Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been able to edit speed limits using google maps. I can not find a function on OpenStreetMaps to edit speed limits.
How do you edit Google Maps ? In OpenStreet, you have to register and login. Then you can (see the help on how to edit).

ps : By editing Google Maps, do you mean suggesting an edit ?

Last edited:
I have three questions for other Beta testers.

First: Do you think the fact that we were driving like sloths for several weeks prior to becoming testers colored our perception of the cars over-aggressiveness? The first night I was "Wow, this thing is aggressive!" And now the same turns and curves just don't seem as aggressive to me; they seem more like how I normally drive. Either the car has become less aggressive than the first night I had beta, or my perception of aggressiveness has changed. Thoughts?

Second: I'm dead serious here. What do you think of putting a student driver sign in the back window? I've seen joke posts on this, but I'm starting to think it's a good idea. Thoughts?

Third: It seems to me that the car often cuts the corner on right turns, but does a good job on left turns. I've had several interventions to prevent curb rash on right turns, none on left turns. Thoughts?
Might not be a bad idea, actually.

How do you edit Google Maps ? In OpenStreet, you have to register and login. Then you can (see the help on how to edit).

Yes I did login but could not find an edit tool for speed limits. On google maps, as with OSM, you must register and sign in and then you can select a road under edit and then type in the correction to speed limit. I have been successful on google maps in editing things. Because I have seen no updates to maps in Tesla maps I cannot say if google or OSM is the source of information.

A note of caution for FSD Beta testers is that neural networks can behave quite differently even for the same intersection that it has done fine multiple times in the past (even on the same version), so you'll need to pay extra attention especially if the visualized path prediction seems to be jumping around.
I've noticed how I'm instinctively glancing at the FSD beta path/route visualization (that dashed/dotted path line) to see how much it's jumping around (left, right, or just slightly right vs more right). Based on how steady that path indicator is, gives me more or less confidence in whether the car will pick the right choice. For example in parking lots often it's jumping all over the place to the point where I don't even know whether it's going to turn left or right at the end of the aisle ("T"). It almost seems random when it does pick the correct direction instead of going the wrong way around a circle/parking lot median. But on streets with clearly marked lanes (and probably up-to-date map info), that path planning dashed/dotted line is solid and colored, so I instinctively relax as it comes to an intersection or picks the lane, or makes a turn, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: ahoen117 and jebinc
I know this is a stupid question I’m probably wasting my time but has anyone with a 2021 refreshed LR or plaid gotten the beta yet? It’s been about 20 pages since I last checked but I’m still driving my Plaid like a 90-year-old with a very slim chance that I’ll get it
Only one that I've heard of so far. The YouTuber, Tesla blogger, influencer Tesmanian on Twitter has a yoke and beta.

Agreed.

It definitely isn't a perfect solution, but it is at least enough of a solution that I don't think it's the reason they wouldn't release the beta to yokers.
In our Model 3, I prefer to disengage AP/NoA (and now FSD beta/NoA) using the gear stalk (i.e. - tip the stalk up one notch/tick/step). Combined with instinctively pressing the accelerator pedal to match the current speed, it's a smoother transition from car control to manual/human control. So my question is: how else besides steering wheel torque and brake pedal can AP/NoA/FSD beta be cancelled/disengaged (since there are no stalks)?

In our Model 3, I prefer to disengage AP/NoA (and now FSD beta/NoA) using the gear stalk (i.e. - tip the stalk up one notch/tick/step). Combined with instinctively pressing the accelerator pedal to match the current speed, it's a smoother transition from car control to manual/human control. So my question is: how else besides steering wheel torque and brake pedal can AP/NoA/FSD beta be cancelled/disengaged (since there are no stalks)?
From the manual it looks like there's no way to cancel it that's equivalent to using the stalk:
  • You start steering manually.
  • You press the brake pedal.
  • The maximum speed that Autosteer supports–90 mph (150 km/h)–is exceeded.
  • You shift into a different gear.
  • A door is opened.
  • An Automatic Emergency Braking event occurs (see Collision Avoidance Assist).

I'm assuming it also cancels if your airbags deploy.

First: Do you think the fact that we were driving like sloths for several weeks prior to becoming testers colored our perception of the cars over-aggressiveness? The first night I was "Wow, this thing is aggressive!" And now the same turns and curves just don't seem as aggressive to me; they seem more like how I normally drive. Either the car has become less aggressive than the first night I had beta, or my perception of aggressiveness has changed. Thoughts?

Second: I'm dead serious here. What do you think of putting a student driver sign in the back window? I've seen joke posts on this, but I'm starting to think it's a good idea. Thoughts?

Third: It seems to me that the car often cuts the corner on right turns, but does a good job on left turns. I've had several interventions to prevent curb rash on right turns, none on left turns. Thoughts?
I think we're acclimating. When presented with a new task, we generally want to take it slowly at first, but FSD doesn't care about what we want.

Have no opinion on student driver sign.

I find that both left and right turns are squared off. It goes straight for awhile, and then has to turn really sharply and then straightens out again. This is opposed to how I would normally make a larger radius circle that connects the two roads, starting the turn earlier and ending it later. It often drives through the road debris that collects on the outside of the turns. I expect more flats.

Last edited:

1 - I'd say no. Didn't drive like a sloth although others could disagree I suppose.. I did rachet back my tendency to take curves fast as I probably wouldn't have made it otherwise. Always regen brake anyway so no change there ( the one time I had to use a brake pedal I got a ding). I see over aggressive in a couple places.
a - around tight curves. previous AP & curr beta scares the crap out of me but that is probably a control issue. It's probably no faster than when I'm doing it.
b - as others have stated, it might take its good old time going around a corner and part way though gives it much more throttle.
c - lane changes tighter than I normally do
d - agressively stops maybe 15-20 feet before a stop sign then creeps up to it. Old behavior was to aggressively stop at the line. I like a more gradual constant slow down. Comes from my ICE days trying hi-mile

2 - No. I only predict trouble & hassassment.
3 - I haven't seen that. Jerky cornering yes but none so far that I thought I'd nail the curb. I do that just fine under manual control thank-you

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
They have probably spent a lot of time finetuning left turns - and not much on right turns.

BTW, I think the right turn is very aggressive too - but only while going into higher speed roads (like one from 25 to 35), esp. after a stop. It might need to be aggressive to make it in time if there is traffic coming - but looks like they haven't much thought to right turns when there is no traffic coming from the left.

Reactions: jebinc
No one outside of Tesla knows for sure where the speed limit data comes from. See here for example:

Thread 'OpenStreetMaps and Smart Summon'
OpenStreetMaps and Smart Summon
I THINK it comes from TomTom maps, this is from dumps I've seen of the car's firmware logs. OSM/Valhalla is used for turn-by-turn routes. There's also crowdsourced speeds on highway ramps that comes from the Tesla fleet.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow and jebinc
Combined with instinctively pressing the accelerator pedal to match the current speed, it's a smoother transition from car control to manual/human control.
This comment sums up my biggest complaint with drive by wire, which precedes our Teslas. When there was linkage to the fuel pump, the accelerator pedal would already be where it needed to be, so you'd simply put your foot there to hold it before cancelling cruise control. I miss that, but it would be even more likely today with phantom braking and the traffic light beta slowing for yellow flashing signals, because you could just have your foot in the right place instead of needing to find it and having the associated harshness.

Pretty sure Tesla's speed limit database was not OSM. Speed information is pretty incomplete in OSM.
at least the map claims to be google. guess other data could come from somewhere else.

nsmail-1.jfif.png

My best overall description of FSD Beta 10.2: Compared to wide-release-AP, it's 100x better/more chill/safer at performing the previous functions (goin straight, goin through greens, stopping nice and early for reds, looking well ahead to determine lane lines and traffic, etc.) and 100x worse/scarier/more dangerous at the new stuff (swerving on turns, sideswiping traffic on dual-turn lanes, attempting murder at unprotected intersections, choosing the wrong lane to be in constantly). It's like AP to the extremes. Whereas wide-AP gets scared of an intersection, brakes, rolls up into a ball and cries itself to sleep, FSD Beta chugs a vodka-redbull, pulls it's c*** out, and says F it let's try this s***.