Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two reasons I see. First, as several people have commented the video doesn't really reflect the jerky car movements and the rapid movement of the steering wheel in your hands. Second, for me FSD has just performed very poorly. I attribute that to older road system in Mass where I'm driving which is just not conducive to FSD with the sharp turns and obstructed views. I'm going to make a point now to drive on your more typical "numbered" state/county roads. I suspect those drives will be much better.

I'm not sure I watched videos that closely before but for me, though having my hands on the wheel amplifies things.... it's the obvious unsureness that results in jerky movements. FSD is surely having a difficult time deciding what to do.

Keep in mind the majority of this comes down to turns, just riding down the road and going straight through stoplights/signs is generally just dandy, it's the turns where I have to disengage about 80% of the time or more, especially if other vehicles are around... because the way FSD behaves in such an "I'm not sure what I'm doing" manner, it's either going to confuse or anger other drivers (rightly so), and/or freak out and make a bad decision that is at minimum embarrassing and maximum causing a near miss or accident even with your hands on the wheel.

Another thing I noticed is my neighborhood is two-lanes that is three lanes wide with no markings. It is determined to position right in the middle and it makes me feel like an a$$hat to oncoming vehicles waiting for the Tesla to move over.

Reactions: Matias
One last thought about Beta FSD and yokers...

I've posted a bit about how I thought that the spinning yoke could be the reason (along with the Frankenstein hardware merge problem) that it hasn't been released for yoke cars.

A few people have countered that the disengagement torque is so minimal that you're not gonna get hurt.

Those cheap floor fans you can get at Walmart? If a guy were to hold his finger against a blade when he then turned the fan on would be able to completely prevent the fan from starting to rotate. There just ain't much torque. Even so, you still wouldn't want to stick your finger in that fan when it's spinning.

Same applies to the yoke. You have the entire drive column's worth of rotating momentum to stop, in addition to the torque being applied by FSD. And if you were to reach up and try to stop that when FSD is having a moment, it's going to hurt.

HOWEVER, a guy here on the forums (my apologies for not being able to give full credit but I don't remember his name), came up with a solution so completely obvious that I feel like a complete idiot for not thinking about it.

Tap the brake.

The only time that the wheel really gets spinning fast is when the car is either stationary or nearly so. Just tap the brake and disengage the spinning yoke of death. ;)

This would take some time for me to reprogram the grey matter, as I'm so used to grabbing the wheel to stop its shenanigans. But with some practice, I think it would eventually become second nature.

This being the case, I no longer am of the opinion that the spinning yoke problem is the reason they haven't released the beta for yokers.

Only Elon knows.

And he ain't talking. :(
I get no warning when it's going to spin the wheel at a thousand rpm. The car will start to roll and turn the wheel slightly, then bam it's super fast. There is now way you could react in time to get your hand out of the way and press the brake.

No - we can't control its creep etc.

You can upload the video to youtube and put the link here.
Yes, I wish more real people here (not the unobjective shills on twitter/YouTube, etc) would post more real world videos/experiences with the recently released Beta FSD .25 (not .26) Firmware update. "Great, good, bad and ugly" all welcomed in this thread, Anyone?

• Love
Reactions: Phlier
I get no warning when it's going to spin the wheel at a thousand rpm. The car will start to roll and turn the wheel slightly, then bam it's super fast. There is now way you could react in time to get your hand out of the way and press the brake.
True, but for me that wouldn't be a problem, as my hand never leaves the wheel when FSD is on. Ever.

With a yoke car, I'd have my hand firmly in the hand mold, and it wouldn't ever get a chance to reach max rpm, as I'd disengage it with counter torque before it reached a point in rotation that I'd have to switch and/or reposition hand(s).

But this would definitely be a problem for guys that don't hold the wheel/yoke. And I'm not saying you can't safely operate with your hand off the wheel, either. But IMO, it is better to do so.

Reactions: jebinc
Tap the brake.

The only time that the wheel really gets spinning fast is when the car is either stationary or nearly so. Just tap the brake and disengage the spinning yoke of death. ;)

This would take some time for me to reprogram the grey matter, as I'm so used to grabbing the wheel to stop its shenanigans. But with some practice, I think it would eventually become second nature.

I notice that I disengage with wheel takeover more than braking. I think I've trained myself to reduce unnecessary braking as a courtesy to people following me. Using the brake to cancel cruise control or in this case AP/FSD always felt wrong esp if the intervention doesn't require me to slow down. But yeah in this case where you're already at low speeds, maybe it's ok. I just don't know if it's worth the muscle memory reprogramming.

Also, because I disengage with the steering wheel so much, I find it annoying that it's not a full cancel of everything. TACC still runs. I can see the benefit of this, but not so much when I'm testing FSD. This is why I'd much prefer Tesla not disengage AP/FSD from manual steering inputs. Give me control when I need it, resume when I stop wheel input.

Well, nobody's lerfect. ;)

See quoted post below and response. :)

This part of FSD Beta is one you gotta watch out for. Sometimes, it feels like it is actually planning its lane usage according to upcoming turns. Other times, it's completely out to lunch. I've had it switch out of the right lane to the middle lane when a right turn is less than .1 miles away, with no break in right lane traffic available to get us back in the lane in time for the turn. It does this very often. Today I'm going to put the lane change for slower traffic setting down to minimum and see if it helps.

I've been reporting these with the camera icon, but I'm wondering if the people/computers that examine the footage are actually able to put into context why the event was reported with the camera icon in the first place. In fact, there are a ton of instances where I've hit the camera icon and thought, "good luck putting that into context."

Great example of something that we do all the time as human drivers without ever even thinking about it.

On a similar note, I can't tell you how many times I've avoided being in an accident just by looking at the driver in the potential accident car; just being able to see what the other driver is looking at in certain situations can be the deciding factor on whether or not a collision happens.
For the context of the reported clips, I believe in the email they said you can send an email with the date and time and explain the clip you sent to them to give them more context and further detail.

I know this is a stupid question I’m probably wasting my time but has anyone with a 2021 refreshed LR or plaid gotten the beta yet? It’s been about 20 pages since I last checked but I’m still driving my Plaid like a 90-year-old with a very slim chance that I’ll get it
Not sure I understand the context, but there was this comment:
Jeb, here is the post on Tesla FI with "S Plaid" installs - I guess Vincent lives in Virginia, since that is the extra 1 install that brought the S Plaid total to 10

VirginiaUnited States

That is the part cut of from the pdf
I think maybe that implies that all 10 of the S with yoke that are running FSD beta are running .26, but we're still assuming .26 "isn't the public beta" in spite of the occasional odd number that only applies to a very specific configuration in regular builds.

In either case, with the post about no more rollout until 10.3, I think you might need to granny it for another 1.5 weeks to really find out.

I've posted a bit about how I thought that the spinning yoke could be the reason (along with the Frankenstein hardware merge problem) that it hasn't been released for yoke cars.

A few people have countered that the disengagement torque is so minimal that you're not gonna get hurt.

This being the case, I no longer am of the opinion that the spinning yoke problem is the reason they haven't released the beta for yokers.

Only Elon knows.

And he ain't talking. :(
I think you're right and any risk of injury from using the yoke on FSD Beta isn't the reason they haven't rolled it out out yet.

But IMO it should be the reason. I'll bet they don't acknowledge the risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
I know this is a stupid question I’m probably wasting my time but has anyone with a 2021 refreshed LR or plaid gotten the beta yet? It’s been about 20 pages since I last checked but I’m still driving my Plaid like a 90-year-old with a very slim chance that I’ll get it
Nope, Except some 95% safety scorer who has a big following on Twitter.
The total count of Plaid's with Beta was 9 on Monday, went to 10 last night with the twitter followers

• Informative
True, but for me that wouldn't be a problem, as my hand never leaves the wheel when FSD is on. Ever.

With a yoke car, I'd have my hand firmly in the hand mold, and it wouldn't ever get a chance to reach max rpm, as I'd disengage it with counter torque before it reached a point in rotation that I'd have to switch and/or reposition hand(s).

But this would definitely be a problem for guys that don't hold the wheel/yoke. And I'm not saying you can't safely operate with your hand off the wheel, either. But IMO, it is better to do so.
I mean this is kind of the problem. If you do anything firmly with the yoke or wheel, you are going to get a lot of disengagements. FSD Beta seems to be very sensitive to toque on the steering wheel. So if your thumb is wrapped around the yoke when it starts to spin, it will definitely disengage. FSD, probably not your thumb. Probably.

I have three questions for other Beta testers.

First: Do you think the fact that we were driving like sloths for several weeks prior to becoming testers colored our perception of the cars over-aggressiveness? The first night I was "Wow, this thing is aggressive!" And now the same turns and curves just don't seem as aggressive to me; they seem more like how I normally drive. Either the car has become less aggressive than the first night I had beta, or my perception of aggressiveness has changed. Thoughts?

Second: I'm dead serious here. What do you think of putting a student driver sign in the back window? I've seen joke posts on this, but I'm starting to think it's a good idea. Thoughts?

Third: It seems to me that the car often cuts the corner on right turns, but does a good job on left turns. I've had several interventions to prevent curb rash on right turns, none on left turns. Thoughts?

Nope, Except some 95% safety scorer who has a big following on Twitter.
The total count of Plaid's with Beta was 9 on Monday, went to 10 last night with the twitter followers
@Ryan27 Yep, just the shills seem to have received some "non public version" (e.g., .26) after hours, and sometime after the public release... I guess someone felt Tesla needed to redirect the thought Tesla intentionally, and silently, excluded all yoke equipped cars from getting the initial release - so someone may be trying to create a false perception that the yoke cars really did get it like everyone else (but we here on TMC know better).

Not sure I understand the context, but there was this comment:

I think maybe that implies that all 10 of the S with yoke that are running FSD beta are running .26, but we're still assuming .26 "isn't the public beta" in spite of the occasional odd number that only applies to a very specific configuration in regular builds.

In either case, with the post about no more rollout until 10.3, I think you might need to granny it for another 1.5 weeks to really find out.
That is JFL... Just F...ing Lovely!!!!