Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Give it a little time to self-correct and if that doesn't work simply request service on your Tesla app. They will be able to fix it remotely.

I had an update pause in mid download a few months ago because Tesla discontinued that particular release. I just happened to be caught mid download when they stopped. Service handled it remotely and pushed a new download.
Thanks man. I started a service request via the app. Scheduled for Nov 11th...ouch. Hopefully when they review the incoming requests, they'll ID this as an immediately fixable software push. Cheers everyone...be safe!

Mine went back to 36.5.1, and showing same in the app. If I was to guess, I would think the rollouts are going to happen to cars throughout the next couple of days based on the model type, equipment, etc., then on to the next model and so on.... I would be surprised if it was a massive rollout to all cars at the same time.
This aged well. 2021.36.5.3 downloading.

Oddly it looks like FSD started to go, pulled a very hard left and the driver then turned right and crossed the road into the path of the car. But he was forced to take control after FSD had put the car in a head-on facing position on the side of the road.

I still can't figure out what FSD was trying to do. The path prediction was doing a weird extending/contracting thing, then started across the road but the path then shortened completely and turned into a little nub pointing hard left. Haven't seen that before. I'm not sure what FSD was going to do next but it was the driver who chose to turn hard right and floor it across the road, he could have stopped instead and would have confused the other driver who would probably have stopped. But at least it would have avoided a near collision.

Yes, drivers monitoring FSD beta do need to stop more instead of going for it. That was a weird one.
Same situation happened to me last night after the Beta started working again. Same intersection layout. I did have the Beta set on assertive and driving set to standard (no chill). Instead of turning to the right to meet the intersecting road at a 90, the car went over the intersection lines and stopped facing toward the direction it wanted to turn. Beta though it had a shot at going, hesitated too much, then went for it, once I could tell it was going for it I hit the brakes. Was very odd that it did not line up with the intersection lines coming into the intersection. If it had gone right away it would have made it, but I feel it would still have annoyed the oncoming driver.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I'll make the claim that FSD beta with the alert drivers we have here are much safer than the masses of illegal drivers we have.
Certainly possible. I'm not sure what the relevance is though. To me the only question is whether it makes the drivers using it safer.
When I see drivers (who presumably do not regularly drive into oncoming traffic) drive into oncoming traffic it makes me doubt.
This is a bit cynical, but I have wondered if Tesla saw an oncoming regulatory storm that will shut down their beta test program, and so they accelerated it so they could gather as much data as possible to feed into Dojo before it all gets shut down.
Tesla can collect data from cars using shadow mode. My conspiracy theory is that they would be perfectly happy for public testing to be shutdown because it feeds the victimization narrative and public testing doesn't actually help speed development of FSD right now.
What I don't understand about the "massive data" advantage hypothesis is why highway FSD, which has billions of miles of data, is not driverless yet.

This morning I was directly behind a van where we were in a turning lane trying to make a left at a green light in a yield on green situation (no green arrow yet). There was oncoming traffic with only enough room for the van to make the turn but the car tried to follow the van through the turn. I had to stop it for oncoming traffic. Scary. It was completely blind behind the van but decided to go out into the intersection anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: RenaeTM and Phlier
Wild thought; maybe it would be good idea to test safety critical real time software before releasing it to the customers??
This is not a "normal" release to customers, you asked to be a beta tester, basically to test and and help improve the development of FSD. It is not ready for production and wide release to customers. It clearly states that "it may do the wrong thing at worst time" and this is a clear example that it is fully capable of doing just that. It will constantly try to kill you and that's why it is important to pay incredible attention and why they give only 1 final warning before they revoke it.
If you prefer not to beta test you can email them and ask to be removed.

I asked a highway patrol officer what one piece of advice he would give to drivers on highways. He said to avoid the left hand lane when approaching an overpass. Apparently, people going the wrong way happens fairly regularly, and they tend to move into their right lane. You can't see them if you are on the uphill side of the overpass until it's too late.

FSD was broke (does not display steering wheel, cruise turns off) this morning on the drive in (did not get rolled back). Took the fix version for a quick spin and the FSD was available, but can't be certain it was available due to fix or because car had been sitting.