Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

map updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same thing happened to me today. I have full bars WiFi at home, and no LTE at work (covered parking, metal roof blocks the signal). Only when parked in a public parking lot today for about 1.5 hours with an LTE signal did I finally get the map update.

Could also just be a giant coincidence, maybe they rolled it out for my area today and I would have gotten it regardless?

Also got my map update this morning.... Sometime between when I arrived at this event (8:30a est) and when I left (noon). Not on Wi-Fi.

However they're still out of date. The road that leads to my office was changed about a year ago and it's still not updated with Navigon. Google maps updated within weeks

Last edited:
Won the lottery today - received the map update - 2nd one in 37 months. Next up - trying to figure out how old this update really is. We have a new roads in our area, and it's likely this update is already at least 3 to 6 months out-of-date (while the Google maps reflect road changes almost immediately).

Got my maps update today (probably downloaded sometime last night while I was parked in the garage on wifi).

What I found interesting is that when Nav routed me home from work this afternoon, for the first time ever it actually took me by the best route. It's not that the route it used to use had any traffic (it didn't), and it's not that there are roads on the map now that weren't there before...but it seems like the route-finding is actually better. Wasn't expecting that.

Unfortunately the route *to* work was still showing the less-than-ideal route (even though Google Maps gets it right).

I go the update message at a rest area in the middle of a 5 hour trip on the Maryland/Virginia boarder on the Eastern Shore. I connect to WIFI in my garage and have not seen the update. I was surprised that it came in the middle of a trip on LTE. The nav computer was still routing the trip when I got the message. I noticed that it picked a better route for the rest of the trip. In the past it would ask me to exit RT13 to take business loops through town which were longer than just staying on the highway. This time it took the direct route.

Good news - I received the update yesterday. Bad news - appears the maps may be at least a year old already.

The navigation software still thinks my house is at the wrong place on the block; that it takes 5 minutes to drive the first few feet on our street; and a major street being added near our house is still missing, even though it's been there for over a year (and many houses now line side streets on both sides of the new street).

I've again reported the problems to Tesla. This time I didn't bother with the car's "Bug Report" feature - and sent an e-mail, with pictures. Though if the problems are out-of-date map data, it could be at least another year before I'll see any progress.