Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having driven manual transmission cars for most of my life, Creep just isn't for me. I want the car to do only what I ask it to do with the accelerator pedal. No press, no go.

Also, I don't see how a combination of Creep and Hold would work. You are approaching a red light... so you lift off the accelerator and the car comes to a complete stop. Now... how do you get it to creep? Your foot is aready off of both pedals and the car is stopped.

LOL I didn’t think about that. You’re absolutely right. And making the driver hold the brake pedal down after the car has come to a full stop to engage CREEP wouldn’t be elegant.

For those who are used to driving manual transmission cars, HOLD is like an advanced Neutral gear without the need to press brakes.

For those who are used to the traditional automatic transmission cars, CREEP feels natural. Hey, I’ll keep giving HOLD mode a try for a few more days and see if I convert :)

I'm curious how HOLD works on extremely steep hills, like Seattle or San Francisco roads. If it decelerates rapidly while going uphill, does it engage brake hold without sliding backwards. I'm guessing downhill still needs some added brake pedal action.

Reactions: PACEMD
Also, I don't see how a combination of Creep and Hold would work. You are approaching a red light... so you lift off the accelerator and the car comes to a complete stop. Now... how do you get it to creep? Your foot is aready off of both pedals and the car is stopped.

You would simply tap the accelerator the same way you can today when you're in creep mode and you manually engage hold by pressing harder on the brake. One light tap and the car will start creeping forward again. I do this every day.

Reactions: evannole
You would simply tap the accelerator the same way you can today when you're in creep mode and you manually engage hold by pressing harder on the brake. One light tap and the car will start creeping forward again. I do this every day.

that’s what he is saying - if the HOLD mode is used, you won’t need to press on the brake, like ever, to come to a full stop. And the premise of engaging CREEP is letting go of brake pedal.

Your use case is slightly different and that’s what I was saying to him above - to combine CREEP and HOLD (instead of ROLL and HOLD as it’s implemented today in 36.2), one must press the brake pedal AFTER the car has come to a full stop. Then next time, as soon as you release the brake, car creeps forward. Not very elegant. So, having given it another thought, it’s done with the best case of usability in mind.

I'm curious how HOLD works on extremely steep hills, like Seattle or San Francisco roads. If it decelerates rapidly while going uphill, does it engage brake hold without sliding backwards. I'm guessing downhill still needs some added brake pedal action.

From my limited driving in the last 24 hours on San Francisco hills, it seems to be doing a pretty good job at slowing down to 0 at the same rate regardless of whether you’re going uphill or downhill.
Also, it does not roll back when moving forward uphill and slowing down to a stop, which is great.
Finally, I’ve been able to park in really tight spots (about 2 inches on either end) with HOLD mode - no problems here.

that’s what he is saying - if the HOLD mode is used, you won’t need to press on the brake, like ever, to come to a full stop. And the premise of engaging CREEP is letting go of brake pedal.

Your use case is slightly different and that’s what I was saying to him above - to combine CREEP and HOLD (instead of ROLL and HOLD as it’s implemented today in 36.2), one must press the brake pedal AFTER the car has come to a full stop. Then next time, as soon as you release the brake, car creeps forward. Not very elegant. So, having given it another thought, it’s done with the best case of usability in mind.

I know, but why couldn't the way to exit hold mode and engage creep again simply be to tap on the accelerator the same way you can today if you're in hold mode regardless of how you entered hold mode? Creep on reverse, creep when rolling forward and not pressing the accelerator, after having pressed the accelerator enough to go faster than creep speed when going forward then engage hold after coming to a complete stop, tap the accelerator to exit hold. What am I missing here? Everytime I'm at a light and I think it will be a longer light, I press harder on the brake to engage hold and remove my feet from the pedals. I tap the accelerator to get going again.

Last edited:
Reactions: evannole
That's why manuals are going the way of the dodo. And that's from someone who swore he'd never have a non-manual because they were so crappy/slow/slushy/uncontrollable. Guess what? Times change.

I'm going to continue to use Hold mode because I DO think it's better than Creep in most cases.

Cool idea, maybe we could have Dodo mode. And now I'm speechless, I never took you for a holdup man. No seriously, software options to accommodate our mostly minor differences in driving styles would be a good thing. But as you pointed out, Tesla likes to keep things simple, probably rightly so.

I was also curious how the Hold function was going to work. I was worried that the slowdown and stop would be too sudden, but it does a good natural slowdown and hold, which also works well with using the brake if you're coming in too fast. Good implementation, overall.

Reactions: JBT66
I know, but why couldn't the way to exit hold mode and engage creep again simply be to tap on the accelerator the same way you can today if you're in hold mode regardless of how you entered hold mode? Creep on reverse, creep when rolling forward and not pressing the accelerator, after having pressed the accelerator enough to go faster than creep speed when going forward then engage hold after coming to a complete stop, tap the accelerator to exit hold. What am I missing here? Everytime I'm at a light and I think it will be a longer light, I press harder on the brake to engage hold and remove my feet from the pedals. I tap the accelerator to get going again.

I just tried it and think it’s kind of how it is working today. When you come to a full stop with HOLD mode, and when you tap the accelerator pedal, you should be able to “mimic” the CREEP mode a little bit if you don’t floor it. It’s just not 100% CREEPesque lol

I just tried it and think it’s kind of how it is working today. When you come to a full stop with HOLD mode, and when you tap the accelerator pedal, you should be able to “mimic” the CREEP mode a little bit if you don’t floor it. It’s just not 100% CREEPesque lol

I bet Tesla’s reasoning is that all our cars will be driving themselves anyway, “soon,” so why bother? Same reasoning behind no HUD and no blind-spot mirrors etc.

it was on twitter somewhere.

Basically in reference to this one green on Twitter

how do you think the car knows it cannot drive between the cones and such.

AP has been using cones to limit driveable space for quite some time now (spring time?) Which means it see’s them. HW3 will now display them, which tells me they have more confidence in visualizing individual cones AND HW3 will do a lane change to move away from incoming cones. 2.5 will not.

sorry green. You know this. Meant to quote the prior individual asking about this.