Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want static cruise control because:
- EV static cruise control is freaking awesome compared to ICEV due to precise and rapid control of motor RPM and strong regenerative braking. Neither of my plugins have adaptive cruise, and I live in a place with a lot of undulation, but I drive in cruise control almost all the time.
- Static cruise has no significant additional sensor dependency so it's always available.
- Static cruise does not suffer from phantom braking.
- We live in a relatively low-density location where the benefits of adaptive cruise control are limited: we just don't have people in front of us that often.

My wife wants static cruise control additionally because:
- People who can't maintain speed suck, and shouldn't be copied by driver assistance.
Nailed it. The always available plus low density applies very much to most of my driving.

AP is dumb enough to hallucinate objects such that it PBs urgently.

I had a case when on empty two lane highway the car slowed down (not phantom braking but an orderly slowdown), switched to the left lane, accelerated back to original speed, drove for a little bit in the left lane and switched lane back. Exactly like it does when coming up to a slower driving car but there was no car and no visualization of the imagined car on the display.

Reactions: sjg98
Why are you approaching this with such hostility? I’m happy for you that you don’t experience this issue. Just because you have been lucky enough not to have it doesn’t mean it’s not an issue for others. Clearly it’s an issue for enough people to find itself discussed here repeatedly. In my case it happens on specific stretches when the conditions are just so, open highway ahead with the light reflecting off the road just the right way.

I didn’t happen to save the dashcam, and I have nothing to prove to you. Nor does anyone else, so the fact no one is jumping through your hoops to provide “proof” is irrelevant. We don’t need to prove anything to you.

Even if you assume I was not in danger of being rear ended (the fact that I intervened quickly prevented a rear ending, as is the case for most), it is still causing road rage issues. Again, I live in rural Alberta where the mere sight of a Tesla causes blood to boil for many. If they perceive I’m now brake checking them, the rage intensifies.

Like many others, I’ve had other cars with adaptive cruise (Golf R, Lexus). Whether you consider it a minor slow down or a major braking event, none of them do this, even minor slowdowns never happened out of turn. And all of them had the option to disable the ”adaptive” portion of the cruise and downgrade to regular cruise. That’s really all I’m asking for, the ability to disable the adaptive portion when those conditions exist that cause PB. As it stands right now I can’t even use cruise on certain roads in certain conditions.

yup. I no longer use TACC when driving down to Fredericksburg/TX - because the last thing I need is a some rural truck driver thinking I brake-check them...

brake-checking can escalate road rage in Texas very badly...

Reactions: sandman1330
Why are you approaching this with such hostility? I’m happy for you that you don’t experience this issue. Just because you have been lucky enough not to have it doesn’t mean it’s not an issue for others. Clearly it’s an issue for enough people to find itself discussed here repeatedly. In my case it happens on specific stretches when the conditions are just so, open highway ahead with the light reflecting off the road just the right way.

I didn’t happen to save the dashcam, and I have nothing to prove to you. Nor does anyone else, so the fact no one is jumping through your hoops to provide “proof” is irrelevant. We don’t need to prove anything to you.

Even if you assume I was not in danger of being rear ended (the fact that I intervened quickly prevented a rear ending, as is the case for most), it is still causing road rage issues. Again, I live in rural Alberta where the mere sight of a Tesla causes blood to boil for many. If they perceive I’m now brake checking them, the rage intensifies.

Like many others, I’ve had other cars with adaptive cruise (Golf R, Lexus). Whether you consider it a minor slow down or a major braking event, none of them do this, even minor slowdowns never happened out of turn. And all of them had the option to disable the ”adaptive” portion of the cruise and downgrade to regular cruise. That’s really all I’m asking for, the ability to disable the adaptive portion when those conditions exist that cause PB. As it stands right now I can’t even use cruise on certain roads in certain conditions.

I am not being hostile...why are you being evasive?

You are right, you don't have to prove anything...you can just continue to make statements on this forum for whatever reason. I'm not asking you to prove anything, I only ask for more DATA to help guide informed discussion about this issue which is extremely scenario specific. People's eye's and feelings can get be at odds with the data sometimes and I am not saying you are wrong or that your scenario was not dangerous, I(and I would bet others as well) would like to see the data for themselves.

If this happens to you regularly and at predictable times then is it so "hostile" to ask that you provide dashcam video to show what you are talking about?

• Disagree
Reactions: sjg98
yup. I no longer use TACC when driving down to Fredericksburg/TX - because the last thing I need is a some rural truck driver thinking I brake-check them...

brake-checking can escalate road rage in Texas very badly...
Yup. These are the kinds of things that can happen:

You are right, you don't have to prove anything...you can just continue to make statements on this forum for whatever reason. I'm not asking you to prove anything, I only ask for more DATA to help guide informed discussion about this issue which is extremely scenario specific. People's eye's and feelings can get be at odds with the data sometimes and I am not saying you are wrong or that your scenario was not dangerous, I(and I would bet others as well) would like to see the data for themselves.

If this happens to you regularly and at predictable times then is it so "hostile" to ask that you provide dashcam video to show what you are talking about?

in terms of feelings... whenever I have a PB out of the blue... it's strong enough for my wife to go "WTF was that????????"

so that's a data point...

in terms of feelings... whenever I have a PB out of the blue... it's strong enough for my wife to go "WTF was that????????"

so that's a data point...

Growing up my mom would have her own human Phantom issues and scream and cover her eyes....for a big nothing event...there's a data point too.

I do agree that the wife's projected unhappiness about events has a STRONG influence in some of these conversations. :)

BUT those are not valid data points when trying to look at the technical aspect of why it is happening in a specific scenario.

Asking for more data is inappropriate. The mere reporting of the issue by consumers is sufficient. Unless you work at Tesla, and you're trying to use this forum as a place where you detect reproducible bugs for your software. Which is also inappropriate.

The point here is that it's UNREASONABLE to expect that consumers should keep track of specific situations that trigger phantom breaks and specific software versions they had, for a 2-ton piece of metal that moves at highway speeds. It is UNREASONABLE to be sitting at the tip of your seat waiting for the next phantom break.

The whole software version thing is such a red herring because in a week you can quickly argue "oh, but a later software version is out now, it's a blackbox but hopefully it's fixed the problem."

Tesla should acknowledge the phantom breaking issue. They sure as hell don't talk about it when they're selling the vehicle to you. Tesla should also make a regular cruise control feature available. It's pretty irresponsible of them that they don't.

Asking for more data is inappropriate

No

Unless you work at Tesla, and you're trying to use this forum as a place where you detect reproducible bugs for your software. Which is also inappropriate.

A Tesla employee using these forums to ask customers to provide data.....yes, inappropriate.

Do you think I work for Tesla and am trying to use this forum to find reproducible bugs? 🤔

No

A Tesla employee using these forums to ask customers to provide data.....yes, inappropriate.

Do you think I work for Tesla and am trying to use this forum to find reproducible bugs? 🤔

Your persistence on seeing more data and calling this a situation-specific issue that requires case by case analysis sure makes it seems like you are trying to redirect the conversation from "consumers have a reasonable expectation of predictable behavior from their cars" to "what happened to you will not necessarily happen to the next person."

On its own (without qualifiers) this statement is so wrong... Hopefully, I'm just missing prior context with all the relevant qualifiers...
If you have 10,000 reports of phantom breaks (an extremely dangerous thing while driving) across different software versions and situations, Tesla should acknowledge the issue and VERY CLEARLY inform drivers of this specific risk at the time of purchase and whenever Autopilot/FSD is engaged, and at a minimum provide a way that consumers could prevent the issue, i.e. regular cruise control.

Asking for dashcam data of 1 of those 10,000 reports does not do anything to fix the systemic issue.

Last edited:
If you have 10,000 reports of phantom breaks (an extremely dangerous thing while driving) across different software versions and situations, Tesla should acknowledge the issue and VERY CLEARLY inform drivers of this specific risk at the time of purchase and whenever Autopilot/FSD is engaged, and at a minimum provide a way that consumers could prevent the issue, i.e. regular cruise control.
I agree with this part.
Asking for dashcam data of 1 of those 10,000 reports does not do anything to fix the systemic issue.
They indeed need to be asking for all available dashcam data where they do not already have it. It may not be available in all cases but that is besides the point.

On the other hand there might be a few cases they have identified as important and would like to have additional data if it is available. You may have noticed one of them.

I agree with this part.

They indeed need to be asking for all available dashcam data where they do not already have it. It may not be available in all cases but that is besides the point.

On the other hand there might be a few cases they have identified as important and would like to have additional data if it is available. You may have noticed one of them.
Doesn't Tesla already have access to your vehicle data, and aren't they already aware of virtually all cases of phantom breaks (software reduces speed, person presses the gas pedal)?

thats what i said 6 years ago!!!
Agreed, and I said 5 years ago and again 3 years ago when I twice purchased the FSD option. For me it was mostly fine except for known triggers (overpasses, etc...) but then regressed with Tesla Vision "update" (?). Now triggers on wide open highways out of the blue. But I'm still hopeful! Although if I purchase another Tesla in 2 years there's no way I will get "FSD" at these prices, nor EAP I doubt.

Doesn't Tesla already have access to your vehicle data, and aren't they already aware of virtually all cases of phantom breaks (software reduces speed, person presses the gas pedal)?

That's the "where they do not already have it" qualifier. But in any case whatever tesla gets automatically is a snippet that we do not know how big it is. Additional information beyond that might be useful in some cases.

I had a case when on empty two lane highway the car slowed down (not phantom braking but an orderly slowdown), switched to the left lane, accelerated back to original speed, drove for a little bit in the left lane and switched lane back. Exactly like it does when coming up to a slower driving car but there was no car and no visualization of the imagined car on the display.
It is making sure whether it took the red pill or the blue pill before starting off.