TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

LTE Hotspot Tethering Performance?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by fiksegts, Aug 17, 2013.

1. fiksegts

fiksegts Member

Anyone with version 5.0 test out tethering the car to an LTE hotspot, or even to a high speed wifi connection? Does the web browser performance improve dramatically? Over 3G I can't tell if the slowness is due to the Tesla's web browser performance or the painfully slow 3G connection...

2. shawnwalters

shawnwalters Member

Interested in this too!

3. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

Browsing performance is substantially improved when connected to wifi from the garage; screen refreshes are a lot faster. Also works great with my T-Mobile 4G hotspot. I think this will be my solution once we have to start paying for 3G.

4. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I tethered to my iPhone 5 Verizon LTE ... testmy.net reports 6.6 Mbps down 1.3 up (phone native gets 20 down 2.7 up). The in-car 3G was about 200 Kbps down and I forget what up.
    Browsing's a little faster but it feels CPU-constrained. Map tiles are a little faster but not significantly. (although map performance in 5.0 overall is much better)

5. fiksegts

fiksegts Member

thanks, I can't wait to be rolling in my 5.0!

6. shawnwalters

shawnwalters Member

Thanks for the info. How bout the connection to wifi when you first get into the car? Does it take a while, or is it pretty quick?

7. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Shouldn't it stay connected to WiFi? Or have we determined that app access can still be achieved?

8. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

I don't notice any major additional delay over 3G. The slacker stream starts right up. The transitions between 3G and Wifi when I pull in/out of the garage are also seamless...the Slacker stream is not interrupted.

9. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I have observed that in sleep mode, WiFi disconnects but 3G remains connected. I haven't tested that extensively to confirm that, but it's my hypothesis at the moment. My video shows the car waking up from sleep using 3G only.

In other news... this is my 2000th post. Yay.

10. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

If Tesla's connectivity plan is too expensive, I'm planning to just use a 4G hotspot and leave it in the car. But the app would have to work. Otherwise, this would be no different than just tethering to my phone when I'm in the car.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My guess is that 3G doesn't go down because that's Tesla's primary way of monitoring the car at present.

And very informative they have been too.

12. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Time for another dumb guy question.
    My wife has (finally) agreed to get a cellphone. I'm an Apple guy so I'm gonna get her an iPhone and might as well upgrade my old 3GS.
    I'm with AT&T. I'd like to switch to Verizon for better coverage.
    Is there any reason(s) NOT to switch as far as my Model S and/or Tesla is concerned?

13. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Can't think of any reason it should matter at the moment. If the MS had user-swappable SIMs, then it could matter if you could add the MS as a device to a shared data plan. But since it doesn't, its stuck with AT&T. So, IMO, having Verizon on your phone might actually be better so that you have 2 networks if you ever get into a remote area where one might not serve as well as the other.

There may be other reasons, but I can't think of any.

14. shawnwalters

shawnwalters Member

I plan on using a 4g phone as a hotspot all the time. If nothing else for the added speed of the network, maps etc. The only issue I am not sure of it connecting to it and the speed at which it will do it. Hopefully that will be a non issue. And also where the charge ports are in the car. Is there one in the glove box? Or somewhere you wouldn't have to have the phone visible?

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

USB ports and 12v are all at the rear of the center console space, below the arm rest. So always visible.

16. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

A new iPhone is coming out in a month so be on the lookout.

17. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I heard that when the tethering comes out so will the owner price for car connectivity.

18. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Thanks. I may as well wait since I seem to keep the darn things forever! Technologically speaking. :smile:

19. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

If you are grandfathered into an unlimited data plan on AT&T and your search to Verizon you would lose that of course but definitely wait. Supposed to be announced Sept. 10th.

20. garcilamd

garcilamd Member

I have Verizon and you can't use voice and data concurrently. AT&T can do if you're going to use the phone for Internet this is something to consider.