Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely DOES upload VIA cellular. I can see my last drive literally within seconds of leaving my car no matter where that is.
I assume you are talking about safety score data, yes that is uploaded via cellular. But we have no idea if Tesla is using cellular to upload the Gigabytes of data/video that is collected during FSD drives. (I doubt it.)

I'm sort of surprised that they didn't make a reliable/fast WiFi connection a requirement of the beta. (Maybe they will after they figure out that they aren't getting data from a bunch of people that don't have WiFi available where they park.)

Reactions: boonedocks
It seems that most new FSD beta users feel that FSD is worse than in the previous testers videos. Any idea why?
Two reasons I see. First, as several people have commented the video doesn't really reflect the jerky car movements and the rapid movement of the steering wheel in your hands. Second, for me FSD has just performed very poorly. I attribute that to older road system in Mass where I'm driving which is just not conducive to FSD with the sharp turns and obstructed views. I'm going to make a point now to drive on your more typical "numbered" state/county roads. I suspect those drives will be much better.

!!!

So using the freeway and fsd to get youre score up is risky because as you disengage for a moment to exit or enter, you will be punished big for unsafe follow!
I used AP & NoA a lot. When following distance is good (a car within 1-3 seconds of following distance in front) and you’re cruising along without likelihood of someone cutting in front of you, turn of NoA for a bit to rack up safe following miles. But I still went back to NoA mostly because I’ve always liked using it (note: I’ve also required confirmation for lane changes since pretty soon after NoA release so it’s a smoother drive for other drivers around me). Then when you come to your exit ramp, prepare early on: if you’re over 50 MPH still, then scroll down to lower the AP speed so you back off the car in front to at least 1 second worth of following distance. That’s when I disengaged AP if the exit ramp was one I knew AP would have issue with (e.g. - lane split causes car to jerk, tight exit ramp loop, etc. Otherwise I just let NoA transition naturally to AP while on the exit ramp, it slows on its own, and when below 50 MPH (or at the end of ramp stoplight), I disengaged AP to make the turn.

Maybe this sounds like a lot, but I’m just giving lots of details for what I’m reflexively doing now and not really needing to think about it much.

Reactions: Jeff N
Link the tweet - I'll respond to him.

Basically - even if Vincent was a "public" tester and was included - it still meant a lot of others who should have been included based on the score and mileage criteria have not been included. "whole Mars" is doing themselves disservice by ignoring the obvious.
And intentionally ignoring the obvious, in addition to citing false information to his many following disciples (and everyone else).

Reactions: Phlier
I initially got many disengagements on turns in FSD, until I realized I was doing it. If you are gripping the wheel while it is jerking back and forth during a hesitent turn, FSD will easily disengage. Let the wheel do its thing without gripping it during the turn. . Keep your hands on the wheel but don't grip it like you would to prevent a nag. It doesn't take much of a tug to disengage as it did before without FSD in AP. If you need to intervene, you can easily then grab the wheel, but otherwise, let the wheel turn under your hanfs without gripping it.
While FSD beta is engaged, I’ve learned to lightly hold steering wheel with left hand about 9 o’clock position (slightly towards 8 o’clock when cruising straight without expected turns coming up) and thumb is NOT wrapped around inside of wheel so it can spin unobstructed, tugging when nagged to. My right hand is hardly on the wheel at all. I have it on the stalk ready to immediately disengage FSD beta/AP if needed. Even before in NoA/AP, I’ve always preferred disengaging using the stalk (i.e. - pushing 1 tick/step/notch up on the stalk) instead of applying brakes or force on steering wheel. It’s less violent and feels more in control when quick reflex decisions are needed.

Reactions: coselectric
Link the tweet - I'll respond to him.

Basically - even if Vincent was a "public" tester and was included - it still meant a lot of others who should have been included based on the score and mileage criteria have not been included. "whole Mars" is doing themselves disservice by ignoring the obvious.
@EVNow I think I saw in Vincent's tweet thread he said he was running .26, and not the public release version, .25.

• Informative
Naw you’re just rounding up to 100. Being on autopilot probably doesn’t help nor hurt your follow distance metric. The follow distance score is a percentage of time you are within 1 second or lead car divided by the percentage of time you’re within 3 seconds of a lead car…only when driving over 50mph and not on autopilot. So maybe of those 40 miles you drove, probably less than a mile was counted total…and then it says 14% of that time you were too close. But many Of the other metrics count the full 40 miles. So the weight of the follow distance is much smaller than the weight of your other perfect score metrics….allowing you to round up to 100%. some of this is a guess but seems to follow with my experience….a follow distance ding never hurts my score as much as an aggressive turn or brake.
It must include under 50mph. I got one during the two week period on a drive where I was never over 50. Where I think I got it I was about 38 or so. Starting to slow for an upcoming stop when a car pulled out in front of me.

This is a MX issue (and possibly MS). I noticed that the display no longer shows the last speed limit sign that the vehicle observed. Previously I referred to that quite often and find that I really miss it. Here are images with FSD beta 10.2 on and then with it off. Is this the same in a MS? Has anyone noticed any other issues that are unique to S & X?

I started a thread in the MX forum for FSD issues specifically for that vehicle. Model X (only) - FSD beta

1634141246403-png.721029

1634140971286-png.721019

Last edited:
@EVNow I think I saw in Vincent's tweet thread he said he was running .26, and not the public release version, .25.
Jeb, here is the post on Tesla FI with "S Plaid" installs - I guess Vincent lives in Virginia, since that is the extra 1 install that brought the S Plaid total to 10

VirginiaUnited States

That is the part cut of from the pdf

Attachments

• TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker.pdf
    56.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Informative
This is a MX issue (and possibly MS). I noticed that the display no longer shows the last speed limit sign that the vehicle observed. Previously I referred to that quite often and find that I really miss it. Here are images with FSD beta 10.2 on and then with it off. Is this the same in a MS? Has anyone noticed any other issues that are unique to S & X?

I started a thread in the MX forum for FSD issues specifically for that vehicle. Model X (only) - FSD beta

1634141246403-png.721029

1634140971286-png.721019
I noticed it was missing on my Model S, too.

Reactions: n.one.one
Okay I got through a few pages of comments since I last checked but running out of time. 😂

First couple nights (I’m including wee hours of Sunday night/Monday morning) we’re pretty rough. But granted I was putting FSD beta through pretty tough scenarios (coming out of driveways with crests/hills, parking garages & parking lots, navigation that required turning onto a big street and immediately cross 4 lanes to get to the left turn lanes for the next turn, etc.), but yesterday driving to a work site in afternoon slight traffic and back home in the evening from a work client site were AMAZINGLY good without interventions at all. A few notes on the drive home:

1) I did not control any steering nor pedals nor turn signals the whole drive (except at the end pulling into my driveway, but more on that later)
2) I couldn’t start FSD beta while in the parking space (if you were wondering), but after reversing (and sitting a moment to see if auto steer icon would appear; it didn’t), I was able to start FSD beta while still in the parking lot
3) It drove through the parking lot to the exit (not a difficult lot to navigate)
4) A dog and its walker were coming to the cross sidewalk, but waited for me to go first. I was ready to disengage, but the car beautifully slowed (I’m guessing expecting the dog and walker to cross), but when the walking stopped, it eventually (delayed enough to maybe look a little weird to onlookers but not too long that I gave up and disengaged) pulled out of parking lot onto street and continued on its way. I’ve learned in such hesitation situations to swing my head back and forth as if I’m looking or checking for traffic or my blind spots over my left and right shoulders to give the car a little cover/excuse to take more time 😆
5) Route included turning left from a stop sign onto a street without, a very sharp right turn to change streets, a few short miles of freeway (it transitioned to NoA and back to FSD beta just fine)
6) Pulled into my apartment complex parking garage driveway WAY too fast as always these last couple days, but it didn’t see the driveway entrance median/planters/sign maybe because of the driveway crest (it’s shown up on the screen in the past) and I had to emergency disengage to avoid driving into it. I reported that anyway (even if disengagements supposedly do something similar)
7) Just for kicks I re-engaged FSD beta when I’d corrected and straightened in the parking garage driveway. Keep in mind the destination was already reached so it was FSD beta engaged with no destination set. That’s always a fun adventure! As noted before, I had to scroll the wheel way down to 5 MPH instead of the 25 it defaulted to. It very jerkily navigated a tight turn around another median/tree, then it jerkily but eventually turned into my parking garage instead of continuing out to the street! I’ll chalk that up to luck unless they’ve trained it to be smart enough to know you’re arriving and probably going into the garage. It straightened out and proceeded (slowly because I’d set 5 MPH limit and too many kids run out unexpectedly here)
8) The weirdest thing happened at the end of the parking garage aisle where it needed to turn: the mirrors folded in then immediately unfolded out! Maybe it though a tight squeeze was coming up? I’m unsure since I wasn’t really closer to any objects on either side
9) I disengaged when it couldn’t figure out this last parking garage turn (it has jerkily previous nights) and manually drove to my space and parked

Two reasons I see. First, as several people have commented the video doesn't really reflect the jerky car movements and the rapid movement of the steering wheel in your hands. Second, for me FSD has just performed very poorly. I attribute that to older road system in Mass where I'm driving which is just not conducive to FSD with the sharp turns and obstructed views. I'm going to make a point now to drive on your more typical "numbered" state/county roads. I suspect those drives will be much better.
Folks I know with the beta SW have shared this same sentiment: while everything in the video seems smooth, it does not fully communicate the in-cabin experience with the jerky steering wheel, stoping and starting, etc.

While I don't have FSD, I do have a similar experience with summons. While dumb summons does not work to pull my car out of the garage, I can use smart summons, but, while it works, the steering flails wildly during and doesn't instill much confidence.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
What does the road show up as ? Private / residential ....
My experience has been that if I updated something in a parking lot in openstreetmaps it took but if I did something on roads I didn't notice a change. (not saying you are wrong) I am curious if you know for sure what things use what maps. I have tried changing speed limits on roads where the data is wrong in OSM and have reported to google and nothing seems to work (usually google says it can't verify my change, I feel like sending google a copy of the road commission map or something and asking if this is proof enough lol) So far I haven't found a way that I noticed to have an influence on roads, does it cause a change with navigation and not visual on map for roads or is there something else I am not doing right?