Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major 2021 Model X refresh pending [Update: Unveiled January 27, 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mercedes EQC, Audi eTron and Jaguar iPace outperforms Model X in price, interior and quality. They are still some years behind on technology and range. But they will catch up..

Mercedes EQC, Audi eTron, and Jaguar iPace are all competing against the Model Y, not the X.
As of today, there is no EV that can compete against the X in terms of size.
Jaguar is working on one but it will take time and because of that, there is no reason to refresh the X yet.

Mercedes EQC, Audi eTron, and Jaguar iPace are all competing against the Model Y, not the X.
As of today, there is no EV that can compete against the X in terms of size.
Jaguar is working on one but it will take time and because of that, there is no reason to refresh the X yet.
Agree. I'm eager to see 3 row competition. Jaguar iPace has similar interior space to a Bolt. I'm thinking the VW Buzz or ID.6 will be the first competition.
2022 Volkswagen ID.6 spy shots: Production version of ID Roomzz concept spotted

Last edited:

I'm coming up on 5 years of X ownership and even longer on my S. Seems every year there's a "major refresh" coming. I don't doubt there are changes, but maybe everyone has a different definition of "major" or maybe if one says it long enough they'll eventually hit.

I'm coming up on 5 years of X ownership and even longer on my S. Seems every year there's a "major refresh" coming. I don't doubt there are changes, but maybe everyone has a different definition of "major" or maybe if one says it long enough they'll eventually hit.
Yes, I agree. Tesla should focus on the Y and the 3 since the competitors are closing the gap. The MX can wait.

• Disagree
Reactions: skybluecgreen
Yes, I agree. Tesla should focus on the Y and the 3 since the competitors are closing the gap. The MX can wait.

Tesla doesn't need the S and X to be successful. The 3 and Y are their bread and butter. In a few years they might be a significant player in the truck business too. Though the Cybertruck is not really going to replace a lot of F-150s. What it will likely eat into is the Jeep market.

I just picked up 2021 MX last Sunday. I had to choice as section 179 for 2020 had to be done. CPA told me I had to take delivery by dec 31
If it wasn’t for the write off, I would’ve waited.
Fantastic car. Best suv I’ve ever had and I have had fancy MB and Porsche in the past.

I received an email from Tesla that my 2021 MX is ready for pick up. Also buying for the 179 write off. Agonizing over if I should wait and push the write off to next year or just take possession.

Im leaning towards waiting as my gut say there will be an update soon but damn it a difficult decision.

congrats on your new MX - jealous

Reactions: andrewdtran
I would hate it if they got rid of the keyfob. I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't always take there phone everywhere. When I do have it in the car I only take it with me when i get out if I'm sure I will need it where I'm going. I sometimes don't take the phone at all. I also turn off Bluetooth whenever I have the phone outside the car.
IIRC you can still get a fob for the 3/Y, they just make you pay for it. So even if they add/change to the keycard/phone key in the S/X you can still get a fob. That's what I would do.

I received an email from Tesla that my 2021 MX is ready for pick up. Also buying for the 179 write off. Agonizing over if I should wait and push the write off to next year or just take possession.

Im leaning towards waiting as my gut say there will be an update soon but damn it a difficult decision.

congrats on your new MX - jealous
I also just picked up a MX two weeks ago for the Section 179 and 168 (k) deductions. I did not wait you never know if they revise the tax code for 2021. Code changes happen yearly and you may not know if the change mid 2021. One year Section 179 was changed in December for the current year.

Tesla doesn't need the S and X to be successful. The 3 and Y are their bread and butter. In a few years they might be a significant player in the truck business too. Though the Cybertruck is not really going to replace a lot of F-150s. What it will likely eat into is the Jeep market.

This exactly.

Geeze, can we all just sit back and just imagine for a second?

GM in the 90's: "We should focus on our FWD platforms, our Japanese competitors are closing the gap. The EV1 can wait."

BMW in the 2010's: "We should focus on the 3 and 5 series, our competitors are closing the gap. The i3, i8, and electrification can wait."

and then there's...

Porsche: "We should stop focusing on the 911, the Cayenne is our top seller here....or we could just sell a crapload of Cayenne's so we can further develop the 911...and anyone want to go racing? What do you think about a mid-engine? Yes? EV too? Sure why not..how many more Cayenne's do we need to sell to pay for that?"

I think Porsche shows that it doesn't have to be an either or. I would also think Tesla doesn't want to only focus on the Y and 3. If that was the thinking and culture, we might all still be driving Camry's, RX300's, and Priuses while Tesla remained non-existent.

GM in the 90's: "We should focus on our FWD platforms, our Japanese competitors are closing the gap. The EV1 can wait."

BMW in the 2010's: "We should focus on the 3 and 5 series, our competitors are closing the gap. The i3, i8, and electrification can wait."

and then there's...

Porsche: "We should stop focusing on the 911, the Cayenne is our top seller here....or we could just sell a crapload of Cayenne's so we can further develop the 911...and anyone want to go racing? What do you think about a mid-engine? Yes? EV too? Sure why not..how many more Cayenne's do we need to sell to pay for that?"

I think Porsche shows that it doesn't have to be an either or. I would also think Tesla doesn't want to only focus on the Y and 3. If that was the thinking and culture, we might all still be driving Camry's, RX300's, and Priuses while Tesla remained non-existent.

Sorry, I disagree, Porshe sold 60K cars in 2019, Telsa sold over 300K the same year. (The Taycan is now the most popular car Porsche makes! thank you, Tesla.)
Porshe focuses on premium markets with amazing quality and performance, Tesla tries to create a new market for EV and quality is less of an important for them (for now).
Both companies target different audiences and because of that focus on different things, Since Tesla tries to sell lots of cars they need to focus on "cheap" cars. This is why I think the 3 and the Y should be their focus and not the S or/and the X.

Elon master plan

1. Create a low volume car, which would necessarily be expensive (Roadster)
  2. Use that money to develop a medium volume car at a lower price (MS and MY)
  3. Use that money to create an affordable, high volume car (MY and M3)

Last edited:
Sorry, I disagree, Porshe sold 60K cars in 2019, Telsa sold over 300K the same year. (The Taycan is now the most popular car Porsche makes! thank you, Tesla.)
Porshe focuses on premium markets with amazing quality and performance, Tesla tries to create a new market for EV and quality is less of an important for them (for now).
Both companies target different audiences and because of that focus on different things, Since Tesla tries to sell lots of cars they need to focus on "cheap" cars. This is why I think the 3 and the Y should be their focus and not the S or/and the X.

Elon master plan

So, by this are you saying that Tesla should shelve any updates to the S and X even though they have provided the financial means to move forward on other development? The reality is that Tesla has been updating each vehicle over time, and as such with the 3 and Y now looking to be profitable that will help extend into the CyberTruck, the Semi and the $25K Tesla that has been mentioned.

I think there's some room to give the S and X a significant update - which is coming given the Plaid version and the 4680 structural modules. Right now, I'm curious to see how 2021 sorts itself out at Tesla.

So, by this are you saying that Tesla should shelve any updates to the S and X even though they have provided the financial means to move forward on other development? The reality is that Tesla has been updating each vehicle over time, and as such with the 3 and Y now looking to be profitable that will help extend into the CyberTruck, the Semi and the $25K Tesla that has been mentioned.

I think there's some room to give the S and X a significant update - which is coming given the Plaid version and the 4680 structural modules. Right now, I'm curious to see how 2021 sorts itself out at Tesla.
To be honest, I don't know, Tesla has a lot of money now but I don't see them competing against Porshe, MB, etc.. in the luxury segment.
The all-electric Cayenne is coming soon, it will definitely eat away X sells. The Taycan is already eating model S sells ( i know I am one of them)
Audi, MB, BMW are all knocking on Tesla's door. I guess we will have to wait and see how it will play out.

Elon master plan

Well the first question is what do you mean by "focus"? Many of the aspects of each car are the same. Battery technology is probably the most important thing they need to "focus" on. And said focus will benefit all of their cars. Likewise, FSD benefits all of their cars. To be a real world contender they should have cars in all segments. The halo effect of the S and X benefits the sales of the Y and 3. Tesla should absolutely continue to advance the S and X - this does benefit the whole company. And much of the R&D already applies to all vehicles. Increased manufacturing capability is of course going to focus on the Y and 3, but they would be fools to leave the S and X behind.