Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking the sticker should be:
This is not Drunk Driving
This is Full Self-Driving (Beta)

I was driving behind @AlanSubie4Life and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference had I not known! I'm surprised no one has gotten pulled over for suspected DUI.
Or how about...........

I'm not Drunk Driving...........I'm either:
1. On my phone
2. Testing Full Self-Driving (Beta)

• Funny
Reactions: impastu
This is scary; how would one ever feel relaxed knowing that performance at the same intersection, in the same conditions will vary so widely. I'm I reading you can have 10 successful turns, at the same intersection, and then the 11th turn may be into oncoming traffic?! :eek:🤔:oops:
One shouldn't. Hopefully, they can tune the weights so that these obvious blunders don't get chosen as a final path. But as of now, it can do the wrong thing at the worst time.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
Yep. Chuck Cook reported this ages ago. Looks like the little nippers are low on Elon's priority list. Frankly, I've noticed FSD Beta is very adhd about being stopped behind any vehicle. It often tries to pass the cars ahead of me using the right straight through lane when I'm stopped at red left turn lights.
In Tennessee it is legal to pass on the right if the car ahead is turning left or stopped for any reason if there is an improved shoulder (paved) and it can be done safely. I don't know about the traffic laws where you are.

Reactions: impastu and Phlier
The real problem with any signage is it's unlikely vast majority of people know anything about "self-driving".

What do you guys think is a common term a person on the street might know (I was thinking robot driver) ?

@EVNow - It's not really a "robot" driving (see attached), it's more AI driven, or self driving, or Student AI driver.

tesla robot.jpg

Reactions: impastu
In Tennessee it is legal to pass on the right if the car ahead is turning left or stopped for any reason if there is an improved shoulder (paved) and it can be done safely. I don't know about the traffic laws where you are.
Yeah, it's definitely not proper behavior. FSD would have to turn left in front of the other cars on a red arrow. What the hell's it thinking?

@EVNow - It's not really a "robot" driving (see attached), it's more AI driven, or self driving, or Student AI driver.

View attachment 722917
I'm trying to figure out what someone on the street (who probably thinks Prius is the car "liberals" buy) would understand.

A self-driving car, also known as an autonomous vehicle (AV or auto), driverless car, or robotic car (robo-car),[1][2][3] is a vehicle that is capable of sensing its environment and moving safely with little or no human input.[4][5]

The real problem with any signage is it's unlikely vast majority of people know anything about "self-driving".

What do you guys think is a common term a person on the street might know (I was thinking robot driver) ?
I wonder if regulators will require an Uber/Lyft type sign in the front & rear of the car? Now there is no way for anyone to know FSD is driving. When FSD is off then the sign would go off. With Waymo and other companies you can see the camera/radar/lidar equipment and the cars usually have logos on them.

Not recommending this but I could see regulators considering this in the short term until self driving cars are more common.

You mean like this post a page before yours? Go back to it, pictures are shown.

Technically, you say "took off," which may intend to imply "stopped first." So maybe you should refer to this post on the same page:

In this case, since he took over, we don't really know what the vehicle would have done, but waiting to see what the car would do is inherently unsafe and potentially leads to you driving illegally. It's a pre-release beta; it's not (yet?) a driver aid meant to allow you additional relaxation.
I can't find what you are referencing, can you link the post? Thanks!

General consensus from earlier in this thread is you lose radar when you upgrade to the pre-release beta build. No ifs, ands, or buts.
I see, I thought as much. From one perspective, I'm looking forward to vision simply because I've had numerous occasions where autopilot doesn't see cyclists or bushes. On the other hand, I'm worried about having a smooth driving experience on the freeways.

* note that this is not actually a beta of full self-driving software, this is just a tribute. :p

I think "self-driving" is the most common term for a car that drives itself.