Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Connection Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had mine drop a few times; each time the fix was to reboot using the two school wheels and brake (holding all three down at the same time). I opened a ticket with Tesla to make them aware, but they haven't responded with a fix yet.

I notice the latest update hasn't had the issue as much.

I’ve had ongoing issues with LTE connectivity in my new model 3. Loading errors, audio cut outs for long periods and long delay for audio to start after leaving the underground parking. Great car to drive but if you like your audio then be prepared to be disappointed. Hopefully there is a fix coming.

I’ve had ongoing issues with LTE connectivity in my new model 3. Loading errors, audio cut outs for long periods and long delay for audio to start after leaving the underground parking. Great car to drive but if you like your audio then be prepared to be disappointed. Hopefully there is a fix coming.

As far as time to reconnect, then if it’s like the Parrot module in S/X then time between reconnection polls increases based on duration for lack of signal - iirc original reasoning was due to original module design for phones to conserve battery in significant areas of no signal.

I’m getting lots of lte module issues on S currently, though I’m suspecting the hw is faulty at the moment.

I have had to reboot everyday since I lose my LTE at least once a day and it does not come back. They really need a data toggle off/on like a cell phone so you don't have to do a full reboot. Today my FM radio didn't work so I'm sure it will come back once I reboot. If their main source is cell data they need to get some sort of backup so we don't need to reboot everyday.

I have had to reboot everyday since I lose my LTE at least once a day and it does not come back. They really need a data toggle off/on like a cell phone so you don't have to do a full reboot. Today my FM radio didn't work so I'm sure it will come back once I reboot. If their main source is cell data they need to get some sort of backup so we don't need to reboot everyday.
AT&T coverage is marginal in my area so I definitely have connectivity issues at times. But I've never had to reboot to solve it. I think this deserves a call to support or an appointment with the SC.

Somewhat related, our M3 consistently takes up to 3-5 minutes in the morning to "wake up" and find service. It's generally rock solid once on the road. I should add that this is in an area with reliable AT&T service (my phone has fine service). I am wondering if this is expected behavior or if I should have a SC look into it?

Thanks!

I have the same issue where LTE will just lose connection for several hours at a time. Shutdown and reboot after two minutes doesn't fix the issue. The LTE connection will just come back randomly after several hours or the next day. The service center is looking into it but so far the engineers haven't figured it out yet. They thought the issue should have been resolved with an earlier firmware update already but mine occurs even with the latest firmware so it's puzzling for them.
I've kept records and timestamps of when it occurred so hopefully they can track down the root cause with the logs.
It occurs more often when I'm in an area with bad LTE coverage previously, but doesn't reconnect even though I'm back in good coverage area for several hours/days already. I would guess it's an issue where the LTE modem will stop trying to connect after x failed attemps.

I have the same issue where LTE will just lose connection for several hours at a time. Shutdown and reboot after two minutes doesn't fix the issue. The LTE connection will just come back randomly after several hours or the next day. The service center is looking into it but so far the engineers haven't figured it out yet. They thought the issue should have been resolved with an earlier firmware update already but mine occurs even with the latest firmware so it's puzzling for them.
I've kept records and timestamps of when it occurred so hopefully they can track down the root cause with the logs.
It occurs more often when I'm in an area with bad LTE coverage previously, but doesn't reconnect even though I'm back in good coverage area for several hours/days already. I would guess it's an issue where the LTE modem will stop trying to connect after x failed attemps.
It could be related to the retry logic - I have seen software that will progressively lengthen the wait period between connection attempts - but sometimes there is a bug in that logic that allows the delay to grow without bound - if that happens - then the delay between connection attempts can grow to a really large value. If that is the case - it should be simple enough of a problem to fix.

• Informative
Reactions: David3
It could be related to the retry logic - I have seen software that will progressively lengthen the wait period between connection attempts - but sometimes there is a bug in that logic that allows the delay to grow without bound - if that happens - then the delay between connection attempts can grow to a really large value. If that is the case - it should be simple enough of a problem to fix.
Seems like a tough issue to fix, service center have the car for almost 2 weeks and still investigating it.

I just heard back from the Service Center. In my case the modem is stuck in a constant reset probably triggered by being in an area with no signal for a long time. They performed a modem reset and fixed the issue. This kind of reset has to be done by the service center, and possibly remotely if you get your LTE connection back sometimes or over WiFi.

I just heard back from the Service Center. In my case the modem is stuck in a constant reset probably triggered by being in an area with no signal for a long time. They performed a modem reset and fixed the issue. This kind of reset has to be done by the service center, and possibly remotely if you get your LTE connection back sometimes or over WiFi.
I parked underground for the night and this morning the LTE is no longer working even after both kind of resets out in the open. I guess I need another modem reset or it's a hardware issue.

I had this happen to me several times this weekend. It just drops signal and never comes back.

The second time I tethered the car to my phone so I could still use the nav.

Same here. Noticed it after pulling out of garage and losing home WiFi connection. Never came on until about 15-20 miles later it connected to 3G network. Haven’t been on one of those networks in I don’t know how long...