Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assumed you were addressing me since you quoted me. No worries. Regardless, I can't argue with anything in your post. I know it sucks because I know how stressful it was to qualify for this.
@Nakk I completely agree with your points as well! How can Tesla mandate a yoke, if they know a spinning yoke can’t be handled with FSD running?! See my prior post!

Reactions: Phlier and impastu
I don't see how you would know where to grab if you had take over mid turn. It seems like one your hands might grab air which is not great for control.

I don't see how they can not release FSD Beta to the yoke though, that would be a huge embarrassment if the goal is wide release of beta software.
well one strategy is to never let go :)

S refresh not getting considered, even though they had "the button" is awful. And no communication why so far. Best explanation I've seen so far is that yoke build 36 is ahead of FSD beta build 32. Still, all the people who put in the effort for the score.....

Reactions: impastu
So, they forced only a yoke on these new cars, yet FSD (beta or otherwise) will have a spinning yoke that can’t be handled. Yeah, that makes complete sense to me… like, will there ever not be a spinning yoke with any release of FSD? :rolleyes: Why did they take $10,000 for FSD on these yoke cars then, if a spinning yoke can’t be handled. Complete nonsense.
Take heart, and this is just my opinion. Three years ago I absolutely believed FSD would never, ever be L3 or better. Two years ago I thought maybe. I started watching FSD Beta videos a year ago and started to be optimistic--maybe someday. After about 100 miles with FSD Beta it is my belief that yoke cars will have FSD City Streets in the next year. I see so much promise, I think the day is coming soon where you won't have to constantly keep your hands on the wheel. I could see FSD Beta with a yoke before the end of the year where you let the yoke spin across your palm. If I had to guess, just my opinion, I'd say FSD Beta for yokes before the end of the year. Maybe much sooner. Just not yet.

I didn’t single you out, as I didn’t address this to you via tag. I do agree with all of your points, and posted long ago that I didn’t thing these cars would get early releases - but that was before they surprised me by loading the “button” on my car and excluding my car afterwards from the much needed yoke improvement updates. Then, they wasted all yokers time and patience for two plus weeks gaming the damn safety score - only to hose us a third time by silently excluding all of us today. Complete horshite.

Edit: I’m willing to wager Tesla kept and will be using all of the data I gave them permission to collect while this fool was driving 1200 miles over two plus weeks to maintain a 100 score for no reason! o_O:rolleyes:😅

Since there is an always "on the other hand" = for jebinc, as a Plaid owner, you already have had reason (perhaps) to disengage the yoke. Its not a situation only caused by the new release. How hard (or unsafe) have you found it? Or is this only for the spinning wheel caused in city streets? In other words, a form of disengagement only for the new release?

I don't see how they can not release FSD Beta to the yoke though, that would be a huge embarrassment if the goal is wide release of beta software.

My prediction is that there will be a clarifying tweet from Tesla's "PR department" this evening or tomorrow providing the schedule for the yoke release (which I would expect in the next few days).

In the meantime, yoke owners will have to settle for this from PR:

Maybe there's a hidden meaning.

Take heart, and this is just my opinion. Three years ago I absolutely believed FSD would never, ever be L3 or better. Two years ago I thought maybe. I started watching FSD Beta videos a year ago and started to be optimistic--maybe someday. After about 100 miles with FSD Beta it is my belief that yoke cars will have FSD City Streets in the next year. I see so much promise, I think the day is coming soon where you won't have to constantly keep your hands on the wheel. I could see FSD Beta with a yoke before the end of the year where you let the yoke spin across your palm. If I had to guess, just my opinion, I'd say FSD Beta for yokes before the end of the year. Maybe much sooner. Just not yet.
@Nakk No argument with your points. How do you explain Tesla’s actions here?

1) Incompetence
2) Hidden agenda? Meaning they lets us think we would get it when pushing the button, but knew up front they only wanted us to give them permission to capture the data off of our cars…
3) Other, please explain; but do so in context with the facts (button offered, yoke improvement release blocked, tweets that all with 100 scores would get it in wave 1, those other 100 not getting it today - blocked, silence on all aforementioned issues)

Since there is an always "on the other hand" = for jebinc, as a Plaid owner, you already have had reason (perhaps) to disengage the yoke. Its not a situation only caused by the new release. How hard (or unsafe) have you found it? Or is this only for the spinning wheel caused in city streets? In other words, a form of disengagement only for the new release?
I’ve had no issues with the yoke, in fact I installed one in my MPY for consistency. I do take issue with the Plaid’s yoke buttons, and the BS revolving around the yoke FSD cars getting blocked from receiving the yoke improvements release, and FSD beta release, for those who met the stated requirements.

And now the Tesla “hiding out in the open” play is in play; Tesla pulled my safety score as if I never received the button update and played the safety score BS game for the past two plus weeks. If you are in a similar position (a left out refreshed MS owner), raise cane in all social media venues that you can. Only then might behaviors change. @MarcG @Venom @boonedocks @omarsultan

@Nakk No argument with your points. How do you explain Tesla’s actions here?

1) Incompetence
2) Hidden agenda? Meaning they lets us think we would get it when pushing the button, but knew up front they only wanted us to give them permission to capture the data off of our cars…
3) Other, please explain; but do so in context with the facts (button offered, yoke improvement release blocked, tweets that all with 100 scores would get it in wave 1, those other 100 not getting it today - blocked, silence on all aforementioned issues)
I’d have to shade #1…feels like a room of overworked and exhausted engineers trying to meet EM’s ”deadlines” and don’t have enough adults in the room to make sure the execution of amazing intellect is well orchestrated. I’ve seen it before…done well and not so well. Looks familiar.

Reactions: DukeofURL
I’d have to shade #1…feels like a room of overworked and exhausted engineers trying to meet EM’s ”deadlines” and don’t have enough adults in the room to make sure the execution of amazing intellect is well orchestrated. I’ve seen it before…done well and not so well. Looks familiar.
Could be, but how do you explain the silence then? Do you think leadership is unaware of the issue this late in the day, and with various social media outlets ablaze? I think not.

The takeaway from this game is that it sorts people who are good at figuring out "the rules of the game" vs. people that look at surface level and complain about it. If you're good at playing the game, you're probably good at feeling out the "uncanny valley" that FSD's driving exists in. If not, it'll probably be a big headache of dissatisfied complaints about how bad FSD is, and possibly accidents.

Ending your post with "happened to satisfy" says a lot. Most of us didn't just stumble into a "granny" safety score (I loudly disagree that "driving like granny" is the key to a 100 - as I'm kinda proof of. lol). We learned about the game and worked our asses off at it :)
Cool. Just don't think it was fair game for Musk to hold us to jumping through a clearly flawed safety measure to get an early version of what we paid for.

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
OK, I've got maybe 100 miles under my belt now on FSD Beta. Here's my impressions. The good and then the bad.

Freeway driving is WAY, WAY, WAY better.... {respectfully shortened for brevity...}
Good write-up and pretty similar reaction today in my limited first day (2 different trips of about 15 miles each) on several of your points.

Just a couple of additional observations:
- Very timid entering and navigating turning circles. I needed to goose it a bit most times if there were people behind me.
- Left turns will take a bit to get used to as the car tends to drive straight for a bit longer than a human before making what then becomes a sharper left turn. At 'T' intersections I initially felt like the car would drive straight across and off the road, which was a false concern.
- Similar to AP, it still approaches stops and hard brakes at the end (my sensitivity is extra high now after trying to do most braking on low regen for the past 2 weeks)
- It is usually a bit too timid in intersections (i.e. not going quickly when it is clear, but then deciding to creep out as the oncoming cars are finally nearing). However, about 20% of the time it decides to be very aggressive (i.e. timing a left turn perfectly between multiple oncoming cars without slowing hardly at all).
- Navigating out of a complicated grocery store parking lot was nothing short of amazing as it figured out its complicated route with lots of surrounding action in real-time.

My suggestion to new FSD drivers:
- Start off simple until you have a feel for its boundaries. There is no need to try construction zones in a downtown area during rush hour at this point if you are not even sure what it will do in simpler scenarios 80% of the time.
- Set your speed to +0 if it is not already set there. As mentioned before there are times it can decide to accelerate PDQ and +5 mph over can make a big difference in safety margin.
- Think twice before getting the FSD Beta unless you are totally in the mindset of helping Tesla improve a feature still under development. Anything else will only lead to frustration and disappointment due to wrong expectations. Additionally, unless you are simply demoing for a friend, I think it's safe to say 90% of all FSD engagements will be with a solo driver. I doubt most spouses will accept riding shotgun in FSD mode. I think this would feel more like an E-Ticket ride for all but the most seasoned passengers at this point.
- Never, ever let your guard down. It is totally amazing, but it can at times take a completely unexpected action. Complacency and false trust is what is going to bite people in the end.

You will always be in control and safe unless you let the car put in you an unsafe situation. After day 1, I can say I am very, very impressed with what I see so far, but it also still has a long, long way to go. Exciting times indeed...

How is beta disengagement affecting Safety scores? Or is it? Like breaking to stop it from turning wrong or taking over its aggressive turning...will that affect scores? Or does it matter anymore that we are already in beta?
Safety Score beta has been removed from the IOS app, Im assuming they are not collecting that data for us to see anymore and scores are locked in for entering FSD Beta users.

Did my first drive. Had to wait because kids wanted to come with me for the first drive. They have been more excited about this than I.

Some observations
- The right turn was very aggressive. The left turns seem to be ok. Will take a while to get used to.
- There is some wheel jiggling while turning. Not sure why. Don' they pick a path (based on most optimal of hundreds available, apparently) before the turn starts ?
- Disengaged multiple times. Would not enter the round-about and drive. I'm not sure whether the disengagements were because I did something or the car disengaged by itself.
- Once it looked like the car was needlessly changing lanes and a car was coming in that lane. Had to disengage.
- Stopped / slowed down a lot mid way couple of times. Could be some map issue (stop sign/traffic light where there isn't one). Will check it out.
- Picked the wrong lane once (right turn to freeway, instead of straight).
- Better than AP in that the lane changes are smoother and not much hesitancy when the lane splits or merges
- On unmarked neighborhood roads, goes too close to the parked car for my liking and too fast. I'll probably reduce the speed from now on.

BTW, safety score disappeared from my app. I guess its happened to everyone ?

ps : I've to add, this was during the evening peak rush hour time. So, lots of traffic.

Last edited: