Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 52 years old, and feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. I honestly don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight, 'cause I'm so excited about tomorrow. I've owned many cars over the years, and I've never been so excited. I'd always thought that Super Car or Exotic Car performance was way out of my price range. The fact that I'm getting it in a relatively inexpensive four dour sedan is just... well... unbelievable to me. LOL, I'm so excited that I can hardly even type. : )

Remember, put your head back against the headrest first before you put your foot in it. :D Enjoy.

There was also a post somewhere about Tesla preventing top speed without the spoiler installed. I thought that was funny since the spoiler is just a tiny trunk lip spoiler and does not look like it offers much downforce but the conversation seemed to indicate it was no joke.

Check out Bjorn Nyland's YouTube channel. He has a video where he takes his P3D+ (no spoiler) out on the Autobahn and proves the lower top speed. He then has the spoiler installed, makes an SC appt, shows them the spoiler, and they unlock the higher top speed. The car's display now shows the spoiler on the car. He then makes another autobahn run and proves the higher top speed. He also remarks that it is amazing how such a tiny spoiler really helps with high speed handling and ride. Definitely worth watching.

At high speeds, the air flow moving down past the back of the trunk is *really* moving, allowing that tiny spoiler to produce serious down force.

So I finally got a software update last night and will stop complaining about that. There was definitely something up with a few versions since it skipped more than I've seen 13 months of Model 3 ownership.

Does anyone with a P3D- actually have track mode unlocked? I feel like I've seen at least one post from someone.

So I finally got a software update last night and will stop complaining about that. There was definitely something up with a few versions since it skipped more than I've seen 13 months of Model 3 ownership.

Does anyone with a P3D- actually have track mode unlocked? I feel like I've seen at least one post from someone.
Yes I have it and I believe everyone so far has it. If it is greyed out on the screen you have it. The car must be in park and foot on brake to turn on track mode.

As a very general rule, if you have an item on your screen that is greyed out and not select-able, that feature is installed in the car, you just don't have the rules met to make the item go from greyed out to select-able.
is that true for autopilot screen too? see many used cars have autopilot options like summon etc but greyed out. Does it mean the vehicle has it just not turned on?

is that true for autopilot screen too? see many used cars have autopilot options like summon etc but greyed out. Does it mean the vehicle has it just not turned on?
There are exceptions to the rule, but I don't believe in this case that it is an exception. I'd have to look into it further, but my initial inclination is to say that yes, summon is there, you just don't have conditions correctly met in order for it to be select-able.

Over all, if a feature is there but greyed out, it is on the car. Just need to get the conditions right in order for it to be select-able. There is a certain rule set that has to be met in order for "summon" to be select-able (blue tooth key in range, range to device within a certain distance, etc.)

All bets are off if it is a used car sitting in a used car sales lot, though. Tesla can (and will) activate/de-activate certain features on cars at-will.

I'm sure someone will come up with an exception to this general rule and post it, I just can't think of one right now.

Reactions: ezevphl
Picked up my LR AWD today, first thing I did was look for the numbers on that plate. Interestingly I was able to spot it within seconds by looking through the wheel lol. Knew exactly because of this thread.

Anyway, mine is 990 (as was expected for non-P), though I was curious as my VIN is 442XXX and there were a few other 442XXX M3P- / 980 in this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Picked up my LR AWD today, first thing I did was look for the numbers on that plate. Interestingly I was able to spot it within seconds by looking through the wheel lol. Knew exactly because of this thread.

Anyway, mine is 990 (as was expected for non-P), though I was curious as my VIN is 442XXX and there were a few other 442XXX M3P- / 980 in this thread.
I find it pretty interesting that within the same 1000-car-lot of VIN’s, they would make two models. Supposedly this is one day of production right so I would’ve thought they would make all of the same model but maybe it was a silly assumption.

Reactions: Joey_82
I find it pretty interesting that within the same 1000-car-lot of VIN’s, they would make two models. Supposedly this is one day of production right so I would’ve thought they would make all of the same model but maybe it was a silly assumption.

Only plausible explanation is Tesla knows which ones are AWD P and AWD. Motor is just semantics of installing it to a vehicle.

All of above is wrong when Tesla says.... everyone with 990 motor will get double P power.

Reactions: Joey_82 and Phlier
There are exceptions to the rule, but I don't believe in this case that it is an exception. I'd have to look into it further, but my initial inclination is to say that yes, summon is there, you just don't have conditions correctly met in order for it to be select-able.

Over all, if a feature is there but greyed out, it is on the car. Just need to get the conditions right in order for it to be select-able. There is a certain rule set that has to be met in order for "summon" to be select-able (blue tooth key in range, range to device within a certain distance, etc.)

All bets are off if it is a used car sitting in a used car sales lot, though. Tesla can (and will) activate/de-activate certain features on cars at-will.

I'm sure someone will come up with an exception to this general rule and post it, I just can't think of one right now.

and I am asking this for used cars in lots to see if it makes sense to buy them if option is greyed out. so back to square 1 with that statement :)

and I am asking this for used cars in lots to see if it makes sense to buy them if option is greyed out. so back to square 1 with that statement :)
If it is a used car sales lot that has experience with Tesla vehicles, maybe not so much : ) More knowledgeable sales people will know what options the car has on it, as well as what options that particular vehicle can be upgraded to through Tesla.

I've looked at a few used Teslas in my small town, and unfortunately, the sales people were completely clueless. : /

The absolute best way to make sure you're getting what you pay for is to have a sales contract drawn up that is accurate to a T as to what options the vehicle has on it at the time of sale. If you later discover that it doesn't have one of the options you paid for, you have a leg to stand on to make the used car dealer pay Tesla to activate the missing feature (if it is a missing feature that can actually be turned on by Tesla).

Let us know how it goes!

I became even more obsessed after I got my car, which I really didn't expect.
Will do, thank you for your interest! : )

I'm leaving in 30 minutes to make the 150 mile drive to 'Vegas for my 4:00 Vegas time delivery! LOL, once again, just thinking about it makes me so excited my hands start to shake and I can't type! Maybe I should let my wife drive to Vegas.... ; )

Reactions: Nrazar and jvmoore1