Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P- . What is it, how to order it, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you understand the nightmare for servicing AWD / P vehicles if both parts have the same part number but different tolerances? How, pray tell can a service center differentiate a P motor and a AWD motor with lower capability inverters without different part numbers?

How about the nightmare for the factory of having to store and pull to the line different motors with different specs with no part number to differentiate them?

This whole narrative is so laughable and, frankly; sounds like someone with zero manufacturing experience would say.

Need I remind you that Tesla's inventory system is based on a modern device called a computer and every drive unit has a unique serial number stored in said computer which is networked to every inventory computer in every Tesla service center in the world? It's absolutely trivial to flag the serial numbers that are certified for Performance models. :rolleyes:

Need I remind you that Tesla's inventory system is based on a modern device called a computer and every drive unit has a unique serial number stored in said computer which is networked to every inventory computer in every Tesla service center in the world? It's absolutely trivial to flag the serial numbers that are certified for Performance models. :rolleyes:

It is "trivial" in the sense that it also requires a unique flag on top of serial number logging for one part number in the MRP that Tesla uses. Plus it is inherently dangerous because humans make mistakes and can flag something incorrectly. What is far less complicated is to make two different part numbers.

When staging line production you don't want to create bottlenecks, and adding variables just complicates things.

Plus it is inherently dangerous because humans make mistakes and can flag something incorrectly.

What's more dangerous is not binning them in the first place. The possible danger of a tech putting in an AWD drive unit in a Performance car is much less than just randomly selecting which drive units go in which car, regardless of whether its AWD or P3D.

Ordering and replacing a drive unit is a fairly rare event. I don't think it's too much trouble to have the technician verify it's performance ready. This is probably already listed internally in the Tesla database (ie. xxxxxxxxxxx.A nad xxxxxxxxxx.P). There is no need to stamp the new part number on the hardware when it can be looked up so easily.

here is no need to stamp the new part number on the hardware when it can be looked up so easily.

But there's no reason not to and it avoids needing to serial # scan the unit entirely

You continue to offer no reason to NOT use a different PN, while making up excuses about how it's "not really much harder" not to.

Modern MFG uses a lot of PNs in BOMs. Including data on which are interchangeable and which aren't.

There's also serial # metadata in the systems for tracking and quality reasons (ie knowing when a specific part or batch of parts was used on the line is useful for things like recalls) but that data isn't used for assembly, because that's literally why different part numbers exist

But there's no reason not to and it avoids needing to serial # scan the unit entirely

You continue to offer no reason to NOT use a different PN, while making up excuses about how it's "not really much harder" not to.

Modern MFG uses a lot of PNs in BOMs. Including data on which are interchangeable and which aren't.

There's also serial # metadata in the systems for tracking and quality reasons (ie knowing when a specific part or batch of parts was used on the line is useful for things like recalls) but that data isn't used for assembly, because that's literally why different part numbers exist

cost and complexity during manufacturing are the reasons not to and the exact reason my company does not do binning. it is too difficult to mark and separate product after the binning process and we do not serialize. if our product were serialized, we could bin and not have to remark.

it is much more likely that the wrong parts would be mismarked after binning than someone would replace them with the wrong part if they were serialized.

Reactions: cybrwzrd
I know we're deeper in the weeds now but just wanted to thank @JasonR67 and @jvmoore1 for their help earlier. Took delivery of my own M3P- on Friday. Quite an amazing deal and an amazing vehicle. I know there are quite a few of these in the wild now but happy to share any details folks need/want on this config.

Here's hoping the registration in Michigan goes smoothly - it's apparently quite a challenge as the fees are based on the base price of the vehicle generally as reported by NADA, which tends to be inflated and most certainly doesn't have the price cuts in effect.

What's more dangerous is not binning them in the first place. The possible danger of a tech putting in an AWD drive unit in a Performance car is much less than just randomly selecting which drive units go in which car, regardless of whether its AWD or P3D.

Ordering and replacing a drive unit is a fairly rare event. I don't think it's too much trouble to have the technician verify it's performance ready. This is probably already listed internally in the Tesla database (ie. xxxxxxxxxxx.A nad xxxxxxxxxx.P). There is no need to stamp the new part number on the hardware when it can be looked up so easily.

I am not just discussing service. I specifically mentioned the assembly line in the post you are replying to.

Again, tying the "binning" of a motor to the serial number requires a third, custom linked dataset, that could easily get switched the wrong way by the operator, whereas they could just change the part number at assembly of the drive unit. The logical process flow would be assemble, test, automated label print based on result, part mark.

Otherwise when assembling the drive units onto the vehicle, you would need to verify not only the part number, but check the serial number and the performance flag. This is an illogical process flow and would be identified as a potential failure mode in any PFMEA.

Do you understand the nightmare for servicing AWD / P vehicles if both parts have the same part number but different tolerances? How, pray tell can a service center differentiate a P motor and a AWD motor with lower capability inverters without different part numbers?

How about the nightmare for the factory of having to store and pull to the line different motors with different specs with no part number to differentiate them?

This whole narrative is so laughable and, frankly; sounds like someone with zero manufacturing experience would say.
Exactly. That’s why the binning thing is a ridiculous theory. All based on one single Musk tweet before they were even shipping Ps which alluded to testing the drive units to make sure they were capable. My less ridiculous theory is that they did that check at outset of P testing (so Musk was not lying), determined that vast majority of DUs were OK, and then went with single part. During initial Stealth deliveries last year, there were many documented instances of field flashes of D to P. Just as there are now. Same parts. Flash.

I know we're deeper in the weeds now but just wanted to thank @JasonR67 and @jvmoore1 for their help earlier. Took delivery of my own M3P- on Friday. Quite an amazing deal and an amazing vehicle. I know there are quite a few of these in the wild now but happy to share any details folks need/want on this config.

Fantastic! Congrats! Somehow I was one of the first one to find this new batch of m3p-, and one of the first one's to click order.. and I still have 2 more days to wait!

Really the only question I have is will it make me smile every time I drive it like Miatas did for 20 years.

Fantastic! Congrats! Somehow I was one of the first one to find this new batch of m3p-, and one of the first one's to click order.. and I still have 2 more days to wait!

Really the only question I have is will it make me smile every time I drive it like Miatas did for 20 years.

Did you say, "Miatas"??? I miss mine already (sold it in June to make room in the garage for my LR AWD)… :(

View attachment 432749
m3.jpg
m2.jpg
m1.jpg

Last edited:

that is awesome! glad you were able to snag one!

Reactions: StealthP3D
During initial Stealth deliveries last year, there were many documented instances of field flashes of D to P. Just as there are now. Same parts. Flash.

Yes, mine was an AWD flashed to Performance while I waited at the delivery center. This doesn't conflict with my theory that some AWD's are not rated to be flashed to Performance. If true, Tesla will never offer a flash upgrade after AWD delivery because there are some that don't test well enough to become Performance models In my case, I ordered a Performance model so, obviously, the car they selected had already been screened as "Performance eligible". If they offer the flash upgrade to all AWD owners, that would disprove my theory, something I think unlikely to happen.

I ordered my stealth Friday, and I will be picking up next Tuesday. I wanted an AWD when I bought my MR, but the cost difference was too great to justify at the time. This deal is too good to pass up though IMO, so I'm making the jump now. I truly thought I would only use the Tesla for commuting and use the truck for the mountains, but I honestly want to drive the Tesla year round for all conditions now which makes the stealth option with 18s hard to pass up (snow tires in the winter). Looking forward to it!

You're going to love it... I didn't know it was possible for a car to be too fast, but on a couple occasions driving it back from Cleveland I very nearly got myself in trouble by vastly underestimating the velocity i'd find myself at after a given press of the accelerator. I'm completely unqualified for a car with this kind of power.