheels or use them.

I have been waiting for refferal wheels so I have been using the OEM 20s.
But now I sold the OEM 20S to a friend, plenty of thread left but I am going to 19" to increase accelleration and braking performance, also it adds comfort and less noise. With the KW V3 now my car is very very good! I am still waiting for monoblock forged wheels

Adding larger wheels to a performance car that slows acceleration, increases stop distance, deteriorates ride,... is stupid.

What? It decreases stop distance by a SIGNIFICANT margin over a stock 18 inch Model 3. It has PS4s which crush the crap that is on the base model? It also has way better pedal feel, fade resistance, and simply handles far better than the stock 18s. In so-cal, roads are nice...don't really need the ugly 18s.

I don't care about having the fastest Tesla but what I'd like to avoid is a situation where I'm beat by an ICE car. Just looks bad for everyone XD. The P seems to beat the standard deviation of most higher end ICE sports cars while the LR seems to be in the middle of it even with +.

Let me put it this way - both the P and the AWD+ will smoke the large majority of ICE sports cars on the road. But, there will be and always is faster cars than either of them. Both are the best bang for your buck performance you can buy today for under 55k. Both have the advantage of instant torque that will eat anyone's lunch who isn't paying attention and/or trying to get a good launch on the street, which we all know is not always an easy feat even with today's muscle cars. The power difference between them is all down low. From a 60 roll, you're not going to notice a difference. I've been driving my LR AWD and then added Boost and after 1.5 years of ownership, I've yet to lose against anyone at a stop light. It's your call. Just look at your budget and decide what you can afford.

I've been driving my LR AWD and then added Boost and after 1.5 years of ownership, I've yet to lose against anyone at a stop light. It's your call. Just look at your budget and decide what you can afford.

your experience is reassuring. Debating the P or AWD+ myself. Leaning towards the latter now. Can always put that price difference towards a cybertruck in the future.

I am glad I went with the P, havent regretted it one time.
Before the 3P, I had an X, which was about the same accelleration that the AWD LR 3 has, so it was of course quick but it wasent anywhere near the 3P quick. The 3P pulls you back to your seat and holds you there, so its more like a rollercoaster quick, where as the X was more like a quick diesel car, also pulls strong but it feels very different.

Now I know the boost for the LR AWD gives some of that speed, but not all. And also you dont get the brakes..
So I would either get the full P and also get the better brakes (which is worth a lot in my book, you never have too much stopping power) - or I would get a "stealth performance" that has the accelleration of the performance, you do then miss out on the brakes though!

If you have a budget and you are considering AWD with FSD or P without FSD, I would go P :)
The 3P is so engaging to drive that I very often dont use autopilot, its just a bit sharper in every way than the other Teslas, handles better, looks better with slightly lowering etc. So its kindof a good price for that step up in every enjoyabe metric.

If you then feel you want more range or even better performance, you just sell the OEM 20" wheels and buy some light 19" wheels and 4S tires. Then you regain comfort, even gaining some range and accelleration/braking performance.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Not sure who alluded to it there being some sort of difference, but whether it's the P+ or P- the go-fast stuff and electronics (track mode, etc), are completely identical. The differences are all in how the car is finished off... straight-line acceleration, longer range, nicer ride, regular looks, go with the P-. If you do a lot of twisties and may benefit from lowered suspension and tiny sidewalls,, don't mind the harsher ride and a little less 0-60, and you like glam, the P+ is the better choice.

It's super cool that Tesla has got both performance options on the menu! If the car has a "B" as the eighth character in your VIN#, it's the go-fast and fun version.

I have a "full" 3P and it should be noted that the car has better shocks, its lower, it has better brakes and a carbon spoiler.
Then it also has track mode v2.

So I think it gives a lot, you also get the 20" wheels with 4S tires.
Now the wheels are very heavy, so one can of course trade wheels or use them.

I have been waiting for refferal wheels so I have been using the OEM 20s.
But now I sold the OEM 20S to a friend, plenty of thread left but I am going to 19" to increase accelleration and braking performance, also it adds comfort and less noise. With the KW V3 now my car is very very good! I am still waiting for monoblock forged wheels

Note that until recently (if they are still making stealths), all stealth performance models got track mode v2 as well, mine has it.

Note that until recently (if they are still making stealths), all stealth performance models got track mode v2 as well, mine has it.

Yes, due to very high demand they are making them again, and the P- stealth is the only variant over the last year to get a substantial price increase... in existing inventory in San Diego right now.

bU7X9Ye.jpg

• Helpful
Yes, due to very high demand they are making them again, and the P- stealth is the only variant over the last year to get a substantial price increase... in existing inventory in San Diego right now.

bU7X9Ye.jpg

Not worth it. Same price vs. the PUP and you get worse equipment. Just get the PUP and purchase the much much nicer aftermarket wheels and sell the 20s (plenty of options now). The forged 19s look pretty good and maybe the 19 inch gemini are also much better looking.

bU7X9Ye.jpg

While I appreciate the better ride of the 18" wheels, the price was the biggest reason to get a stealth. At only $2K more than the LR AWD, it was an easy upgrade for potential buyers. The new pricing makes it the exact opposite IMO, and they will probably sit for a while.

Not worth it. Same price vs. the PUP and you get worse equipment. Just get the PUP and purchase the much much nicer aftermarket wheels and sell the 20s (plenty of options now). The forged 19s look pretty good and maybe the 19 inch gemini are also much better looking.

Different equipment, not worse. A lot of people prefer 18's, regular ride height, longer range,, more comfort, marginally better 0-60, and less flash. I've been down a similar P+ type road many times (my AMG, my Shelby, etc), and I was attracted to the P- because I wanted all the fun but none of the flash and hassle of the lowered ride, etc. I've got a set of 18's and a set of 20s for my AMG, and I greatly prefer the 18's. What's worse for you is somebody else's better. Choice FTW.

KyleM3. I have a 2019 LR-AWD and my Buddy here in Stuart FL. has a 2019 P-3 . We are both 55+ years of Age and have delt with Performance cars all our lives . We both have met up on many occasions at the the local drag Track down in West Palm beach. If I got the jump on him at the Tree he would finally get by me mid track and 2 cars at the end. So I did the $2000 upgrade and didn't tell him ! Now he only gets by me by 3.4 to 1 car at the track . Clearly he was looking for changed. LOL. We also both our cars insurance policy was getting to be renewed for the year. His was $500.00 dollars more per year than mine?? Mind you ,we both live in a same Village. and have very clean drivers license but difference agents & ins providers. I told hime to get some on line quotes 1st using his Vin # then have his wife call back and use mine Vin #. BANG !! he gets hosed again. P-3 rides stiffer ,Tires wear out faster & cost more and now insurance is much more than Mine. I also by Accident , a small change or a incorrect ( Mistake ) in the Vin# ( if not caught by the Insurance company or the DOT ) will save you Another $200 LOL. I'll give a partial example . E1EB2KF < Incorrect. E1EE2KF < Correct. So Save some money Get nicer 18" wheels or an unplugged performance front Fascia. Clear bra Cheers _PTE_

Different equipment, not worse. A lot of people prefer 18's, regular ride height, longer range,, more comfort, marginally better 0-60, and less flash. I've been down a similar P+ type road many times (my AMG, my Shelby, etc), and I was attracted to the P- because I wanted all the fun but none of the flash and hassle of the lowered ride, etc. I've got a set of 18's and a set of 20s for my AMG, and I greatly prefer the 18's. What's worse for you is somebody else's better. Choice FTW.

You can sell the 20s and downgrade for the 18s or something similar with better aftermarket and you still get the better brakes probably breaking even. Its a significantly worse deal monetarily with the Stealth at the same price is my point.

• Informative