Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers Turning to Manual from Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like most Tesla owners, I have set the wipers to Auto. But there are instances when I need to give a voice command to 'Turn wipers on'. But the problem is that wipers keep going on when there's no need or there's no moisture on the windshield until I command again to 'Turn wipers off'. The command stops wipers alright but it also takes them off from the Auto setting. This necessitates going back to Control and setting the wipers to Auto again. Is there a remedy for this?

Auto is just one of the settings. There are off, int low, int high, low, high, auto. If you take them off of auto to another setting, they obviously won't go back to auto by themselves. You need to put them back to auto if you want them auto.
While on auto, if you want them to do a single additional wipe, just press the left stalk button. That will wipe once and leave them as they are set.

I keep my wipers on auto but when auto doesn't cut it, I push the button on the end of the stalk to get one swipe. The bigger issue is that sometimes, when I'm in auto on a sunny day the wipers will start working. It doesn't happen often but I find that more annoying than when the wipers are working frequently enough in the rain. So, lately, I keep the wipers off, push the button as needed in light rain and use voice command to turn them on when it's raining harder. BUT, should it really be this way in a $50,000+ car????

Like most Tesla owners, I have set the wipers to Auto. But there are instances when I need to give a voice command to 'Turn wipers on'. But the problem is that wipers keep going on when there's no need or there's no moisture on the windshield until I command again to 'Turn wipers off'.

Yeah, what you describe is the "standard" Tesla wiper operation mode.
It swipes way too little, way too much, or way too whimsically to keep them in Auto mode.

The command stops wipers alright but it also takes them off from the Auto setting. This necessitates going back to Control and setting the wipers to Auto again. Is there a remedy for this?

Yeah - keep them in "off" mode, until it starts raining.
Adjust your "on" settings as appropriate for the conditions - Auto, or some other setting. Then turn them back "off", as necessary.

All of this would have been way easier if Model 3 had real wiper stalks. But Tesla is too cheap for that.

a

When I first got my 3 in 2018, the auto wiper was actually decent, wiping at a frequency close to how I would set it manually. Over the years, however, the feature has gradually degraded in quality, and now to the point of being close to useless-- It wipes at '3' when I am driving on a road with a speed limit of 30mph in a drizzle, and at '1' or completely off when on a highway in a downpour.

Reactions: dp0307
When I first got my 3 in 2018, the auto wiper was actually decent, wiping at a frequency close to how I would set it manually. Over the years, however, the feature has gradually degraded in quality, and now to the point of being close to useless

Yeah - that's the underappreciated downside of the over-the-air (OTA) upates.
Someone can always d#ck around with your car settings or screen UI behind your back, and there is little you can do to stop them.

My windshield is properly coated, so i don't need to use wipers because the rain drops bead up and roll away/fly off. I wish I could turn off the wipers completely.

You can!
1674839444571.png

Reactions: nate704
I had to use my wipers for the first time and ever since then I have had the "I'm turning on in the sun and you can't stop me" syndrome at random times. Thanks for the posts, I'll turn off auto and do as suggested.

You would think Tesla could get something this simple corrected.

That might explain why I could not get the wipers off Auto when I was driving on the motorway yesterday afternoon! Annoyingly, in the last week, the wipers have been turning themselves on without any rain on the windscreen. I have tried to turn them off but I couldn't.
Yeah. This is happening a lot since the latest update. Having to turn them to off a lot more but it’s annoying that they are set to auto when using tac or ap.

I keep my wipers on auto but when auto doesn't cut it, I push the button on the end of the stalk to get one swipe. The bigger issue is that sometimes, when I'm in auto on a sunny day the wipers will start working. It doesn't happen often but I find that more annoying than when the wipers are working frequently enough in the rain. So, lately, I keep the wipers off, push the button as needed in light rain and use voice command to turn them on when it's raining harder. BUT, should it really be this way in a $50,000+ car????

Thought I was the only one but the other day making a turn at night on a clear night wipers come on!! Ugh. I had them on auto mode. I eventually just set them to off. This is a annoying thing to have on 50k+ car.

What I don't like is the wipers go to Auto when on cruise control, with no way to turn them off.
Yeah. It wipes on a sunny sky Day! no way to turn it off on cruise control mode! You need cruise control when you drive long distance! it’s a problem but somehow Tesla can’t fix it, if I know Tesla release car with this bug, I will never buy it. you simply can’t have cruise control on when you drive long distance!! Why Tesla is not making this priority and fix this bug is beyond me. Let people turn the wiper to OFF on cruise control When wipers is on faulty!

Yeah. It wipes on a sunny sky Day! no way to turn it off on cruise control mode! You need cruise control when you drive long distance! it’s a problem but somehow Tesla can’t fix it, if I know Tesla release car with this bug, I will never buy it. you simply can’t have cruise control on when you drive long distance!! Why Tesla is not making this priority and fix this bug is beyond me. Let people turn the wiper to OFF on cruise control When wipers is on faulty!
What if it is not a bug? or real bug or whatever splashed right in front or the camera behaving like water droplets, which how rain sensor works?

"The sensor projects infrared light into the windshield at a 45-degree angle. If the glass is dry, most of this light is reflected back into the sensor by the front of the windshield. If water droplets are on the glass, they reflect the light in different directions -- the wetter the glass, the less light makes it back into the sensor.
The electronics and software in the sensor turn on the wipers when the amount of light reflected onto the sensor decreases to a preset level. The software sets the speed of the wipers based on how fast the moisture builds up between wipes. It can operate the wipers at any speed. The system adjusts the speed as often as necessary to match with the rate of moisture accumulation."

I think you're slightly mistaken. The wipers can be off if autopilot is engaged. It's just that if you turn them on while autopilot is on engaged you can't turn them back off. You would have to disengage autopilot, turn the wipers off, then reengage autopilot. But admittedly, that's a stupid work flow.