Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not having the time to write as much detail as stated above, I will agree on many statements listed here. Very similar experiences. I too believe we are too early for this. I am cautious and today brought some very scary moments and frustrating moments. One that surprised me is a simple round about with 4 roads, it struggled to get around, lots of erratic steering, I saw previous videos where cars did well around them....I won't be surprised if the back up with this and pull the software for a bit.

One aspect that could be affecting FSD performance is the areas you guys are driving in. I don't think I've seen any videos of testers in Boston or Pennsylvania, which could result in a lack of training data for the neural nets. Hopefully the next few iterations will show big improvements.

@Nakk No argument with your points. How do you explain Tesla’s actions here?

1) Incompetence
2) Hidden agenda? Meaning they lets us think we would get it when pushing the button, but knew up front they only wanted us to give them permission to capture the data off of our cars…
3) Other, please explain; but do so in context with the facts (button offered, yoke improvement release blocked, tweets that all with 100 scores would get it in wave 1, those other 100 not getting it today - blocked, silence on all aforementioned issues)
No idea. I don't have enough information to have a worthwhile opinion--other than it sucks.

Reactions: jebinc
Yes. 2018 MX. Bought FSD originally and had the HW upgrade. I got the beta last night.

Hmmm. By 2018 you would have the upgraded cameras in your original build. We’re worried about the previous camera suite that came with HW2 in early 2017. We upgraded to HW3, but still have the old cameras.

I heard tell of folks doing camera upgrades themselves.. Also there are radar upgrades but now that we’re going vision only, maybe that is OK?

Reactions: Vector2
Guys in attempt to get 100 miles I am going to drive through a bunch of LA tomorrow via city streets.

Is it true if FSD (non beta) is engaged that you don't get penalized no matter what?

My plan is to drive in the middle lane and keep FSD engaged as much as possible, with longest follow distance possible in settings. That way if anyone quick breaks or if a light changes last minute I'm safe.

A little nervous to be honest. Driving in the city here usually requires breaking the 0.3 g-force rule quite a lot. But I need to get my miles up!

Guys in attempt to get 100 miles I am going to drive through a bunch of LA tomorrow via city streets.

Is it true if FSD (non beta) is engaged that you don't get penalized no matter what?

My plan is to drive in the middle lane and keep FSD engaged as much as possible, with longest follow distance possible in settings. That way if anyone quick breaks or if a light changes last minute I'm safe.

A little nervous to be honest. Driving in the city here usually requires breaking the 0.3 g-force rule quite a lot. But I need to get my miles up!
Just drive out east to the middle of nowhere lol

On a serious note, I did a lot of my miles on the I-5. Just stayed in the fast lane and set cruise speed to 85. You can cover a lot of miles quickly at that speed.

Reactions: macmee

I think that it mostly true at least on the highway. A couple of us think we got dinged while using AP on side streets. I think a forced AP disengagement will count even if on the highway.

Reactions: macmee
There's already plenty of good info here on driving experiences with FSD beta, but I might as well add my two cents.

I needed to drive to another city today which was about 35 miles away (one way). Today there were very high winds and dust limiting visibility. The winds also kicked up a crazy amount of trash and debris all over the road. I didn't intend to use FSD the whole way, but just ended up doing so since it was working pretty well for the most part. My trip consisted of suburban neighborhoods, city streets, a winding hilly highway that alternates between 1 and 2 lanes, and a major freeway. There were stoplights out (not flashing, just straight up OFF), construction with traffic cones and lane closures, pedestrians with dogs in the neighborhoods, etc. So, this was a pretty challenging first attempt.

For the entire round-trip journey of roughly 70 miles, I probably disengaged FSD 10 times (about 5 each way) and I hit the little camera button every time to send a video clip to Tesla. Here were the major reasons for disengaging:

1. Phantom braking. This occurred 3-4 times on the trip today. I have no idea what caused them, but I disengaged AP because I always had someone behind me and I had no way of knowing how long the car would be braking for.

2. Choosing the wrong lane when turning from a stoplight. At one stoplight, there were two left turn lanes and I was in the right lane turning through the intersection. This was not a smooth turn (as has been mentioned by others) where it turned a little, then went straight for a bit and suddenly made a sharp turn where it seemed to get confused about where to go. It chose the OTHER turn lane to try to enter and there was a car in that lane behind me. Fortunately, I was able to quickly disengage and correct into my own lane.

3. Taking turns too wide. On the winding highway, much of the road is 1 lane in each direction (and the max speed limit is 55). There is a solid double-yellow line and the car just seemed to want to hug that line waaayyyy too much for my comfort. There were just a few turns I was holding onto the wheel a little too much, I guess, because AP turned off.

4. Other cars cutting me off. I'm sure AP could have handled these two instances, but I was just making sure. On the freeway, a huge Amazon truck blasted into the lane next to me right as AP was starting to change lanes. My car was already moving when the truck behind me jumped into the lane. It was just travelling too fast for my comfort, so I pulled back into my lane, disengaging AP. The other instance happened on the city streets, where a pickup truck cut me off right before an intersection. The traffic ahead came to a quick stop and AP was slowing down the car, but I was still nervous, so I had to brake quickly and the truck ended up leaving me stuck in the intersection for a few seconds. Fortunately the light was still green and traffic got moving again.

5. Speeding. This one is a weird one that I haven't seen mentioned yet. I was coming from a road with a 45mph speed limit and turned into a residential neighborhood where the speed limit is 25. The right turn into the neighborhood was kind of weird, very wide, without breaking into the dotted bike lane. But what was scary was the car didn't recognize the speed limit change right away, so it accelerated very quickly trying to get up to 45. The streets in the neighborhood are winding and really need to be taken slowly. So, I disengaged AP for that instance as well.

6. Stoplight out. There were two spots where the stoplights were out, not flashing red or anything, just out. I wasn't sure what it would do, so I disengaged AP.

I'll echo the other posts about acceleration being too slow in some cases and too fast in others. On the highway, it hugged the left side and in the neighborhood it hugged the right side.

All that stuff being said, I'm very impressed with it. It still handled the 70 mile drive pretty well, overall. There is a ton of room for improvement, obviously. It's 100% beta, and early beta, in my opinion. You absolutely need to be vigilant and pay attention to everything that's going around you. I know this is easy to say since I was lucky enough to get the beta, but this is not what we paid for. Being part of the beta program is actually being willing to work to help get it there. It's a lot of fun and very exciting to try out, but it's not "useful" to me at this stage. You can't turn it on and ignore everything. You have to be more attentive than when you normally drive. I'm going to keep using it as much as I can and keep hitting that button to send all the video clips to Tesla so they can continue to improve it.

Final thing to note, even with the disengagements, where I had to brake or turn harder than normal, when I checked my score after the trip, it was 100 for the day. There were no dings for anything during the whole 70 mile trip. Of course, the entire score thing went away later in the day anyway, so it doesn't matter. But I thought that was interesting since I received unsafe follow distance dings while on AP during the 14-day scoring period. It only happened once, but it was still weird.

DON’T drive in the middle of the day on city streets. Do what I just did and take a long freeway drive at night with minimal traffic / chances of someone screwing you up. Drive very carefully to the freeway (don’t use brakes at all, and feather regen) and then once on the freeway put it in AP and rack up the miles.

Reactions: Sporty
DON’T drive in the middle of the day on city streets. Do what I just did and take a long freeway drive at night with minimal traffic / chances of someone screwing you up. Drive very carefully to the freeway (don’t use brakes at all, and feather regen) and then once on the freeway put it in AP and rack up the miles.
Hmm, makes sense to me. Ok tomorrow I will try! I guess I’ll get to 100 miles and stop. Or maybe now I’ll need 200 miles at this point. Hard to say. But I think my best hope is 100 miles and 100 score and that they do a new batch with fresh scores soon!

Last edited:
Did you create a new account here just to troll Tesla owners? Call me when any other manufacturer has even basic lane keep assist that can handle more than the gentlest of curves…I’ll wait.

Congrats! Consider yourself as a domesticated pet of Elon Musk. Look up the word "Obedience".

True that Tesla is years ahead of the curve but others are catching up. I truly enjoy driving my M3 but stop kidding yourself that FSD Beta is anywhere near completion without the proper upgrade of the current hardware. Our current Tesla's HW3 will never be capable of L4 FSD. Any high school AP CS student will tell you that. It's not feasible. What pisses me off is EM lying on Autonomous Day a few years ago stating that HW3 was capable of running FSD. Samsung making the HW4 chip is going on the right path, but imagine of all the dufus that purchased HW3 upgrade from 2 for $1500. Next year they'll have to fork over another 1k just like the rest of us for HW 4 upgrade in the near future. We are SOL.

BUT... you are still going to wave pom pom in the air and shouting "Give me more!!! I can take it!!! ROFLMAO You guys are truly delusional. And YES I too bought into the hype. Stupid me for playing the dumb fsd beta score game. What the @#%! was I thinking off for the past 2 weeks???

Am I mad? Yeah... YOU can say that. Time to wake up. EM wanted me to drive "unsafe" to reach 100% Drive like that in L.A. and you'll become one of the sad statistics. Been driving for the last 35 years without any major accident's with ZERO traffic violation. I'll proudly take my 92% and shove up his ....

Kind of a weird behavior for Beta where when it is the first car at a left turn lane waiting on a red it will turn the wheel a bit to the right (up to about 90 degrees) for some reason. Very off putting. I assume it’s because it wants to give as much clearance as possible to make sure it won’t clip the wheels on the median, but it’s annoying. It sometimes does that on a right turn too, where it will turn to the left slightly to swing out wide when it really isn’t necessary. I hate when humans do that too, since I’ve had some idiot humans swing their car into my through lane when they’re trying to take a turn extremely wide for no reason in their Corolla, sometimes just surprising me and sometimes even forcing me to swerve around them. Really don’t like Beta emulating that behavior.