Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Upgrade, Did YOU Do It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My result is not consistent.
Here are my last two:
01de24ea253f118838e475c878809a4b.jpg

2a4ed78a138ef6a47b38402d8e988539.jpg

There are other threads that have gone through speed tests and I recall there being suggestion of caching and/or the hops through Mothership doing wacky things to results.

Personally, I liken speed tests to monitoring Rated Range @ xx% charge to gauge pack loss -- interesting maybe, but in daily use what does it mean to you ?

For the 3G, as a technology fanatic I'm disappointed I missed the parts bin swap by a day or less, but I notice UI lag far more than internet lag. But I'm fortunate to be in a high-coverage area most of the time, if I had connectivity issues I'd probably be singing a different tune.

And then again I'm just over 6 months into having an internet car :love:

Not only did I have the LTE retrofit done, but I was recently reminded of why, when I had occasion to drive a loaner without it. Good lord 3G/no G was awful by comparison. No connectivity much of the time which meant no voice commands, no internet radio other than 1 buffered song repeating ad nauseam, no ability to use Navigation, no hope of a webpage loading the first time if at all, and so forth.

Couple that with the lack of AP features and the switched stalk positions on the steering wheel, and it certainly did make one appreciate the advances in AP/LTE cars a whole lot more.

I don't suppose anyone happens to drive a Model X now and noticed whether there's a better chipset now for the browser and such... I think the word was "no" last this was discussed. Presumably the Model 3 will have something more recent than 7-year old technology, although maybe not. The more the Model 3 shares in common with today's Model S, at least in the base Model 3 config, the better I believe it will be for the company's bottom line.

I'm glad everyone is chipping in with their personal opinions which are backed up by personal experience.

My personal experience, after getting the upgrade last summer I think, was a noticeable and significant speed-up with anything to do with getting data in and out of the car. (obviously, many have pointed out this same thing)

1) submitting audio recordings you made via the "speak" button, whether it be to start Slacker, navigate or whatever
2) map graphics, of course
3) autocomplete on the address you're seeking when entering a new destination
4) setting up navigation route
5) finding TuneIn Stations

..and more.

#3 and #4 are of particular interest to me... I drive my car for Uber from time to time, and seconds count. I do not want the riders to sense that there is a delay, and the 3G would definitely not help. Showing them the map plotting and telling them the car has its own LTE is way better than saying "it only has 3G, hold on while it gets the data."

It's totally worth the $500. If I was a savvy buyer looking for a used Model S, I'd be skipping over the 3G-equipped ones.

I'm glad everyone is chipping in with their personal opinions which are backed up by personal experience.

My personal experience, after getting the upgrade last summer I think, was a noticeable and significant speed-up with anything to do with getting data in and out of the car. (obviously, many have pointed out this same thing)

1) submitting audio recordings you made via the "speak" button, whether it be to start Slacker, navigate or whatever
2) map graphics, of course
3) autocomplete on the address you're seeking when entering a new destination
4) setting up navigation route
5) finding TuneIn Stations

..and more.

#3 and #4 are of particular interest to me... I drive my car for Uber from time to time, and seconds count. I do not want the riders to sense that there is a delay, and the 3G would definitely not help. Showing them the map plotting and telling them the car has its own LTE is way better than saying "it only has 3G, hold on while it gets the data."

It's totally worth the $500. If I was a savvy buyer looking for a used Model S, I'd be skipping over the 3G-equipped ones.

I agree... I got it done last month. Everything is a lot snappier.

My result is not consistent.
Here are my last two:
And here is connected to my iPhone on T-Mobile LTE:

It seems as if the more recent ones are no better than 3G. One thing that kept me from upgrading was wondering how much of the problem was related to connection speed and how much was related to other factors. I had the same issue with using my phone as a hotspot. The phone itself had a fast LTE connection, but a benchmark with the car's browser showed poor results that were nowhere close. It couldn't have been anything in the phone that throttled the speed. And to prove it, I tested the same thing in my garage with a strong WiFi signal. Using the phone as a hotspot or using my home WiFi both use WiFi and both give poor speeds no better than 3G. Yet benchmarks on the phone, whether using LTE or WiFi to my home, give fast results on the phone. So it's not a limitation of my home WiFi's signal in the garage.

The bottom line seems to be that WiFi is poor and limited in speed even with a perfect signal, and 4G is potentially much better for an unknown reason. If Tesla offered a WiFi upgrade instead of a 4G upgrade, that might be a better choice for anybody who can create a hotspot, especially down the road when Tesla could conceivably charge for a connection. Swapping the sim won't be very practical.

I apologize if this has been said before, but I think the difference between using an (external) LTE modem versus the onboard 3G/LTE modem is because there is a Bluetooth limitation of throughput. You get the same results with bluetooth tethering to your laptop vs what the speedtest directly on the phone shows you

• Love
Reactions: mda
I dropped my 85D off for annual service this morning and asked for the LTE upgrade. I'm less concerned about speed. I'm hoping the reported improvements in fringe areas will work for me, too. (Sierra Nevada foothills)

i find the browser essentially useless due to its exteremly slow response time. i too tried an LTE hotspot from veriszon as well as WIfi. no difference in speed that is noticeable. i find that maps come in just fine with 3g. so i will save the money for the upgrade. the idea that LTE offers greater coverage if wrong. all places that have LTE have 3g but many only have 3g. as all the trials above show is ghat the ping speeds are unacceptably slow. thats where the sluggishness comes from. even if you pull several Mb in speed, anything slower than 50msec ping make it sluggish.