Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March Model 3 Unveil just drawings? No actual car? Disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL. So some people actually think that Tesla wouldn't realize that people would be disappointed if the reveal turned out to be just pictures? That's crazy. I'm certain that they'd sooner delay the reveal to have a prototype available rather than opening a curtain with a giant photo behind it.

I think you're right. Although Musk said, "First pictures will be available end of March" I am assuming he means in addition to the roll-out event where they physically roll out a prototype onto a spinning stage or something like that. I can't imagine it just being 2D photographs. I really do think that would be ridiculous. So, I think you guys are right, and I must have been wrong. Because the alternative would be absurd.

I think the confusion here is coming from the article vs the actual video of the event. The article makes it sound like he said they will ONLY show pictures.

If you watch the actual source video of the event, a customer directly asks Elon "When will we see pictures of the Model 3?" Elon then directly answers that question, saying first pictures will be in March. This is like a telephone game between the actual event, and media reporting it.

The article says first renderings will be available in march. Elon said nothing of the sort -- someone asked about pictures, Elon said when pictures would be available (presumably because they'd be taken of the prototype at that time). The article took pictures to mean renderings, and no actual prototype reveal.
Yes he was implying the prototype would be able to be photographed in march i believe.

As I already wrote in the investor threads (that valuationmatters very likely has read, as he has posted his negative entries there regularly) :

Elon did not say we will ONLY see pictures.

Question in the video (@ 12.25) was : "When will we see pictures of the Model 3 ?" ... and the answer was "The first pictures of Model 3.. That will be end of March".

Elon then added: "we are not going to show everything of model 3 until we are much closer to production".

Next to that, the Q3-ER stated:

As of September 30, 2015, the following three performance milestones were considered probable of achievement:
-
Successful completion of the Model 3 Alpha Prototype
- Aggregate vehicle production of 100,000 vehicles; and
- Successful completion of the Model 3 Beta Prototype

They must have been pretty close to these milestones late September. (the 100k aggregate production was actually reached in December).

I do expect we will see at least an Alpha prototype at the unveil.

Elon's comments in Paris were taking completely out of context. He was working on a couple of hours of sleep so he likely didn't hear the question properly when asked about Model 3.

Tesla has always shown working, driving prototypes when they do reveals. Model 3 will not be anything less than that.

Here's the Model X reveal in February 2012 to refresh yourselves on how they do it:

And the Model S reveal in 2009 which was the very earliest Alpha prototype

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy smokes it is like I am living in the Twlight Zone. Tesla just told us that instead of the wonderful Model 3 UNVEILING (a car drives out onto a rotating stage, everyone goes "ooh" and "ahhh"), we will get PICTURES -- ONLY.

And all the believers say, "Well that was always the plan, to just show pictures."
Yes I agree you are in twilight zone. No announcement pictures ONLY. Use of quotes misleading. Can you point to where quotation came from a tesla spokesperson. All believers with identical words which your use of quotes indicate

1/31/2016: Speaking at a special event at Tesla’s base in Chambourcy, France, Tesla CEO Elon Musk hinted at a staggered unveiling for the Model 3 similar to that which we saw for the Model X SUV. “The first pictures of the Model 3 will be end of March” Musk said. “I am being a little coy here, we are not gonna show everything about the Model 3 until a lot closer to production time.”

So basically, we get drawings? Pretty disappointing. Quick, someone spin this as a positive.

*Facepalm*

Elon is just saying the same thing he did about Model X. "We're keeping some things close to our vest". They're going to show a rolling Model 3 prototype, like they always have, but keep a lot of the details to themselves until the final production car reveal.

Tesla has a distinct history of repeating themselves on their reveals, they're a creature of habit. Expect nothing less for Model 3. Can we stop panicking yet???

Elon's comments in Paris were taking completely out of context. He was working on a couple of hours of sleep so he likely didn't hear the question properly when asked about Model 3.
I came in here to say exactly this. At the very start of the video he says that he literally only had a couple hours of sleep in the past 48 hours. There's a lot of overreacting going on in here.

Contrary to the current conversation, there was an accidental "reveal" of the Model 3 about 2-3 years ago. Basically, the Model 3 looks like a small Model S.

The accidental reveal was within a video posted by Tesla. The video was intended to showcase the Tesla factory and accidentally included a shot of the design studio where a Model 3, probably a full-size clay model, was briefly seen.

That's not correct. The clay model has been thoroughly discussed and it was not a Model 3. No way they started designing that car 3 years ago and no way that's what the Model 3 is going to look like.

The person* who said: "A picture paints a thousand words" was clearly never a member of TMC. :biggrin:

*sigh* I'm a bit disappointed that the March reveal will be more low-key than anticipated. But not, you know, end-of-civilization-as-we-know-it-disappointed.

Coz on the upside it gives us loads more Tesla-time to spend discussing the cool features which might appear in the final car and/or which will make S owners furious and demand upgrades.

That one never gets old.

*Telly Savalas

Haven't you figured it out yet :rolleyes:.

I am so clever it scares people.

Elon is revealing pictures aka drawings cgi or other because the prototype was unveiled... faraday future, but because of the bad reaction they are scraping it and have had to rush back to the drawing board literally and are having to draw the new Model 3, without time to build a clay or prototype.:biggrin:

I believe it will be a single picture - taken via satellite.

That would be, as a 'Short' would say, "massively disappointing".

BTW, I don't really understand how a 'Short' would be disappointed with bad news about Tesla.

(One of the funnier threads in quite awhile)

*Facepalm*

Elon is just saying the same thing he did about Model X. "We're keeping some things close to our vest". They're going to show a rolling Model 3 prototype, like they always have, but keep a lot of the details to themselves until the final production car reveal.

Tesla has a distinct history of repeating themselves on their reveals, they're a creature of habit. Expect nothing less for Model 3. Can we stop panicking yet???

+1

EM must get quite frustrated at how people over analyze his words. I think he's saying that there are some aspects of the vehicle that won't be shown. It's good to keep people guessing!

*sigh* I'm a bit disappointed that the March reveal will be more low-key than anticipated. But not, you know, end-of-civilization-as-we-know-it-disappointed.

It will not be low key. I expect it to be as big as the Model X prototype showing. The Model 3 reveal is what will catapult the company into the next level. You do not play that down. Tesla will want and need the number of reservations to take off like a skyrocket. Why? Because it is very possible that Tesla doesn't have enough money to pull off the entire build out for the Model 3 and to finish off the battery gigafactory. Tesla will want and need to show the incredible demand that they are expecting. Nothing says that better than 50,000 reservations on the first day and 200,000 reservations in the first few months.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is only artwork and minor details. Maybe a clay model at best. It wouldn't be a disappointment to me as that is exactly what I was expecting. With Model X just now starting to roll off the line, I would be massively impressed if they have a rolling prototype Model 3. Regardless, I'm sure it will beat the Faraday Future reveal. :p

The prototype or beta models that Tesla Motors shows at reveal time have always been different than the final version.

When drawings, photos and/or drivable vehicles appear at reveal, expect improvements and other changes until the Design Studio opens for the Model 3 reservation holders.