Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S has been that and the Roadster will become the new Halo car.

X was never necessary, even Elon said they didn't have to make it, and with the Y out, even more so.

I agree. I see the roadster at the top. But I think there’s still a place for a nicely equipped large sedan.

X is an unknown. Large suv with regular doors? 3rd row in the Y? (That Sean’s too small)

I love my 2017 X100D, but a refresh or redesigned X should just get rid of the falcon wing doors to start. Less expensive to manufacture and service; higher margins, I’d assume. Original X owners would he happy they have a collector’s item. Just make a bigger Y with air suspension, more luxury features, and take your pick 1-2 screens, and control the price to around $80k (not counting Plaid).

Now how will this timing, if true, incorporate the 4680 cells? Those won’t be ready for another year, right?

The car industry is going more and more to flexible platforms. Subaru us in the process of converting to a universal platform for all their cars. GM did it years ago with the large and largest cars. The Chevy Impala/Caprice, Pontiac Bonneville, Buick Le Sabre, and Oldsmobile 88 were built on one platform. The Buick Park Avenue, Oldsmobile 98, and Cadillac large sedan were built on a stretched version of the same chassis.

At some point it would be efficient for Tesla to modify the Model 3/Y to make it possible to widen the platform and stretch it for a fully refreshed Model S and X. At that point the S and X would cost only a little more than a 3/Y to produce. They could put all the extras into nicer trim and a bigger battery. Right now it costs Tesla more than it should to build the Model S and X because they are more complex designs than the 3/Y. Tesla was still learning to make cars when they designed the Model S.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I love my 2017 X100D, but a refresh or redesigned X should just get rid of the falcon wing doors to start. Less expensive to manufacture and service; higher margins, I’d assume. Original X owners would he happy they have a collector’s item. Just make a bigger Y with air suspension, more luxury features, and take your pick 1-2 screens, and control the price to around $80k (not counting Plaid).

Now how will this timing, if true, incorporate the 4680 cells? Those won’t be ready for another year, right?
A 2021 X is $80K car today with multiple screen, air suspension, etc.

And Tesla is all about reducing the number of options and streamlining manufacturing processes. Just like Henry Ford was with the Model T and any color you want as long as it is black.

Interesting theories presented here. However Elon even remarked the X is the signature luxury model of the brand and there is no need to change it. Sells well, is an icon, and is even featured to transport the astronauts to the launch pad.

Plus consider that the X and S hit their sales goals for Q4, ahead of schedule, and Tesla is giving those production lines a break should tell you you don't tinker with perfection. The S is in the "me too" sedan category so tinker will happen. The X is in a class of its own so no tinkering is needed.

The 3 and the Y are mass production commodities. You can have them. I'll take the top of the line please.

Plus consider that the X and S hit their sales goals for Q4, ahead of schedule, and Tesla is giving those production lines a break should tell you you don't tinker with perfection. The S is in the "me too" sedan category so tinker will happen. The X is in a class of its own so no tinkering is needed.

Are you seriously suggesting it would be a good idea to put staff partly on unpaid leave because you have sold ”enough”, without any ulterior motive? It would be a wasted opportunity not to refresh both at the same time – and Elon is not known for wasting opportunities.

Reactions: AvengerBB
I bought a Y last night LOL

3F30AEB5-AF61-4114-A2D6-C9511FD96C76.jpeg

I coulsnt wait to own a Tesla and from what I was told the X refresh is way out it if it even happens so how knows!!!

The Y will tide me over

This is Tesla #15 for me ❤️

Elon's email to employees says "refresh" in the first 2 sentences.
"Hi Team, the SX lines will be shut down for the holidays starting Dec. 24th and returning Jan. 11th.
We would like you to take the opportunity to refresh or spend time with your family"

Is that a signal of the S/X refresh, or just a joke to mess with us?
Anyhow - which of these items do you all think will be in the January refresh?
1) New X battery pack with 2170 cells with higher energy density that the Model 3 LR just received.
2) New X battery pack with 4680 cells supplied by Tesla Fremont or LG.
3) Heat pump to increase cold weather range
4) Chrome delete to satin black trim
5) 5G data chip
6) New fast MCU processor for higher-end gaming during FSD or Supercharge
5) USB port inside glovebox
6) USB-type-C ports
7) Heads up display

• Funny
Reactions: brkaus and byeLT4
Elon's email to employees says "refresh" in the first 2 sentences.
"Hi Team, the SX lines will be shut down for the holidays starting Dec. 24th and returning Jan. 11th.
We would like you to take the opportunity to refresh or spend time with your family"

Is that a signal of the S/X refresh, or just a joke to mess with us?
Anyhow - which of these items do you all think will be in the January refresh?
1) New X battery pack with 2170 cells with higher energy density that the Model 3 LR just received.
5) 5G data chip
6) USB-type-C ports
7) Heads up display

Maybe #3

5) 5G data chip
6) USB-type-C ports
7) Heads up display

1 will never ever happen. They'll stay in the 18650s until the newer cells are available.
2 - I think it more likely that a battery pack that is a size that could use the new cells may be introduced but not likely using the new cells yet. then again, maybe they'll take the plunge. We can always hope!
3, 4, 5b & 6b are probable.
5a & 6a seem unlikely.
I don't think there's a chance for 7.

The possibility exists that we will get the new vent system like the 3 and Y . Probably some other internal improvements.