Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lynnfield, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plugshare does have the supercharger in the correct location. Always useful to check their crowdsourced info when visiting any charger for the first time.

Yeah, usually I wing it as most of the time it's obvious, but the layout of this mall made things a bit more challenging. So rather than drive around the whole perimeter I just parked and put the smart phone to use.

I also know not to show up with a severely depleted battery to a brand new charger also. :)

Oh, ok. So I assume you don't have access to charging where you live.
I live in a condo, however it worked out well because my parking spots are near my unit. I have the ability to charge, but on a regular 120 outlet. I haven't been able to figure out how to get 240 close to the car. I charge at home when I'm in a bind, but I use faster chargers when I can.

Reactions: chjch
Finally got to charge today!

Attachments

• E05B8712-CAD3-4AF6-831C-D2C06FA84294.jpeg
    E05B8712-CAD3-4AF6-831C-D2C06FA84294.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: JWardell
Mystery solved - the box looks like it’s a quick disconnect for power. Strangely it’s locked so maybe the fire department has the key?
It's called a Knox Box. It's a mini-safe that the local Fire Department or Police has a key for. For commercial buildings, it usually contains a set of keys to let them get into the building and past any barriers inside even if they're locked. This particular type [pdf warning], as you correctly guessed, has a remote power disconnect.

I was in the area by chance and just found out about this charger from the car’s map. Mostly 5 cars there for the 40 mins we were charging during dinner hour. Delighted to discover a Capital One cafe right next to a Panera. The only thing I don’t like about the mall locations is that when you’re on a trip they become way less useful if the mall is closed. But at 6pm, great spot.

A74EBFFC-1793-4D08-97D1-63598F8FF384.jpeg

Lynnfield SC got some type of upgrade/modification last week. The square white boxes on top of each cabinet are new. Crew from NY was here off and on for a week working on it. Anyone familiar with this? Sorry for the potato photo.

Also, random heads up that with the opening of Burtons restaurant and the SC being some of the closest parking spaces it is now normal for 2-3 spaces to be ICEd from 3PM onward on Fri Sat Sun for their dinner crowd.

The square white boxes on top of each cabinet are new.... Anyone familiar with this?
Yes, those are small autotransformers. Many V2 supercharger sites use them as buck/boost transformers to further adjust the input voltage for the supercharger cabinets. Mounting on top of the supercharger cabinets is one of the common layouts, though you'll just as often see them behind/alongside.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer