Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E and my Y. Side by Side pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I've learned with this car is that there are multiple ways to do things (more than other manufacturers would ever provide) via touch or voice commands but many of us (myself included) are just not aware of them. I've been watching videos and digging up lists to steepen my learning curve, else I'll be running down the road three years from now still ignorant to things. It's for this reason that Teslas might not be for everyone, because not everyone has the desire to learn even half of the features and would just rather a simple knob or switch. I get that totally, but this is a new age. The only way to keep things in a state where you can continually update and improve it, is not make it a physical feature.

It's Tesla's determination and leveraging of EV technology that got them where they are, to the point where something once unthinkable, FSD (as imperfect as it is) even exists. I don't even like much of Elon Musk's policies and way of thinking (outside of tech), but I give credit where it's due and would rather give support to THE EV pioneer, over the Johnny-come-lately manufs who resisted till they could no longer ignore it.

Last edited:
What I've learned with this car is that there are multiple ways to do things (more than other manufacturers would ever provide) via touch or voice commands but many of us (myself included) are just not aware of them. I've been watching videos and digging up lists to steepen my learning curve, else I'll be running down the road three years from now still ignorant to things. It's for this reason that Teslas might not be for everyone, because not everyone has the desire to learn even half of the features and would just rather a simple knob or switch. I get that totally, but this is a new age. The only way to keep things in a state where you can continually update and improve it, is not make it a physical feature.

It's Tesla's determination and leveraging of EV technology that got them where they are, to the point where something once unthinkable, FSD (as imperfect as it is) even exists. I don't even like much of Elon Musk's policies and way of thinking (outside of tech), but I give credit where it's due and would rather give support to THE EV pioneer, over the Johnny-come-lately manufs who resisted till they could no longer ignore it.
I agree, adding additional shortcuts via steering wheel buttons helps. But the fact is people had to wait this long for things like wiper functionality(auto wipers still suck). They sometimes are trying to re-invent the wheel for no reason - a stalk with more inputs would have been an easier and better solution from the start.

Voice commands are not something new nor is it new age. They have existed on many cars for years - just no one uses them because it takes longer and is more finnicky than a simple knob/dial and is overall not nearly as useful or easy to use. Now magically they are in a Tesla and it is a great new way to control your vehicle?

Having to tell people to be quiet while you issue a command correctly is a step backwards as far as efficiency of giving an input. It really is only useful something that would otherwise need to be typed out, such as directions or a talk to text message.

While I like the minimalistic look of the interior and would not like it to be taken up by a sea of buttons - they could have easily gotten creative with hiding buttons/dials on the edges of the screen or simply additional buttons on the steering wheel.

Their screen experience is eons ahead of everything else I have used, but that doesn't mean button inputs wouldn't be a benefit

Voice commands are not something new nor is it new age. They have existed on many cars for years - just no one uses them because it takes longer and is more finnicky than a simple knob/dial and is overall not nearly as useful or easy to use. Now magically they are in a Tesla and it is a great new way to control your vehicle?
They aren't new, but the ones on my 5 year old Nissan are so bad that they might as well not exist. Basic navigation commands are practically impossible.

Tesla nav commands and some other commands actually work pretty decently.

Still not as good as Google Assistant, of course.

Reactions: Andrew85
Necessity is the mother of invention.
The reason Tesla has this layout is cost. It's simply cheaper and faster to assemble and eliminates sku's and quality issues.

Their strength is in UI, software and engineering. So they leaned into it, instead of trying to play the legacy makers at their game- which would be a loosing proposition. They played to their strengths, which is the legacy makers largest weakness.

The value of buttons and interior design certainly will be debated but Tesla's approach has become the benchmark. All the legacy makers have doubled down on it for better or worse.

Honestly, it took a few weeks but as a space, it feels great to be in such a clean environment that doesn't give a econobox feel.
Kind of like Marie Kondo went to town on the inside of a car.

The experience in a X or S is probably a bit different with two screens- but it's also telling that those are the least reliable models.
Yes age has something to do with it but so does complexity.

Specifics on wipers- which was annoying- the recent update solved much of it with the steering wheel button selector.
Headlights- auto/high beams off - don't miss having a button
Navigation- I love that I can just send the location from my phone to the car. The updates keep the nav relevant.

Tesla has a steeper starting setup - but once you get your preferences set in, we've found it pretty seamless and superior as a daily product over anything we've had before so...

My biggest complaints have to do with fit and finish and quality of construction... but that goes hand in hand with how they build cars- which is focusing on streamlining production...
Telsa does things very differently. That's both extremely good and bold, but there are tradeoffs.

They aren't new, but the ones on my 5 year old Nissan are so bad that they might as well not exist. Basic navigation commands are practically impossible.

Tesla nav commands and some other commands actually work pretty decently.

Still not as good as Google Assistant, of course.

Mine worked okay in the cars I had although it was not polished, but even if it was it still doesn't beat a manual input for simple things. The things voice are good at like navigation or controlling audio apps, most people are using android auto/carplay for anyways and it works better than Tesla.

There is a reason for the recent shortcut and menu updates Tesla has implemented and how well received they have been, because physical inputs are still the quickest, easiest, and safest way to do it.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
There is a reason for the recent shortcut and menu updates Tesla has implemented and how well received they have been, because physical inputs are still the quickest, easiest, and safest way to do it.
If I would be able to define my shortcuts at the bottom of the screen (not only 4, but let me chose 5 out of all the settings possible), it would be just great. And then be able to set high/low or left/right through the steering wheel buttons, I would not need ANY other physical button. IMO Tesla has all the buttons it needs. Now, lets be able to custom the shortcut actions !

Reactions: HitchHiker71

Having to tell people to be quiet while you issue a command correctly is a step backwards as far as efficiency of giving an input. It really is only useful something that would otherwise need to be typed out, such as directions or a talk to text message.
@gt2690b See... this person gets the meme.

The difference between your towing/gas mileage example is everyone here understands that so hardly anyone says "Why is my mpg bad when I tow?". But there are often answers here when someone comments on the UI/UX in the vein of "Just use the voice command"... without considering context like conversational politeness, background noise (doesn't work as well with the windows open) or even the speaker's accent or other speech affectations (like a lisp or stutter).

Sorry you don't get the joke, I guess if I have to explain it, it's not that funny.

1684178808595.png

Necessity is the mother of invention.
The reason Tesla has this layout is cost. It's simply cheaper and faster to assemble and eliminates sku's and quality issues.
I think we all get this... with necessity actually being cost reduction.

But sometimes, UI/UX design doesn't reflect real world usage. The best example is the v11 update (I think that was the one), where they put all the oft used stuff 2 or 3 clicks down and made it much harder to access. Since someone prefers analogies, that's like taking most of the physical controls and putting them inside the glovebox.

I really do applaud Tesla's steering wheel controls, so much simpler than some of those steering wheels with 6 buttons on each side and some even on the back. Even putting the drive modes on the stalk was an improvement to me (although I was used to that from my pickup driving days).

I worry about Tesla's removal of control stalks... maybe the "gas" pedal is next... "Tesla... go faster... uh... not so fast... uh... slower". :)

Reactions: gtae07
@gt2690b See... this person gets the meme.

The difference between your towing/gas mileage example is everyone here understands that so hardly anyone says "Why is my mpg bad when I tow?". But there are often answers here when someone comments on the UI/UX in the vein of "Just use the voice command"... without considering context like conversational politeness, background noise (doesn't work as well with the windows open) or even the speaker's accent or other speech affectations (like a lisp or stutter).

Sorry you don't get the joke, I guess if I have to explain it, it's not that funny.

View attachment 937970
it could have been funnier if he used a more applicable voice command.. but nobody uses a voice command to find a supercharger.. and other cars cant even find a supercharger.. hence why this has been declared a meme fail

Last edited:
Reactions: jsight
*Which oft used controls? I have my seat heaters, def, wiper (don't even need this anymore),dashcam on the shortcut bar. I can't think of what is often used that you would have to dig down for?

Not disagreeing- because updates and improvements are always welcome and I do really like that Tesla responds to common complaints.
I can't think of what you would need to regularly go into sub menus for
I think we all get this... with necessity actually being cost reduction.

But sometimes, UI/UX design doesn't reflect real world usage. The best example is the v11 update (I think that was the one), where they put all the oft used stuff 2 or 3 clicks down and made it much harder to access. Since someone prefers analogies, that's like taking most of the physical controls and putting them inside the glovebox.

I really do applaud Tesla's steering wheel controls, so much simpler than some of those steering wheels with 6 buttons on each side and some even on the back. Even putting the drive modes on the stalk was an improvement to me (although I was used to that from my pickup driving days).

I worry about Tesla's removal of control stalks... maybe the "gas" pedal is next... "Tesla... go faster... uh... not so fast... uh... slower". :)

*Which oft used controls? I have my seat heaters, def, wiper (don't even need this anymore),dashcam on the shortcut bar. I can't think of what is often used that you would have to dig down for?

Not disagreeing- because updates and improvements are always welcome and I do really like that Tesla responds to common complaints.
i mostly agree.. the biggest thing that annoys me is when the HVAC turns on if i want to even look at the HVAC settings... and that i have to scroll to turn the HVAC off

shortcuts could maybe help that

I find it funny that people say using voice commands is the solution without considering all the use cases and scenarios... if you are by yourself, it probably works for most... but when you have other passengers... you can't interrupt conversations to tell your car what to do where a simple button/dial/touch would suffice.
I'll second not using voice commands for everything. When I'm alone in the vehicle - it's my mobile soundstage - it's at 90% volume the entirety of my journey - even if just down the street to run an errand or a multi-hour trip - and I don't want to have to constantly interrupt my music streaming to issue voice commands - I find it very annoying to say the least. When you have a carful of people - same issue just for different reasons as you pointed out.

Personally I think it would be ideal to have a handful of programmable tactile buttons on the dashboard of the vehicle (similar to the SEXY buttons) - along with a handful of programmable icons either vertically or horizontally integrated within the screen itself - a programmable icon bar of sorts - like what Tesla recently provided with the programmable left steering wheel scroll - that is "always on top" and easily accessible at all times - with stacked sub-icons for each function. So for example - if you want windshield wiper control - you drag that function over to the icon bar - and it's there permanently - when you touch that icon - it pops up the available wiper settings vertically. Want to easily switch your acceleration or steering modes on the fly? Add them to your icon bar. Just an idea - but it would perhaps strike a balance between having actual tactile dashboard vs virtual buttons - and this approach would allow each owner to customize their icon bar according to their needs - and could improve over time with OTA updates.

Reactions: BigNerd

Is the shortcut bar programmable? I'm still a relatively new owner so perhaps I just don't know that there's already an existing ability to create shortcuts to frequently used functions?

Is the shortcut bar programmable? I'm still a relatively new owner so perhaps I just don't know that there's already an existing ability to create shortcuts to frequently used functions?
yeah it's like a iphone - just hold down and drag what you want into the bar at the bottom of the screen. You can do it on your phone app too. pretty cool.

Do you not remember the v11 update? Maybe you got yours after they updated the update but many of the controls you mention (esp the seat heaters) were not accessible from the main screen. Sometime after, they added the ability to put those back on the main screen even after Elon said "The car should know automatically you want your seat heaters on" (he didn't really say that exactly but he implied that saying you don't need shortcuts on the main screen).