Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.2.1 - new HOLD mode and other features

Do you use One Petal Driving?

• Yes

Votes: 690 89.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 0.9%
  • Prefer Roll

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • Prefer Creep

Votes: 47 6.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received the update a short while ago and went for a spin. Power increase is more noticeable to me than the previous upgrade. I feel that pedal mapping may have been tweaked also.

I like the hold feature.

I was hoping that the infotainment system behavior would change when requesting a song. Previously it would just play, now it doesn't. If you only have one option (no Spotify), it should just play automatically from the only source you have available. That's the way it used to work, but a minor gripe in the scheme of things.

So I'm curious: I've read that you need HW3 to get cone visualization... do you actually require HW3, or just the FSD software option to have been purchased? I think the article clearly shows the cones present without AP activated... so the question is, do you actually need HW3, or just FSD?

Attachments

• IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
Just tried the HOLD mode and while it’s “fun” and “interesting”, I doubt it’ll make a real world difference in the car’s efficiency and brake life.

It’s important to note that CREEP and ROLL are acceleration features and HOLD is a deceleration/stopped car feature. That said, is there a reason why this HOLD mode is implemented as an extension of ROLL mode? I’d rather have HOLD as an extension of CREEP. Meaning, engage CREEP mode when car is accelerating from a complete stop, and engage HOLD when car is decelerating, bringing it to a full stop with increased regenerative braking.

Having driven manual transmission cars for most of my life, Creep just isn't for me. I want the car to do only what I ask it to do with the accelerator pedal. No press, no go.

Also, I don't see how a combination of Creep and Hold would work. You are approaching a red light... so you lift off the accelerator and the car comes to a complete stop. Now... how do you get it to creep? Your foot is aready off of both pedals and the car is stopped.

Does your 3 have FSD purchased though? (ie maybe it's because you're only AP, not FSD). Made a separate thread with a detailed poll to try and tease out what exactly is required to get the cones to show up... feel free to vote :)

Having driven manual transmission cars for most of my life, Creep just isn't for me. I want the car to do only what I ask it to do with the accelerator pedal. No press, no go.

Also, I don't see how a combination of Creep and Hold would work. So you are approaching a red light... so you lift off the accelerator and the car comes to a complete stop. Now... how do you get it to creep? Your foot is aready off of both pedals and the car is stopped.

Well, in defense of Creep (yeah yeah, I know) with reference to manual transmissions, if you were parallel parking on any kind of hill, you could ride the brake with the clutch down because at that point gravity is giving you the "Creeping." I know that's how we ALL parked with our manuals.

I think a combination of Hold and Creep would be great - but as you said - it's VERY difficult to implement this without confusion, so the likelihood is this never, ever happens.. This was discussed a bit before this release was even out to Early Access people. But just because we used to drive differently with a manual transmission doesn't make it *better.* Modern system are far, far better/faster/reliable/safer than manuals ever were. That's why manuals are going the way of the dodo. And that's from someone who swore he'd never have a non-manual because they were so crappy/slow/slushy/uncontrollable. Guess what? Times change. So referencing manuals as some sort of god-like interactive method for an automobile is just silly.

Anyhoo. I bet if we did a poll of whether people would like a "Parking Mode" button appearing on the screen, a lot of people would love that.

But, it almost certainly won't happen. So I'm going to continue to use Hold mode because I DO think it's better than Creep in most cases. There are just those dastardly edge cases where it's not, which is a bummer.

I love the new hold mode. It only moved when you command it to.
With creep it moves on its own, with Roll it moves on its own by gravity.
Hold mode moves when you tell it and stops when you don't, much more sensible (for me at least)

Definitely noticed the extra performance.

As an aside, did anyone else feel that the steering in sport mode is a little heavier?

Poll RE: what HW/software combo you need to see traffic cones:

Those cones doe!

Also having this master thread is SUPER confusing because you've got like 7 different conversations happening in the same thread that are very hard to follow... maybe it's ok to have separate threads discussing different parts of the new update?