Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A fellow TMC member posted this video just a bit ago. Really glad he did. It is so worth watching.

If you do watch it, keep in mind that the interview was 8 years ago. The interviewer is annoying and obnoxious, but Elon's answers made it worth watching.

Just something to bide the time a bit for those who had plans to go drive this morning.

Reactions: EVNow
C'mon, gents...

We have all been on this ride together. The Button was very late, came with an unexpected test which lasted an additional week because the software was a week late, and now it's gonna be even later.

Sure, there's grounds to be a bit disappointed, but acting like Santa didn't bring you your pony is a bit much.

Getting angry over such things might be grounds to re-evaluate your priorities a bit. ;)

I am definitely going to miss my car, though, as there's not a chance I'm going to risk my perfect score. Ah well, at least she's comfortable in the garage for the next two weeks. ;)

I have a 100 score and woke up a few times to see I didn’t have the update. At first I was a bit disappointing but then I made peace with it assuming I would get it in a few days. I’m going to try and just keep that attitude ( and my car parked for the weekend)

Reactions: Nakk
Do they fix the scroll wheel reset hack and give it a few more days.
Good idea.

And fix the "total of 2 miles driven" hack, and not divying back to those who bought first hack? It's hard to be selective on which hacks someone may or may not like if your true interest is safety. Address them all or none.

But as previously stated, the "safety" aspect is for the media and lawyers. Not many think the current criteria has much to do with safety, especially considering other metrics available. I believe this undomesticated water-fowl chase is more about being able to adapt on the fly - whether that being aware enough to only drive 5 miles in a month, or recognizing/performing the reboot on the fly, setting regeneration to low, using AP 99% of the time, and many more.

It might be an interesting discussion to talk about 1) is safety the goal (or partially so), and 2) if so, how should it be setup? I have no doubt we could collectively come up with a better measuring stick than what we have. But we would have to assume on what the goal actually is.

Distributing to those known safe drivers who bought 4+ years ago is only right. But doing the right thing, making factual statements, and giving a 'safety score' anything more than lip service is just beyond both their skill set and their desire, in my opinion.

Clearly they are smart people so it's not a difficult tech challenge so I'd say it's being done exactly the way they have it to meet their unstated goal. And safety, at least safety alone, is not part of that goal.

A couple thoughts here.

I'm not changing my habits. Went out this AM and put another 10 mi on to my 100. Could have taken the 2019 but the MY is more fun. I was concerned about 1 pull out and one cornering but appear to have gotten my 10 miles unscathed. Yeah, want the FSD I paid for over a year ago, but driving is more important than FSD.

Also, and absolutely don't tell anyone this. Tesla claims to be a software/computer company not an auto company. Right? I was a software developer for 40 years. And one of the absolute guild rules that is not to be violated upon pain of being forced to kiss Bill Gates ass (literally) is "thou shall not deliver software/releases on time".

I certainly abided by guild rules and everyone else I knew/worked with did. Some of the rules allow for flexibility a little bending. But not this one.

this delay is still nowhere close as bad as the wait for my Model 3 back in early 2018.. Actually I can't believe that my ancient 3 is about to get FSD capability on it. I remember back then when I tried AP on a local road and it would hop over the double yellow. My car has come a long way.

Reactions: EVNow and TresLA
Ugh it's delayed.

It's annoying enough being delayed, it's even more frustrating that they're still collecting safety scores. I don't want to ruin my 100.
I’m just beginning a long-planned road trip this weekend. If Tesla delays until Monday, the spreadsheet shows that I have a good chance of upgrading from 99 to 💯 on my safety score.

I feel they are definitely making the right decision…

Do they fix the scroll wheel reset hack and give it a few more days.
I’m guessing this can’t be fixed without a software update/version upgrade. But a version upgrade can’t be given to us without giving us FSD beta. So either 1) they just fix the bug for the next batch (i.e. - FSD beta goes to 100’s, 99 and below gets a new version that prevents such bugs), or 2) they annoy us even more by updating everyone with a bug fix and delay even longer because they need to make sure there aren’t cheaters (safety first!)

Got up at 0400... Sigh.

I understand the disappointment, I'm right there with you. But surprised or upset? No. *sugar* happens. This is a big deal and I'd rather Tesla gets it right. I'll be upset if it gets delayed indefinitely after all everyone has gone through to get a 100 score, but c'mon. A few days delay or even another week is not a big deal. With something like this it's kind of expected. As far as the haters posting "deluded" and the like, why the heck are you even on this thread? Just to complain? Maybe just go away, because I know damn well you won't be posting apologies and admitting you were wrong when the release does come out.
Agreed 100%. The answer to your questions is because they’re just trolls. The trolls/haters won’t take back their “it’s not gonna happen”. And if we do get FSD beta in the next couple days, the silly trolling comments and ”fanboy defenders” arguments will fall by the wayside and be forgotten because… we have FSD beta and trolls will find something else to naysay about. They’re really good at forgetting when their predictions happened to be wrong and only highlighting when they happened to guess correctly.

Remember all the naysayers before Model 3 was released in 2017? Then in 2018 how slowly they came out to us 400,000 reservation holders? We probably don’t remember them because we eventually got our Model 3 and it’s too amazing for naysayers to continue ranting, so they move the goalposts by trolling about something else that isn’t perfect or isn’t released yet. They’ll also falsely try to lump everyone into only two groups: either agree with them or you’re a fanboy that believes anything Elon says. It wouldn’t fit the naysayer/troll/hater narrative to have nuance, or for people to disbelieve Elon’s timing predictions for goals but still believe he will eventually deliver on those goals, etc.

Also, not everyone will hate the delay. Some 99 and below Safety Score people are rejoicing because they have a chance to claw their way to 100 before this first FSD beta group.

It might be an interesting discussion to talk about 1) is safety the goal (or partially so), and 2) if so, how should it be setup? I have no doubt we could collectively come up with a better measuring stick than what we have. But we would have to assume on what the goal actually is.
Safety still could be the goal, but as with most things in reality there is more than one goal. E.G. - If safety were the only goal, then one could argue people should be imprisoned in their homes instead of driving on streets at all, and only a select few, highly supervised/regulated/liable drivers deliver whatever goods are necessary while our society develops automated delivery systems. Okay my imagination can go pretty far, but the point is it’s always “safer” to just not drive at all.

But let’s take another for instance where safety is the primary goal: FSD will make the streets safer with less accidents, injuries, and deaths compared to today’s stats (and still allowing people to move/drive from place to place). Releasing early access to thousands of (or 1,200) new customers greatly increases the risk. So create some criteria for the initial releases. First were employees, then FSD was good enough for customers that are YouTubers and some NDA silenced customers to show off to the world while providing more feedback/development progress, and now at this point in time we are the next step. So criteria was setup that they’ve been developing for Tesla insurance anyway, that (imperfectly at first but) helps weed out those are more likely to get into a collision. A collision is a collision, and the press isn’t going to care whether it was because the customer was inattentive, a bad driver, lives/drives in an area with bad drivers, etc. So the criteria is set to not necessary weed out bad drivers, but bad environments too. Why? Because accidents will be bad press, they can negatively affect politicians and the public’s impression of automated driving, and cut the program short (or at least create more obstacles that would delay full FSD rolling out). Think of Uber’s Volvo crash in Arizona and the backlash then that brought that automated driving development to a halt.

In other words, safety can definitely still be the highest priority if that means “get FSD developed and out to customers ASAP”. Doing so entails other lower priority goals, that may necessitate delaying releases, etc.

C'mon, gents...

We have all been on this ride together. The Button was very late, came with an unexpected test which lasted an additional week because the software was a week late, and now it's gonna be even later.

Sure, there's grounds to be a bit disappointed, but acting like Santa didn't bring you your pony is a bit much.

Getting angry over such things might be grounds to re-evaluate your priorities a bit. ;)

I am definitely going to miss my car, though, as there's not a chance I'm going to risk my perfect score. Ah well, at least she's comfortable in the garage for the next two weeks. ;)
@Phlier Wish I could do the same, that is, leave the car in the garage now - Unfortunately, I'm 160 miles away from "my garage" and will have to drive that distance on Sunday, just to get home. If I still have a score of 100 after that drive, I will park the Plaid and just drive the MYP for a week, or however long it takes. Must get home with a 100..... ;)

Reactions: Phlier
A fellow TMC member posted this video just a bit ago. Really glad he did. It is so worth watching.

If you do watch it, keep in mind that the interview was 8 years ago. The interviewer is annoying and obnoxious, but Elon's answers made it worth watching.

Just something to bide the time a bit for those who had plans to go drive this morning.
You don't know who Rainn Wilson is?

Everyone seems to be obsessed with that perfect 100 score, which appears to be nearly impossible in real major city driving what with the antics of lunatic drivers surrounding you jamming their brakes on at the last moment, making quick turns with no turn signal and passing you on the interstate and merging into your lane on car length in front of you. It is what it is people. Don't become obsessed with it. The SS software is pretty ridiculous because it dings you for things you have no power over, or things IT deems as unsafe, when in reality, there is no danger whatsoever. The other day I was driving on the interstate in autopilot when, out of the blue, the car started braking hard and a bright red warning came up on the screen saying "FORWARD COLLISION WARNING" along with the cacophany of the warning beeps. I was in the far right lane, the closest car to me on the left was two lanes over, the closest car to my rear was at least 1/2 mile behind me, there was NO car in front of me for at least 1/2 mile or more as a curve in the interstate was at that distance and I could not see any cars at all. The only conclusion I can come up with is I must have been drunk and didn't see the car in front of me. Although I don't drink, that had to be the logical answer as everything else made no sense. The point is, don't be obsessed with your SS score. So you have a 99, 98, 97, so what? Perhaps you'll get the software a few days later than those that have 100? Perhaps a week? What's a week compared to the years that you have already been waiting for the software?

So why are you even here? You've not posted one helpful thing--ever. You do nothing but complain. While some of your complaints are valid, others are just obnoxious and whining. I have very few "ignores" on my list, welcome to the club.
You can always tell when someone is desperate to feel powerful when they tell you they’re blocking you. Hope you get that reward promised to you by the universe for your feigned maturity one of these days, buddy.

Last edited:
I was a software developer for 40 years. And one of the absolute guild rules that is not to be violated upon pain of being forced to kiss Bill Gates ass (literally) is "thou shall not deliver software/releases on time".
No, it's not. Not delivering on time when you're schedule driven is a sign of failure. And you have weird rituals.

I've "only" been in the industry 25+ years though, so maybe it was different before your retired.

I'm going to go out on a limb and forecast that not everyone with a 100 score will get the beta release - because, by the time the release is ready, there will be more owners with 100 scores than Tesla wants to admit into the program in the first wave. So, I suggest another "rules change" (announced beforehand or not) before the software is actually released. There you have it, my unsolicited prediction!

No, it's not. Not delivering on time when you're schedule driven is a sign of failure. And you have weird rituals.

I've "only" been in the industry 25+ years though, so maybe it was different before your retired.
Yes, must have been different in the old days.

Delays in sprints are very uncommon. The idea is to deliver the features that are ready.

But CNN is a different beast. If there are bad regressions, you need to debug and rebuild.