Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's email to employees says "refresh" in the first 2 sentences.
"Hi Team, the SX lines will be shut down for the holidays starting Dec. 24th and returning Jan. 11th.
We would like you to take the opportunity to refresh or spend time with your family"

Is that a signal of the S/X refresh, or just a joke to mess with us?
Anyhow - which of these items do you all think will be in the January refresh?
1) New X battery pack with 2170 cells with higher energy density that the Model 3 LR just received.
2) New X battery pack with 4680 cells supplied by Tesla Fremont or LG.
3) Heat pump to increase cold weather range
4) Chrome delete to satin black trim
5) 5G data chip
6) New fast MCU processor for higher-end gaming during FSD or Supercharge
5) USB port inside glovebox
6) USB-type-C ports
7) Heads up display

8) Ventilated Seats and/or seats with massage.
9) Charge port with CCS integrated (for Europe?) (may bring a new design to rear lights)
10) New center console with two wireless phone chargers
11) Horizontal screen + additional heads up display and screen for hvac in the rear
12) Doble glass in front doors
13) New improved headlights (with "matrix" for Europe.)
14) Better soundproofing
the wish list is never ending :)

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
1 will never ever happen. They'll stay in the 18650s until the newer cells are available.
2 - I think it more likely that a battery pack that is a size that could use the new cells may be introduced but not likely using the new cells yet. then again, maybe they'll take the plunge. We can always hope!
3, 4, 5b & 6b are probable.
5a & 6a seem unlikely.
I don't think there's a chance for 7.

The possibility exists that we will get the new vent system like the 3 and Y . Probably some other internal improvements.

I think I mostly agree with you except for on 5a - which I believe was a 5G modem. There have been firmware leaks that include support for the next version of the current modem that is used in Tesla's cars that is a 5G modem that is shipping in already released to production firmware so this seem imminent in some Tesla car, whether it be a 3 or Y or S or X.

I think I mostly agree with you except for on 5a - which I believe was a 5G modem. There have been firmware leaks that include support for the next version of the current modem that is used in Tesla's cars that is a 5G modem that is shipping in already released to production firmware so this seem imminent in some Tesla car, whether it be a 3 or Y or S or X.

And I think Elon has recently mentioned that 5G is coming to Teslas soon.

On reconsideration, I think you are probably correct!

IMO the S and X will jump from 18650 to 4680. The gains are not large enough to justify the redesign of the pack only to immediately redo it for 4680.

I think it may make sense to debut the 4680 in the S/X. Volume is lower so would give them a chance to ramp production more gently. That being said, I do not foresee 4680s in January.

Heat Pump is highly probable.

IMO the S and X will jump from 18650 to 4680. The gains are not large enough to justify the redesign of the pack only to immediately redo it for 4680.

I think it may make sense to debut the 4680 in the S/X. Volume is lower so would give them a chance to ramp production more gently. That being said, I do not foresee 4680s in January.

Heat Pump is highly probable.

it is possible that they would redesign the chassis so that a new pack for the new cells would fit, but not yet use the new cells They may use 18650s inside of a pack the correct size, while they wait for the production of the batteries to increase to the point where they can use them properly. Shoot, they may even keep that configuration and only use the new cells for the plaid version.

I don't think they need to worry about the structural pack idea with these cars. The S and the x. They're large enough that the weight penalty is not enough to warrant a rework of the body design to that degree.