Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is a duplicate, but at 379 pages, I confess to not reading every one.

Anyway, freeway merging in 11.3.2 and 11.3.3 needs work.
  1. It uses the full length of the onramp and merge lane before actually entering the first traffic lane. It waits until the right line finally slants in, and seems to follow it almost precisely, which is actually a rather abrupt lane change. It does so even when the first lane is clear.
  2. It doesn't signal to show the intention to merge. So it's rude.
  3. If I signal while waiting for it to enter the traffic lane (because I want to be polite to my fellow travelers), it still merges as described above, and then executes a change to the second travel lane. That is, it seems to "store" my signaling as a command to change to the left, but doesn't consider it until after the merge is complete. (fixing 2 would make this null.)
  4. On some--not all--merges it comes down the onramp quite slow, like 35mph, even on a straight (non-clover leaf) ramp, then suddenly notices the speed limit is 65 and zooms ahead.
Good post.

I can confirm that most of the above seems to apply to 13.3.4.

The 2nd lane change (due to manually signaling) is quite disconcerting because most people don't expect it and it seems like the car is loosing control. It caused me to disengage until I figured out what it was "thinking."

This seems like something that should be addressed ASAP by Tesla. Perhaps someone can Tweet Elon or something ☑️

All right. After a long day of doing some required writing, swapping the snow blower for a lawn mower (and fixing the air filter and carb on the latter), getting the dishes done and, finally, reading through the relevant threads on TMC, it was time: Take the 2018 M3 LR RWD out for a serious test with 11.3.4 FSDb.

For those of you who don't know, I live in Central New Jersey, one of the most congested locales in the U.S. And, while it's not quite the, "We let drunken cows lay out our roads!" that Boston has, it very definitely has its moments. It's generally hilly. If one is going East<->West or NE<->SW, there are tons of Big Roads running West out of NYC or up and down the coast. Interstates, roads that are basically rural with or without markings, suburbia deluxe, and lots and lots of traffic. We may not be pulling 85 mph like you people out in Texas, but, man, we got variety.

And my commute to work is One Of Those. On a standard commute, which I ran back and forth this afternoon/evening, there's two different interstates, four lane local roads, two laners, red lights, stop signs, things that look like cloverleafs but pre-date them, and so on. I'm a-telling you guys: Back in May of 2022, I'd easily do 20 interventions on a 15 mile trip, sometimes 30, and it'd be a rarity to get down to 5. As I've said before, 70% of those were just keeping other drivers from throwing rocks; but 20%-25% were dangerous and could have resulted in bent metal; of the remainder, some 7.5% to 5%, there were real hazards: The car attempting to merge into another car in the lane to the left; or this one intersection where it persistently, about 20% of the time going through that intersection (controlled with a stop light), the car would attempt, after a stop, to run the light with heavy traffic moving back and forth. Whee. Not to mention going over a hill on an unmarked two-lane road, with the car hugging the middle of the road. Not to mention swing-wide on right to do a left, darn near hitting the curb each time. Ugh.

By the time 10.69 and its variants had come by the number of interventions had dropped dramatically, from that 30 per 15/20 mile trip to around 5; and about 1/6th of the time, miracles would occur: The car would make it to work or back without interventions. It still took white knuckles on the steering wheel because, just like the Release Notes say: "The car will do the worst thing at the wrong time."

So, here's 11.3.4. They've merged the highway and local road set. A few trips around the neighborhood have been relatively short and on, well, "easy" routes. Today was my chance to give it the full monty. I will admit that, at the time of day I was traveling, it wasn't quite the full craziness of rush hour; about 75% of that, in terms of traffic density, so YMMV.
  1. Leaving the house, right into FSD-b. Left the development and hung a right, sans problems. Another car coming into the lane of the development appeared and made the car stop short while it tried to figure out where the interloper was going; once that car had turned in, the car picked up and ran. A human would have noticed the turn signal on the approaching car, made eye contact, and would have left sooner; but FSD-b isn't that good, or doesn't trust turn signals (not a bad idea), but probably can't read other driver's facial expressions.
  2. First big test: Route 1 South Bound. Yes, that Route 1. Six lanes of heavy traffic, three in each direction, 50 mph, with $RANDOM stoplights, but no lights at the end of my street, so it's an Unprotected Right, and a nasty one. There was a 1/4 mile gap.. and the car took it, accelerated heavily, and moved right onto the on-ramp of the interstate coming up.
  3. Absolutely no problems merging. It did run to the end of the on-ramp area, yes, but there was no traffic to the left anyway.
  4. Car shifted smoothly and cleanly from the far right to the far left of this multilane road, picking up speed as it went. Very human like, no jerks. An important point: It Felt Safe.
  5. Off-ramp approaching.. and, now for something odd. More on this in a bit. Was in the middle lane, traffic on the right, with about a mile to go, with somewhat slower moving traffic on the righ. The exit was getting closer.. but the car wasn't slowing down and moving right into a gap. It felt like it was looking for a opening.. didn't find one, then slid right, smoothly, with about 0.3 miles to go at 65 mph. As I've remarked before, the move onto the off-ramp lane was a heck of a lot smoother than anything I've seen on FSD-b before.
  6. Off ramp splits; left lane goes to a traffic light for left turn only; right lane to a yield. At the split, the car jerked the wheel once or twice, then slowly moved into the right lane where I was going; that was awkward, but it did make it. There was a line of five or six cars getting off, with each driver swiving ye head to check for on-coming. The car kept moving up and Not Stopping (something that 10.69.xx did a lot) and, when it was its turn - went for it, smoothly, and accelerated down the right of two lanes. This Is New. 10.69.XX almost always needed an intervention here.
  7. Route went right at the second light, which has a right-on-red lane. The light was red for the straight-ahead; FSD-b couldn't figure that it could continue, without crossing traffic, so had to goose it. Call it one intervention. 10.69.xx never got this intersection right without a goose, either.
  8. Road forks up ahead, just after crossing railroad tracks. Early FSD-b would go off into never-never land here; 10.69.xx could make the turn, but it always jerked like crazy. 11.3.4 drove through it just like I would, smoothly, somehow noting that cars coming the other way on the other fork didn't have the right of way.
  9. Two lanes. Several hundred yards ahead, there's a traffic light and the left lane, which the car was in, turns magically into a left-turn-only lane. 10.69.x.x and earlier never got this right. So, getting closer, getting closer.. Lane stripes go from normal to those little dotted guys, car still isn't getting over, oh, well, hit the right turn signal. Over it went and kept on going.
  10. A few miles up and the route has an unprotected left turn onto a Very Local Road. The lane the car is in is a relatively wide one; before, on any FSD-b, the car would swing wide right, nearly hit the curb, then approach the turn at a pretty good angle before crossing the center line. With 11.3.4, that didn't happen. I would say that the car was a little shifted towards the center line, but not much; but, seeing as the way was clear, did a smooth left into the bitty local road without a jerk in sight. This Is New. Well, the release notes said they did something about getting rid of the swinging: It's not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than it was.
  11. Two-way stop (i.e., the road being crossed had the right of way, the road that the car is on has stop signs.). Interesting: I was half-expecting to see that blue line get cast ahead on the screen, with the car sneaking up on it; there was none of that. Yes, the car stopped. But then it slowly went forward, without that blue line, and pulled into the right it was making and went for it. Still slower than I would have done it, but faster than I've seen it.
  12. The Stop Light of Doom. Yes, I was first in line and had white knuckles: This is where FSD-b had been in the habit of trying to run the red from a full halt. Nope, didn't do it, and didn't show any signs of thinking about moving, which, on previous FSD-b releases, it had. Hope this sticks; if it did, the Tesla people swatted a bug.
  13. Local road city for the next four miles; two lanes with the occasional traffic light, speed limits varying from 25 to 35 to 25 to 45. No real problems, but had an oddity: The driver in front of me was going the speed limit or less and was hugging the right side of the road. Had it been me driving, I probably would have passed the guy or got real frustrated or something. But there was oncoming traffic and Not Quite Enough Room. FSD-b on 11.3.4 had that thick blue line going ahead and I was seriously wondering if it was going to make a move or not. It never did. After a few miles of this (and a couple of towns) the errant driver clearly found the address being looked for, pulled over, and parked. The car picked up speed and continued.
  14. First real intervention: One lane forward splits to two lanes forward, in preparation for a large controlled intersection a couple blocks up. Just before the official split with Real Painted Lanes, the road was plenty wide, and there was a driver trying for a UPL with opposing traffic. There was plenty of room to go around to the right, but FSD-b was having none of it and wanted to stop behind the driver. Jerked the wheel, got the prompt, and let Tesla know. It's not exactly a full intervention; if I had waited, the car ahead would have turned and FSD-b would have continued, safely. But, still.
  15. At the major controlled intersection (two lanes left, one lane straight, and one lane right, all onto a four-laner with Jersey Barriers and 50 mph traffic), FSD-b successfully pulled off a right on red. Cool. Not something that 10.69.xx could be counted upon to do.
  16. So, the car is definitely weaving back and forth, passing other slower traffic, and what all. At one point the road expands and gains a lane on the right. Almost immediately, FSD-b dives into that lane, plays stop-and-go with cars turning right, and, at the correct intersection, smoothly turns right (without jerking!) into the correct road, then pulls another sharp right onto an on-ramp for an overpass. And then slows rapidly to a halt - there's another car coming onto the on-ramp from another direction, and that car has the right-of-way. The car then picks up speed, follows its nose over the bridge, and then smoothly gets into the left of two lanes. I've tried this before on 10.69.x.x; it works.. kind of.. but 11.3.4 is loads better.
  17. A long uphill drive to a traffic circle. At the circle.. there's no on-coming traffic, so FSD-b smoothly pulls into its lane and takes the first exit, no halting, jumping, or going nuts. Pulls into the right lane on the circle exit and executes an unprotected left up the hill, smoothly. Huh. There's been a lot of complaints about traffic circles around here. Didn't have trouble with this one, at all.
  18. Long run up and over a small mountain and crossed a bridge over an interstate. On the far side of the bridge, on the right, there's an off-ramp from the interstate to a stop sign, no light. There's four or five motorcyclists with funny-looking helmets (wings, etc.) on. They're in the road there, about 25 feet short of the intersection, chatting, apparently, and two of them but their bikes in gear and zip up to the road that the car is approaching upon and stop. FSD-b really didn't like that sudden motion and came to a near halt. They were halted and saw me, so gassed it and went through.
  19. Next is a fun intersection: Five roads come together at odd angles; all of them have large stop signs on the right of each incoming road that are lit up like Christmas with red flashing lights around each sign's periphery. To top it all off, there's this conglomeration of lights hanging in the center of the intersection that display two horizontally organized lights in each road's direction that are alternating "RED!" back and forth. It all just means, "Stop. Then go if it's clear.", but whoever it was that sold red lights made a mint on the place. The car's task was to turn right. I was pretty much expecting 11.3.4, given the maniac display, to freeze and melt in place. Heck, people freeze and melt when they see this display. Instead, the car threw up one of its cutesy blue barriers, crept up a bit, and went for it, no trouble, and a minimal wait at that.
The trip back was pretty good. But, this time, I caught FSD-b doing something new and unexpected.

So, on an interstate, middle lane, 70 mph. There's another interstate coming up that the car needs to get into the right lane for. The car's going somewhat faster than the cars to the immediate right, but I'm getting nervous: There's only about 0.5 miles or so left. There's a car in front of me, but up a bit, and also moving faster than the traffic on the right. I happen to glance at the display which, of course, is showing all the cars around one. And spot something odd: There's a car on the right up forty yards or so that's highlighted in blue. Another quick glance and there's a car in front of the highlighted one that's also highlighted in blue.. and there's a big enough gap for the Tesla to safely fit between them. You can guess what happened next: The car in front of me kept on moving up, the Tesla kept moving up, and, just before hitting the major offramp to the right, the Tesla pulled right smoothly into the gap. And off we all went onto the off ramp, no muss, no fuss.

This is something new and different. FSD-b was looking at all the traffic, all the time, knew it wanted to move over a lane. And solved a computer problem on how it was going to do that, and executed same. Frankly, I'm not sure I would have spotted the opening. And if the car in front of me had slowed a bit, said opening would have disappeared. It's for reasons like this that, at this intersection, I usually get into the far right lane much earlier. But, still.

Another comment.

As @AlanSubie4Life pointed out a month or so ago, FSD-b's braking performance had left something to be desired, especially when slowing down from high speeds to a halt. The car would brake hard; come off the brakes; brake hard again; and so on, oscillating the braking action as a function of time as it slowed down. People sometimes do that, but they try not to. As a part-time controls guy, this looked to me like some underdamped control circuit and, well, it wasn't comfortable.

I was looking for that today on 11.3.4 on those high-speed roads with lights. Maybe I'm just lucky, but that oscillatory action seems to be gone. Yes, the car will modulate its braking action when coming to a halt, but this seems more related to the movement (or lack thereof) of the cars in front of one. Comments, @AlanSubie4Life?

Conclusions: 11.3.4 is a large step-up in performance on both local and highways. There are still some rough edges.. but a lot of the major problems that I had been seeing, daily, seem to have melted away, leaving a much smaller subset. There still seem to be some issues about picking the correct lane; but on the trips to and fro today, these seem to be reduced as well.

Finally: Some time back I noted that the release notes keep on saying things like, "30% reduction in this-or-that errors" and so on. Which is kind of scary when one is trying for 9 9's competence (i.e., much better than human) driving. It's not like one can't get there at 30% a step, but it takes a heck of a lot of steps at that rate.

But we're not talking hardware with only fixed improvements: There can be complete architectural re-writes of software algorithms that can just, well, wipe out whole classes of errors in a fell swoop. 11.3.4 appears to be one of those. Yes, there are regressions. Yes, it's making errors that 10.69.x.x made. But there's just something about this platform that seems.. different, and in a good way.

We'll see. I'm really looking forward to 12. And 11.3.4 looks to be enough of an improvement that I'm going to be using it, a lot, going forward.

All right. After a long day of doing some required writing, swapping the snow blower for a lawn mower (and fixing the air filter and carb on the latter), getting the dishes done and, finally, reading through the relevant threads on TMC, it was time: Take the 2018 M3 LR RWD out for a serious test with 11.3.4 FSDb.

For those of you who don't know, I live in Central New Jersey, one of the most congested locales in the U.S. And, while it's not quite the, "We let drunken cows lay out our roads!" that Boston has, it very definitely has its moments. It's generally hilly. If one is going East<->West or NE<->SW, there are tons of Big Roads running West out of NYC or up and down the coast. Interstates, roads that are basically rural with or without markings, suburbia deluxe, and lots and lots of traffic. We may not be pulling 85 mph like you people out in Texas, but, man, we got variety.

And my commute to work is One Of Those. On a standard commute, which I ran back and forth this afternoon/evening, there's two different interstates, four lane local roads, two laners, red lights, stop signs, things that look like cloverleafs but pre-date them, and so on. I'm a-telling you guys: Back in May of 2022, I'd easily do 20 interventions on a 15 mile trip, sometimes 30, and it'd be a rarity to get down to 5. As I've said before, 70% of those were just keeping other drivers from throwing rocks; but 20%-25% were dangerous and could have resulted in bent metal; of the remainder, some 7.5% to 5%, there were real hazards: The car attempting to merge into another car in the lane to the left; or this one intersection where it persistently, about 20% of the time going through that intersection (controlled with a stop light), the car would attempt, after a stop, to run the light with heavy traffic moving back and forth. Whee. Not to mention going over a hill on an unmarked two-lane road, with the car hugging the middle of the road. Not to mention swing-wide on right to do a left, darn near hitting the curb each time. Ugh.

By the time 10.69 and its variants had come by the number of interventions had dropped dramatically, from that 30 per 15/20 mile trip to around 5; and about 1/6th of the time, miracles would occur: The car would make it to work or back without interventions. It still took white knuckles on the steering wheel because, just like the Release Notes say: "The car will do the worst thing at the wrong time."

So, here's 11.3.4. They've merged the highway and local road set. A few trips around the neighborhood have been relatively short and on, well, "easy" routes. Today was my chance to give it the full monty. I will admit that, at the time of day I was traveling, it wasn't quite the full craziness of rush hour; about 75% of that, in terms of traffic density, so YMMV.
  1. Leaving the house, right into FSD-b. Left the development and hung a right, sans problems. Another car coming into the lane of the development appeared and made the car stop short while it tried to figure out where the interloper was going; once that car had turned in, the car picked up and ran. A human would have noticed the turn signal on the approaching car, made eye contact, and would have left sooner; but FSD-b isn't that good, or doesn't trust turn signals (not a bad idea), but probably can't read other driver's facial expressions.
  2. First big test: Route 1 South Bound. Yes, that Route 1. Six lanes of heavy traffic, three in each direction, 50 mph, with $RANDOM stoplights, but no lights at the end of my street, so it's an Unprotected Right, and a nasty one. There was a 1/4 mile gap.. and the car took it, accelerated heavily, and moved right onto the on-ramp of the interstate coming up.
  3. Absolutely no problems merging. It did run to the end of the on-ramp area, yes, but there was no traffic to the left anyway.
  4. Car shifted smoothly and cleanly from the far right to the far left of this multilane road, picking up speed as it went. Very human like, no jerks. An important point: It Felt Safe.
  5. Off-ramp approaching.. and, now for something odd. More on this in a bit. Was in the middle lane, traffic on the right, with about a mile to go, with somewhat slower moving traffic on the righ. The exit was getting closer.. but the car wasn't slowing down and moving right into a gap. It felt like it was looking for a opening.. didn't find one, then slid right, smoothly, with about 0.3 miles to go at 65 mph. As I've remarked before, the move onto the off-ramp lane was a heck of a lot smoother than anything I've seen on FSD-b before.
  6. Off ramp splits; left lane goes to a traffic light for left turn only; right lane to a yield. At the split, the car jerked the wheel once or twice, then slowly moved into the right lane where I was going; that was awkward, but it did make it. There was a line of five or six cars getting off, with each driver swiving ye head to check for on-coming. The car kept moving up and Not Stopping (something that 10.69.xx did a lot) and, when it was its turn - went for it, smoothly, and accelerated down the right of two lanes. This Is New. 10.69.XX almost always needed an intervention here.
  7. Route went right at the second light, which has a right-on-red lane. The light was red for the straight-ahead; FSD-b couldn't figure that it could continue, without crossing traffic, so had to goose it. Call it one intervention. 10.69.xx never got this intersection right without a goose, either.
  8. Road forks up ahead, just after crossing railroad tracks. Early FSD-b would go off into never-never land here; 10.69.xx could make the turn, but it always jerked like crazy. 11.3.4 drove through it just like I would, smoothly, somehow noting that cars coming the other way on the other fork didn't have the right of way.
  9. Two lanes. Several hundred yards ahead, there's a traffic light and the left lane, which the car was in, turns magically into a left-turn-only lane. 10.69.x.x and earlier never got this right. So, getting closer, getting closer.. Lane stripes go from normal to those little dotted guys, car still isn't getting over, oh, well, hit the right turn signal. Over it went and kept on going.
  10. A few miles up and the route has an unprotected left turn onto a Very Local Road. The lane the car is in is a relatively wide one; before, on any FSD-b, the car would swing wide right, nearly hit the curb, then approach the turn at a pretty good angle before crossing the center line. With 11.3.4, that didn't happen. I would say that the car was a little shifted towards the center line, but not much; but, seeing as the way was clear, did a smooth left into the bitty local road without a jerk in sight. This Is New. Well, the release notes said they did something about getting rid of the swinging: It's not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than it was.
  11. Two-way stop (i.e., the road being crossed had the right of way, the road that the car is on has stop signs.). Interesting: I was half-expecting to see that blue line get cast ahead on the screen, with the car sneaking up on it; there was none of that. Yes, the car stopped. But then it slowly went forward, without that blue line, and pulled into the right it was making and went for it. Still slower than I would have done it, but faster than I've seen it.
  12. The Stop Light of Doom. Yes, I was first in line and had white knuckles: This is where FSD-b had been in the habit of trying to run the red from a full halt. Nope, didn't do it, and didn't show any signs of thinking about moving, which, on previous FSD-b releases, it had. Hope this sticks; if it did, the Tesla people swatted a bug.
  13. Local road city for the next four miles; two lanes with the occasional traffic light, speed limits varying from 25 to 35 to 25 to 45. No real problems, but had an oddity: The driver in front of me was going the speed limit or less and was hugging the right side of the road. Had it been me driving, I probably would have passed the guy or got real frustrated or something. But there was oncoming traffic and Not Quite Enough Room. FSD-b on 11.3.4 had that thick blue line going ahead and I was seriously wondering if it was going to make a move or not. It never did. After a few miles of this (and a couple of towns) the errant driver clearly found the address being looked for, pulled over, and parked. The car picked up speed and continued.
  14. First real intervention: One lane forward splits to two lanes forward, in preparation for a large controlled intersection a couple blocks up. Just before the official split with Real Painted Lanes, the road was plenty wide, and there was a driver trying for a UPL with opposing traffic. There was plenty of room to go around to the right, but FSD-b was having none of it and wanted to stop behind the driver. Jerked the wheel, got the prompt, and let Tesla know. It's not exactly a full intervention; if I had waited, the car ahead would have turned and FSD-b would have continued, safely. But, still.
  15. At the major controlled intersection (two lanes left, one lane straight, and one lane right, all onto a four-laner with Jersey Barriers and 50 mph traffic), FSD-b successfully pulled off a right on red. Cool. Not something that 10.69.xx could be counted upon to do.
  16. So, the car is definitely weaving back and forth, passing other slower traffic, and what all. At one point the road expands and gains a lane on the right. Almost immediately, FSD-b dives into that lane, plays stop-and-go with cars turning right, and, at the correct intersection, smoothly turns right (without jerking!) into the correct road, then pulls another sharp right onto an on-ramp for an overpass. And then slows rapidly to a halt - there's another car coming onto the on-ramp from another direction, and that car has the right-of-way. The car then picks up speed, follows its nose over the bridge, and then smoothly gets into the left of two lanes. I've tried this before on 10.69.x.x; it works.. kind of.. but 11.3.4 is loads better.
  17. A long uphill drive to a traffic circle. At the circle.. there's no on-coming traffic, so FSD-b smoothly pulls into its lane and takes the first exit, no halting, jumping, or going nuts. Pulls into the right lane on the circle exit and executes an unprotected left up the hill, smoothly. Huh. There's been a lot of complaints about traffic circles around here. Didn't have trouble with this one, at all.
  18. Long run up and over a small mountain and crossed a bridge over an interstate. On the far side of the bridge, on the right, there's an off-ramp from the interstate to a stop sign, no light. There's four or five motorcyclists with funny-looking helmets (wings, etc.) on. They're in the road there, about 25 feet short of the intersection, chatting, apparently, and two of them but their bikes in gear and zip up to the road that the car is approaching upon and stop. FSD-b really didn't like that sudden motion and came to a near halt. They were halted and saw me, so gassed it and went through.
  19. Next is a fun intersection: Five roads come together at odd angles; all of them have large stop signs on the right of each incoming road that are lit up like Christmas with red flashing lights around each sign's periphery. To top it all off, there's this conglomeration of lights hanging in the center of the intersection that display two horizontally organized lights in each road's direction that are alternating "RED!" back and forth. It all just means, "Stop. Then go if it's clear.", but whoever it was that sold red lights made a mint on the place. The car's task was to turn right. I was pretty much expecting 11.3.4, given the maniac display, to freeze and melt in place. Heck, people freeze and melt when they see this display. Instead, the car threw up one of its cutesy blue barriers, crept up a bit, and went for it, no trouble, and a minimal wait at that.
The trip back was pretty good. But, this time, I caught FSD-b doing something new and unexpected.

So, on an interstate, middle lane, 70 mph. There's another interstate coming up that the car needs to get into the right lane for. The car's going somewhat faster than the cars to the immediate right, but I'm getting nervous: There's only about 0.5 miles or so left. There's a car in front of me, but up a bit, and also moving faster than the traffic on the right. I happen to glance at the display which, of course, is showing all the cars around one. And spot something odd: There's a car on the right up forty yards or so that's highlighted in blue. Another quick glance and there's a car in front of the highlighted one that's also highlighted in blue.. and there's a big enough gap for the Tesla to safely fit between them. You can guess what happened next: The car in front of me kept on moving up, the Tesla kept moving up, and, just before hitting the major offramp to the right, the Tesla pulled right smoothly into the gap. And off we all went onto the off ramp, no muss, no fuss.

This is something new and different. FSD-b was looking at all the traffic, all the time, knew it wanted to move over a lane. And solved a computer problem on how it was going to do that, and executed same. Frankly, I'm not sure I would have spotted the opening. And if the car in front of me had slowed a bit, said opening would have disappeared. It's for reasons like this that, at this intersection, I usually get into the far right lane much earlier. But, still.

Another comment.

As @AlanSubie4Life pointed out a month or so ago, FSD-b's braking performance had left something to be desired, especially when slowing down from high speeds to a halt. The car would brake hard; come off the brakes; brake hard again; and so on, oscillating the braking action as a function of time as it slowed down. People sometimes do that, but they try not to. As a part-time controls guy, this looked to me like some underdamped control circuit and, well, it wasn't comfortable.

I was looking for that today on 11.3.4 on those high-speed roads with lights. Maybe I'm just lucky, but that oscillatory action seems to be gone. Yes, the car will modulate its braking action when coming to a halt, but this seems more related to the movement (or lack thereof) of the cars in front of one. Comments, @AlanSubie4Life?

Conclusions: 11.3.4 is a large step-up in performance on both local and highways. There are still some rough edges.. but a lot of the major problems that I had been seeing, daily, seem to have melted away, leaving a much smaller subset. There still seem to be some issues about picking the correct lane; but on the trips to and fro today, these seem to be reduced as well.

Finally: Some time back I noted that the release notes keep on saying things like, "30% reduction in this-or-that errors" and so on. Which is kind of scary when one is trying for 9 9's competence (i.e., much better than human) driving. It's not like one can't get there at 30% a step, but it takes a heck of a lot of steps at that rate.

But we're not talking hardware with only fixed improvements: There can be complete architectural re-writes of software algorithms that can just, well, wipe out whole classes of errors in a fell swoop. 11.3.4 appears to be one of those. Yes, there are regressions. Yes, it's making errors that 10.69.x.x made. But there's just something about this platform that seems.. different, and in a good way.

We'll see. I'm really looking forward to 12. And 11.3.4 looks to be enough of an improvement that I'm going to be using it, a lot, going forward.
You cracked me up! That was hilarious 😂... you should stop whatever you do for a living and write parody. I have never read every word of such a long post before, but you held my attention. Great memory recall in all those fine details from 1 drive.
Well worth the read to whomever didn't follow every word. One of the most detailed and funny posts ever. Keep it up if you have the time!
I had 2 bookmarked posts before that one, now 3..

Last edited:

It’s real bad. Worse than previous version (where it was definitely not gone). Plenty of video which I probably won’t post but we’ll see.

The sooner they can fix this awful problem the better. It the worst thing about FSD beta, and the #1 issue preventing consistent and generally pleasant use by any user, as everyone who has used the system is likely very well aware.

Other observations:
1) Wide streets still broken. Cannot just drive next to the double yellow line.
As mentioned in other places freeway seem better and some situations with markings prior to merges and forks/branches are better interpreted. But unmarked wider lanes on surface streets just mystify it and the car starts wandering. Not sure what is so difficult; familiar refrain with this problem!
2) Can’t handle flashing red traffic lights. Just stops. This is fine of course.
3) No support for significant cones. This is fine too of course.
4) Better at freeway exits by progressive step down speed limits but this is a problem on on-ramps where it is slower than it needs to be (as the limit steps up, presumably).
5) Not sure how they released something that does not signal when entering the freeway. Very odd along with the other behavior others have mentioned (fortunately in California our merges are smooth so no issues with running out of lane suddenly in most cases).

Last edited:
I tried GPT4 and it wants to know the local school district's calendar...

View attachment 924596
So, IIRC, summer in the northern hemisphere happens at the same time as winter in the southern hemisphere. So... Are you telling me GPT4 spies enough to tell you are in the northern hemisphere, but not enough to guesstimate your school district, or are you telling me it is as poorly educated as the average American?

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
So, IIRC, summer in the northern hemisphere happens at the same time as winter in the southern hemisphere. So... Are you telling me GPT4 spies enough to tell you are in the northern hemisphere, but not enough to guesstimate your school district, or are you telling me it is as poorly educated as the average American?

Before even worrying about school calendars, I would have hoped it would realize that Aug 20th is a Sunday, and therefore unlikely to be a school day regardless.

Not sure. Was heading down the on ramp and it didn’t signal, so I did. 1000’ later it enters the right lane at the very end of the ramp and then continues another lane to the left (passing lane).
It changed lanes because you signaled & told it to change lanes.
This is perhaps the result of a design that uses the same input (driver selects turn signal) for two possible commands (either turn on the turn signals, or command a lane change). If autopilot (or FSD) is engaged, there is no way to "help" the system by compensating for its non-use of turn signals without also commanding a lane change.

The situation would be improved somewhat if Tesla would have FSD use turn signals earlier, so there was no need for the driver to compensate by commanding the turn signal. As it is now, it often selects the turn signal much later than I consider appropriate to alert other drivers of the intentions.
Yes, this is still a major issue in 11.3.3. I end up turning on the turn signal all the time for upcoming turns because the car isn't signalling & I'd rather not get rear ended by the tailgaters when FSD Beta starts aggressively braking with no turn signal.
Anyone know if/how this works on legacy MS/MX? Doesn't seem it would be the right scroll wheel as that currently adjusts fan speed.
Use the old follow distance twist of the stalk to change the FSD Beta setting.

11.3.3 still also fails miserably on unmarked roads. There's an unmarked parkway near my parents' house where all versions of FSD Beta going back to the early days want to drive on the wrong side of the road. The car doesn't just drive in the center of the two-lane unmarked road, it goes all the way to the left side of the road. Then when it sees an oncoming car it slams on the brakes but doesn't move far enough right to let another car pass. I always end up disengaging. Sometimes with no oncoming traffic I'll disengage to pull it back to its side of the road. Upon reactivating FSD Beta it starts moving left again every time.

It changed lanes because you signaled & told it to change lanes.
Arguably, he told it to switch out of the ramp "lane" and into the rightmost lane. It is changing 2 lanes when he told it to change one, and that experience is new with v11 based on my experience. The fact that FSD won't signal nearly as early as it should is irritating, but the fact tha it acts like your input to make it signal because it has failed to is outrageous.
11.3.3 still also fails miserably on unmarked roads. There's an unmarked parkway near my parents' house where all versions of FSD Beta going back to the early days want to drive on the wrong side of the road. The car doesn't just drive in the center of the two-lane unmarked road, it goes all the way to the left side of the road. Then when it sees an oncoming car it slams on the brakes but doesn't move far enough right to let another car pass. I always end up disengaging. Sometimes with no oncoming traffic I'll disengage to pull it back to its side of the road. Upon reactivating FSD Beta it starts moving left again every time.
This is clearly a YMMV thing, as I am seeing massive improvement on narrow roads, both marked and unmarked. It actually stays on its side of the road for me and even draws double-yellow center lines in the IC where there are none on the road. My experience in this regard has been consistent since 11.3.2 across 3 very different roads I traverse daily as well as some roads I encounter far less frequently.

Thanks for all the effort in testing the beta and documenting your results! That's far more effort that I put into it. (thanks to all others sharing as well)

Based on my limited experience with 11.3.4 so far I think our experiences are about in line. Sure there are still mistakes, but something does just seem smoother or more natural about it in a lot of ways.

Arguably, he told it to switch out of the ramp "lane" and into the rightmost lane. It is changing 2 lanes when he told it to change one, and that experience is new with v11 based on my experience. The fact that FSD won't signal nearly as early as it should is irritating, but the fact tha it acts like your input to make it signal because it has failed to is outrageous.

This is clearly a YMMV thing, as I am seeing massive improvement on narrow roads, both marked and unmarked. It actually stays on its side of the road for me and even draws double-yellow center lines in the IC where there are none on the road. My experience in this regard has been consistent since 11.3.2 across 3 very different roads I traverse daily as well as some roads I encounter far less frequently.
I'm not saying it's correct. I'm just explaining what it does. I've found the exact same thing when I turn on the turn signal because it fails to use it for a merge. I'm glad you've seen improvement on unmarked roads. Hopefully we will too.

Has anyone had it try to run a red light? I was on an empty 4 lane major street approaching a traffic light that had a green right turn and red straight and was in one of the straight lanes. The car misinterpreted the green arrow right as a green straight by the animation and was going to run the light without me jamming on the breaks at the last moment. I havent seen this on previous versions of FSD

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Has anyone had it try to run a red light? I was on an empty 4 lane major street approaching a traffic light that had a green right turn and red straight and was in one of the straight lanes. The car misinterpreted the green arrow right as a green straight by the animation and was going to run the light without me jamming on the breaks at the last moment. I havent seen this on previous versions of FSD
Not so far on V11, but on prior versions I have.

I've seen this improvement (from 10.69 to 11.3.4) for some narrow unmarked roads as well, as long as they're not /too/ narrow. It no longer brakes or dodges for oncoming normal traffic going the opposite way, and does seem to draw a virtual double-yellow in the middle more-consistently.

However, I also have some even more-problematic narrow roads around here. They're /very/ narrow (arguably, too narrow for safe two-way traffic, but they are two-way), and they're residential (full of driveways), and the neighborhood has standardized on putting giant brick mailboxes at the end of every driveway, right on the edge of the too-narrow pavement. Human-piloted cars navigate these roads fine, but there's some negotiating that happens. What humans adopt here is driving only slightly right-of-center as a default, and then moving themselves way to the right (as close as they can without dropping a wheel or hitting a mailbox) when passing oncoming traffic, sometimes slowing a little if the mailboxes align really poorly with the passing area. FSDb mostly adopts the same strategy, but with more tendency to slow than a human (which is fine).

What's awful is that it plays chicken and waits until the last possible moment to dodge to the right. Humans tend to move right much earlier, because it communicates to the other driver that you're sharing the road and not gonna run them off into a ditch or mailbox. While FSDb consistently and safely dodges the other cars in the physics sense, from a human perspective it's driving like an ass, trying to scare the other driver and dodge them at the last possible second. Even on the rare occasion I've allowed that to play out, it also cuts back to the center too quickly afterwards as well. Not quickly enough to hit them, but quickly enough that they'll notice the motion before your car is out of their peripheral vision, which can again scare them into thinking they're going to be hit.

Reactions: khorton and Andy O
Welp, after 19 months in the beta program they’ve finally done it, they finally got me to turn off FSDb.

V11 is awful and almost entirely because I can’t disable lane changes on the freeway.

I never realized how much I’ve been automatically working around Tesla’s garbage map data in the background of my daily driving. For instance, on my commute, it wants me to get off at an exit, turn around, and get back on the freeway again. Every day. Every time.

I’ve just been turning off NoA while I drive past that exit so the car can figure out that we’re staying on the freeway but now that’s not an option and FSDb is aggressive at trying to make the route happen. One blink and it starts shooting across the freeway to take an erroneous exit.

Turns out there’s a lot of these little quirks I’ve been subconsciously working around for the last several years and now that’s not an option.

Much like the auto wipers and the auto headlights and the auto seat heaters and Vision parking assist, freeway autopilot on v11 almost works but fails just enough to be infuriating.

Welp, after 19 months in the beta program they’ve finally done it, they finally got me to turn off FSDb.

V11 is awful and almost entirely because I can’t disable lane changes on the freeway.

I never realized how much I’ve been automatically working around Tesla’s garbage map data in the background of my daily driving. For instance, on my commute, it wants me to get off at an exit, turn around, and get back on the freeway again. Every day. Every time.

I’ve just been turning off NoA while I drive past that exit so the car can figure out that we’re staying on the freeway but now that’s not an option and FSDb is aggressive at trying to make the route happen. One blink and it starts shooting across the freeway to take an erroneous exit.

Turns out there’s a lot of these little quirks I’ve been subconsciously working around for the last several years and now that’s not an option.

Much like the auto wipers and the auto headlights and the auto seat heaters and Vision parking assist, freeway autopilot on v11 almost works but fails just enough to be infuriating.
Exactly. Junk continues to be deployed and tagged, “beta” - in perpetuity.

Ugh... I must have missed the part where you can't turn off lane changes on the highway anymore?! Wow... that's insanity. WHY NOT?!

Reactions: Bull