Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mach-E and my Y. Side by Side pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you're missing the point that the meme was way off base

And what? Now you're criticizing software updates for providing features that some users wanted (like physical controls)?? I guess I am missing the point
Huh? Your reply had nothing to do with my meme. And it's not really off base because this very thread has others who share that opinion.

And where did I criticize the update? I said the update proves the desire for more physcial controls..

You are missing the point. Again.

Huh? Your reply had nothing to do with my meme. And it's not really off base because this very thread has others who share that opinion.

And where did I criticize the update? I said the update proves the desire for more physcial controls..

You are missing the point. Again.
The meme is a dig at the unrealistic tests that show the superiority of physical controls by asking people to do unrealistic things at weird times and in weird sequences.

Memes are also meant to be funny and hyperbole.

I apologize if anyone was offended by it but what I was trying to say is that voice commands when you are by yourself tend to work... with others around... not so much. So saying they can properly replace physical controls isn't entirely accurate.

I have a friend who uses voice to text when we are biking... I mess with him so much because I yell random words to throw his texts off.

• Disagree
Reactions: gt2690b and jsight
Memes are also meant to be funny and hyperbole.

They are meant to be.. unfortunately this one sorely missed the mark

It'd be like me making a meme of a huge truck towing a 30k lb trailer and making fun of it's gas mileage ... Other cars don't even have this ability and your acting like it's a bad thing because you do it with a voice command (which is also lame because there's like 5 other ways you can navigate to a SC if you want to)

As they say in the political forums.. the left can't meme

Last edited:
I think voice commands are a neat option, but really shouldn't be the primary way of controlling things.

The only time I personally use them in the Tesla is for replying to texts while driving.

In my Toyota I use it to play my mp3s, Tesla always uses the streaming service (not my FLAC files) , so it's somewhat useless in that respect.

As for primary driving controls, I'm quite satisfied with the current setup due to the inclusion of "auto" for many features. Only thing I'm not a fan of is auto highbeams, I feel like my reaction is better than the cars (and I'm not going to use voice commands for that either). I think voice commands can be useful, but not for stuff you want to happen in a split second

I think voice commands are a neat option, but really shouldn't be the primary way of controlling things.
Luckily, they are not. They are an option available to you, so you have multiple way of doing things. It's great way to perform a function without taking your eyes off the road. The auto high beams are optional too. They are a great thing when you need em.

What’s not optional is having to tap through menus to turn on the headlights because the auto lamps will not turn on for rain.

It’s just great having to fish through menus for a light switch when driving over wet roads.
Try this....

Controlling Lights​

Touch Controls > Lights on the touchscreen to access all light controls, both interior and exterior.

You can also pull the turn signal stalk toward you to display a popup that provides quick access to exterior lights. For example, you can turn the headlights on or off continuously (overriding the default Auto High Beam setting). The lights popup allows you to adjust all exterior light settings, including parking lights, fog lights (if equipped), etc. The setting you choose is retained for the current drive only.

This thread inspired me to try a couple of voice commands today.

Me: “Set charge limit to 85%”
Car: “Climate temperature set to HI”

Me: “Turn on parking lights”
Car: “This command isn’t supported yet.”
You’re going to be changing your charge limit while you are driving? Really?

I never need to touch the screen while driving. I set my personal settings on it, that’s it.

I agree with the point about their manufacturing efficiency. However, that doesn’t transpose to experience and ultimately quality. How many times have we hear from Tesla their upcoming innovation cut cost by reducing X or Y. Primary example is the Model Y. It was hailed as an innovative feat by reducing some hundreds of yards of cabling used in the vehicle. The single casting press hailed as an innovative feat, being able to build cars much more efficiently and quickly. That to me translation to more profit for the share holders and reducing workforce. But did we see a significant equal feat in quality improvement?

No doubt Tesla is an innovative and technological company. But over 13 years later, they still lack the fundamental of car manufacturing and quality control. Simple example, I picked up my model S and the first mile driving off the lot, I had to u turn to have them look into why the airbag warning was on. Took them a week to realize, there was a missing cable connecting it to the car. This is on a vehicle costing over 80k, not a Toyota Corolla.

Just like Toyota and their Kaizen approach was a disrupter back in the 80s and 90s to legacy manufacturing. Toyota pioneered the ability to reuse manufacturing line for multiple car type and can quickly reconfigure them. They was a game changer back then forcing Ford and GM to adapt and change or go under.

My point is, Tesla is an industry disrupter. They make great software and constantly refining it. But they still lack behind the car manufacturing experience and quality. Maybe another 10 years they’ll get there but currently they are not.
This is an important distinction. Gigapress, 4680 structrual batteries, etc are all amazing innovations in cost cutting, manufacturing speed.
But Tesla doesn't really translate this to material and feature improvements for the consumer.
Tesla's focus really seems to be on reducing cost/increasing speed. This allows them massive per unit profit margins- they adjust msrp at will and can stay profitable deep into competitors offerings because no on can compete on price, software, engineering, or charging network. It's a bold and massively innovative and impressive strategy.

As a consumer, you don't get much in return. Usually, there are year on year updates, minor improvements in materials and features added.
I think there is an increase in quality, but not at any rate in line with how long these platforms have been out.
Had Tesla kept improving finish and materials- Tesla's lineup would truly be unquestionably rock solid Lexus level.
But that's not their focus.

One can argue that the broad strokes approach is far better for company survival. Rivian did the opposite and focused on amazing quality and deeply impressive consumer level features, finish and materials. Both approaches seem to not swing the needle regarding consumers ultimate choice to buy or not.

But that's a strategy that works, and obviously, we all can live with.
Again, on the whole, Tesla is just the best ev you can buy, imo.

This thread inspired me to try a couple of voice commands today.

Me: “Set charge limit to 85%”
Car: “Climate temperature set to HI”

Me: “Turn on parking lights”
Car: “This command isn’t supported yet.”
That's has been my experience with voice commands outside of requesting a navigation destination. I don't really use them for anything otherwise.

You’re going to be changing your charge limit while you are driving? Really?

I never need to touch the screen while driving. I set my personal settings on it, that’s it.

Yes, really. I was towing my boat yesterday, so I had to raise it to 100%. I usually forget to reset back to 85%, but remembered as I was driving and thought of suggestions in this thread. There is no personal setting to get the car to turn on headlamps with wipers. It’s either touch the screen while driving or keep them off, which isn’t legal in most states.

IMG_3889.jpeg

I’m convinced that some people are bent on defending every aspect of the car regardless of merit. Kind of like politics. “My side can do no wrong, and how dare you for thinking otherwise?”

I’m convinced that some people are bent on defending every aspect of the car regardless of merit. Kind of like politics. “My side can do no wrong, and how dare you for thinking otherwise?”
I’m convinced some people will complain about Anything for the sake of complaining. If they designed cars to appease Every buyers complaints there would be No cars.

I’m convinced some people will complain about Anything for the sake of complaining. If they designed cars to appease Every buyers complaints there would be No cars.

I think perspective is important. I love my car, but it’s not perfect anymore than other things in this world. This thread compares the Model Y with the MachE, and some of us think manual switches are a better option. I would have preferred this going down the road yesterday when it started raining instead of to having to paw through menus.

1684082793495.png

I don’t want a MachE. I think the Model Y is a superior car in a dozen different ways. But “our cars are BETTER IN EVEY WAY” is not an honest comparison.

I think perspective is important. I love my car, but it’s not perfect anymore than other things in this world. This thread compares the Model Y with the MachE, and some of us think manual switches are a better option. I would have preferred this going down the road yesterday when it started raining instead of to having to paw through menus.

View attachment 937574

I don’t want a MachE. I think the Model Y is a superior car in a dozen different ways. But “our cars are BETTER IN EVEY WAY” is not an honest comparison.
Find ANY post in this thread that says “our cars are better in every way”. You won’t find one. What you Will find is Any perspective that is not yours you will continuously Grind on until you feel you’ve won. I know what buttons are, (as do many) your choice but not everyones. Same with Batteries and every other “they did it wrong“ stance you have battled for. Present your opinion, you don’t however need to sell it.

This thread compares the Model Y with the MachE, and some of us think manual switches are a better option.
Sure, but FYI, there is no button that allows you, in the MachE, to do what you want : changing the SOC limit.
You still have to use the touchscreen and then work your way till you get it. So… for what action exactly you are missing the button ?

Sure, but FYI, there is no button that allows you, in the MachE, to do what you want : changing the SOC limit.
You still have to use the touchscreen and then work your way till you get it. So… for what action exactly you are missing the button ?

Mainly headlamps, vents, and wipers for me. I had the occasion yesterday where I realized that I needed to change my limit after getting on the road and thought about this thread and recommendations for voice commands. First for the headlights, and then the charge limit. I haven’t tried using voice commands since giving up on them for most things in 2019.

I’m optimistic that some of these will be resolved in software updates. The fact that it recognized what I was asking for and told me headlamps weren’t supported yet suggests it will be coming soon. And sooner or later, they’re bound to get the auto wipers sorted to the point where we rarely have to adjust things.