Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks I know with the beta SW have shared this same sentiment: while everything in the video seems smooth, it does not fully communicate the in-cabin experience with the jerky steering wheel, stoping and starting, etc.

While I don't have FSD, I do have a similar experience with summons. While dumb summons does not work to pull my car out of the garage, I can use smart summons, but, while it works, the steering flails wildly during and doesn't instill much confidence.

I have FSD beta and am not disappointed at all, but I also feel it’s not ready for prime time. That means more testers like us that are willing to put up with what it takes to help Tesla progress FSD are needed. It’s really a matter of expectations. I didn’t expect a final product because it’s being released not to all customers. This comes back to how people keep complaining about not getting what you paid for and whatnot. I keep saying, FSD beta isn’t what we paid for. Even before Sunday night, this should be seen as limited early access. I paid for FSD in the future and I knew this beta would not be it.

Anyhow, back to the question at hand, unmet (whether reasonable or not) expectation is biggest reason. Secondly, it’s sometimes really aggressive including in quick snap decision moments that as experienced human drivers, we don’t even think about it anymore. They’re just reflex for us. Aggressive is good in some driving circumstances, but I’ve been thinking about it this way: when aggression exceeds expectations, that’s when it becomes uncomfortable, requiring more attentiveness as the driving supervisor, and lowers confidence in the AI. Just like on production AP/NoA, you instinctively get used to what situations you trust it more than others, and you pay closer attention or even just disengage when you see a driving situation coming up that you don’t trust it at all.

Looks like you didn't intervene in multiple situations where you should have either intervened or at least logged a bug. Otherwise - while an interesting case study - not very useful for Tesla.

But at least looks like it didn't disengage, anywhere ?
Other than the initial hesitation at the dog walker, what are you referring to? (As I said in my notes, I did log/report after I arrived home and that driveway median issue

I looked at the miles and teslafi has reported total miles equal to beta scoring period + last couple days
I think that’s something else. Not sure how best to look for that previous post, but even in Tesla app, it reported every trip on Monday (and total miles driven that day) before it disappeared from the app later Monday afternoon, but I don’t think it was logging dings.

my outing this morning was short. Only a little over 5 miles. Didn't use FSD on the way back as it had started to drizzle and I'm not that brave. But on the way out it performed very well with one hiccup reported many times. Coming up from the bottom to a 'T' stop, it slowly stopped (fortunately no one behind me) and did the hesitant creep & steering wheel wiggle going a little left before making the right turn.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Another change that I have noticed that is a minor annoyance with the beta is that sometimes you have to put your foot on the brake pedal to go between Drive and Reverse. Not always though - I just tried it out and it shifted back and forth without difficulty. I’ve never noticed this warning before, and it’s not clear to me when it is required. It’s possible I have just never noticed and there were conditions (a slope?) where it was always required? But I tend to think it is new somehow…. Not sure if anyone has any comments.

It seems that most new FSD beta users feel that FSD is worse than in the previous testers videos. Any idea why?

As others have mentioned, I don’t think it is worse than expected at all. Things like jerky steering, and sudden 5mph deceleration, etc. are not extremely obvious from the videos, but are very evident in person, and it’s highly predictable that original beta testers did not mention it. It’s about as jerky as I expected.

Other than the initial hesitation at the dog walker, what are you referring to? (As I said in my notes, I did log/report after I arrived home and that driveway median issue

I take this to mean this kind of thing is happening often .. you should be intervening to let Tesla know something is wrong.
I’ve learned in such hesitation situations to swing my head back and forth as if I’m looking or checking for traffic or my blind spots over my left and right shoulders to give the car a little cover/excuse to take more time 😆

Reactions: TresLA and jebinc
Another change that I have noticed that is a minor annoyance with the beta is that sometimes you have to put your foot on the brake pedal to go between Drive and Reverse. Not always though - I just tried it out and it shifted back and forth without difficulty. I’ve never noticed this warning before, and it’s not clear to me when it is required. It’s possible I have just never noticed and there were conditions (a slope?) where it was always required? But I tend to think it is new somehow…. Not sure if anyone has any comments.

As others have mentioned, I don’t think it is worse than expected at all. Things like jerky steering, and sudden 5mph deceleration, etc. are not extremely obvious from the videos, but are very evident in person, and it’s highly predictable that original beta testers did not mention it. It’s about as jerky as I expected.

I get this message occassionally since I prefer not stepping on the brake to change directions and I don't have the beta yet.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Mine shows yesterday's date (10/12) and approximately the right miles up through yesterday. It's about 3 miles off but my teslafi logs show a period of lost connectivity during a drive that they say can't be recovered so that might explain the couple mile difference.

Just updated the app to 4.1.1.667 and that didn't change anything

I had a what the hell is it doing now session with FSD Beta. There were three lanes in my direction going 45 mph. I had been in the right lane for a while, and a right turn was coming up in 0.3 miles. FSD decided to move over one lane to the left. I thought maybe it was going around the car ahead of me and would merge back in, but it didn't try to overtake the other car. It just hung out in that lane. Meanwhile, that right turn is rapidly approaching, so I used the turn signal to force it back into the right lane. Again, FSD moves over to the left lane. This time it is kind of overtaking the car ahead, but barely. I'm about 0.1 miles from the right turn now, and there is only one obvious hole in the right lane traffic ahead of me, so I forced fsd with turn signal again into the right lane. Right then the right turn only sign appeared for that lane. Fsd was able to get left again in time and make the turn it had always wanted to.

it’s highly predictable that original beta testers did not mention it.
Perhaps predictable - but not what I expected !

Here are the specific things I think where FSD is worse than I expected.
- Jerky steeling wheel movements. I've seen this in some videos - but thought it happens when the car isn't sure what to do (edge cases)
- Sudden slow downs for no apparent reason. AP didn't have this problem.
- Sudden disengagements.

BTW, there is some argument that FSD works better in CA than other places. I want to see more reviews by CA beta testers to see what they feel.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I take this to mean this kind of thing is happening often .. you should be intervening to let Tesla know something is wrong.
I see what you mean now. Maybe it’s just nuance, but in this instance it didn’t hesitate TOO long so I didn’t report it. It performed as I’d expect. But in others where I’m looking around to socially communicate I might take a little longer, I have reported it.

Your comment brings up another thought though: how well do we expect computer AI to read social cues like this one with the dog walker signaling “go ahead first” by just stop walking (i.e. - not waving at me to go first)? In this case, I was impressed by how it changed decisions quickly “enough” and decided to continue instead of waiting for the pedestrian like it initially (and usually) would. But maybe my expectations for AI aren’t high enough and I should be more scared that the singularity is on our heels.

Another change that I have noticed that is a minor annoyance with the beta is that sometimes you have to put your foot on the brake pedal to go between Drive and Reverse. Not always though - I just tried it out and it shifted back and forth without difficulty. I’ve never noticed this warning before, and it’s not clear to me when it is required.
I also like to change D to R and vice versa without stepping on the brake. I attribute it to my preference of (before Tesla) driving manual transmission cars. I have regen set to roll.

I noticed this message before FSD beta as well, but usually only if I was rolling kind of faster (maybe 5 MPH?). Now I’ve been getting that message more, so maybe the threshold was lowered. Not sure.

I want to see more reviews by CA beta testers to see what they feel.
I doubt it is a regional difference for the jerky steering and the sudden slowdowns, specifically.

- The jerky steering is evident in all the videos I have ever seen.
- Sudden slowdowns are visible in most videos if you watch carefully (5mph in less than a second is quite noticeable but impossible to see in a video unless you look at the speedometer).

I’ve noticed the odd “pulsing” in accelerator application mentioned earlier here earlier by someone. It’s like for a small fraction of a second it releases the accelerator on a clear unobstructed road with good visibility with no traffic. Not sure what that is; it is odd and would never be noticeable in a video (it’s actually very subtle even as a driver - I think many people using FSD beta would not notice it - but it is undoubtedly there).

Reactions: Darren F and eli_
Your comment brings up another thought though: how well do we expect computer AI to read social cues like this one with the dog walker signaling “go ahead first” by just stop walking (i.e. - not waving at me to go first)? In this case, I was impressed by how it changed decisions quickly “enough” and decided to continue instead of waiting for the pedestrian like it initially (and usually) would. But maybe my expectations for AI aren’t high enough and I should be more scared that the singularity is on our heels.
This is kind of the holy grail of FSD. The second one is tougher then the first.
- How to predict what others are going to do
- How to predict how their actions will change based on your action

• Informative
Reactions: TresLA and jebinc
Mine shows yesterday's date (10/12) and approximately the right miles up through yesterday. It's about 3 miles off but my teslafi logs show a period of lost connectivity during a drive that they say can't be recovered so that might explain the couple mile difference.

Just updated the app to 4.1.1.667 and that didn't change anything
Huh. I’m not sure then sorry (I don’t have/use TeslaFi, but was trying to remember that post I saw about it). Maybe @n.one.one has more insight?

Reactions: jebinc
I’ve noticed the odd “pulsing” in accelerator application mentioned earlier here earlier by someone. It’s like for a small fraction of a second it releases the accelerator on a clear unobstructed road with good visibility with no traffic. Not sure what that is; it is odd and would never be noticeable in a video (it’s actually very subtle even as a driver - I think many people using FSD beta would not notice it - but it is undoubtedly there).
I'm actually referring to severe slowdowns (like going from 35 to 20, for no apparent reason). Infact, in a couple of such instances when I pressed the accelerator to make it get back to normal speed, it disengaged.

BTW, this has happened before to me in AP. But those were at specific locations where the car expected a stop sign / traffic signal (based on the map) - but were actually not there. Now its happening in places where there is no apparent map anomaly (assuming they use openstreetmap - here for eg ).

Last edited: