Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aggravation of the morning: Nothing new but happened twice in a row and almost a problem each time. The constant "whipping" to the left to make a right turn. This is NOT okey on tight city streets with fast moving traffic. Twice in a row it tried to turn the left front end of the car into trucks to make a right turn. Even got honked at once.

This needs to be addressed and hope it is on 10.4. We are not diving a truck and trailer.

Does the FSD autopilot react to brake lights? The autopilot (non FSD) does not appear to. When I see brake lights in the distance, I'm sure like others, I anticipate slowing traffic and adjust speed accordingly. I haven't seen this issue discussed here.
Agree. I've reported this to Tesla's beta team. You may want to do the same.

Reactions: Oil Freedom
Just a guess, but did you try turning the car off for an hour ? The iPhone update just said "open" until I swiped down, then it said update, but can't speak to Android. You could disconnect and reconnect to wifi from the car. Lots of moving parts (bits). There's the whole disconnect all devices shown attached to the car, unplug all USB, and turn off also.
From what I read google play store is a PITA for developers. Sends them through hoops and takes forever. The developer of one application I use to syncronize across all my PCs, tablets, and phones stopped using it and uses F-Droid. I get my android Tesla app update from APKMirror. I did some pretty extensive research on both sites before I was willing to use them. Particularly the Tesla App one as I didn't want any rogue code getting access to my car. They appear to be well vetted. As best I can tell, the Tesla on APKMirror is updated by Tesla and is almost always one or more versions ahead of the play store.

I've had FSD Beta 10.3.1 for 2 days. It has a tendency to the right turn only lane when I am going straight. Then, it will switch lanes back to the left/middle lane at the last moment. Has anyone else had problems with this?
Every day. I have to turn off of a 55 mph highway onto a 35 mph road. There are two lanes that the car can turn into. One if is right-turn only (which is what it always chooses) and the other is the straight-away through lane (which is what the navigation wants). The car always chooses wrong and there is only about 125 until there is a traffic-light controlled intersection. The care loves to try to force its way into the straight-away through lane in the middle of the intersection at the traffic light... I just keep hitting the record button and hope they get around to it.

• Disagree
Reactions: jebinc
Does the FSD autopilot react to brake lights? The autopilot (non FSD) does not appear to. When I see brake lights in the distance, I'm sure like others, I anticipate slowing traffic and adjust speed accordingly. I haven't seen this issue discussed here.
I've actually had it speed up after a phantom slow down with cars stopped ahead. That's a bit scary. So I'd say it isn't slowing for brake lights.

What reason is there to think this?

Shocked, I tell you. Shocked. Never thought Whole Mars Catalog would do such a thing.

I like how at 4:50 an infuriated driver just drives around the Tesla, because the Tesla is stopped stupidly at a crosswalk recently vacated by a pedestrian.

He is doing a great job of representing Tesla owners everywhere. :rolleyes:

As discussed many pages ago in this thread, "Mars" is a "Shill". 🤣

Yeah, I think Elon confirmed that reacting to brake lights was coming now that the lights can be read. Will be good for the car's earlier awareness in some cases that traffic is slowing.
Have you ever spent time looking at the visualizations out of the corner of your eye when following a vehicle at night? The false positive rate for brake lights is comical sometimes. Unless it is just the visualization that is broken, this seems difficult, at least at night.

Distinguishing between brake lights and no brake lights definitely seems like it should be doable - humans are really good at it - but I have my doubts about the current implementation.

Humans look for changes in brightness as well as absolute levels, and they also use context, to determine when vehicles are braking.

And if you are really paying attention to distances you don’t have to look at brake lights at all.

Definitely good to detect them, but seems like a secondary problem and not really the solution to understanding and reacting to what traffic is doing 500-1000 feet ahead.

Have you ever spent time looking at the visualizations out of the corner of your eye when following a vehicle at night? The false positive rate for brake lights is comical sometimes. Unless it is just the visualization that is broken, this seems difficult, at least at night.

Distinguishing between brake lights and no brake lights definitely seems like it should be doable - humans are really good at it - but I have my doubts about the current implementation.

Humans look for changes in brightness as well as absolute levels, and they also use context, to determine when vehicles are braking.

And if you are really paying attention to distances you don’t have to look at brake lights at all.

Definitely good to detect them, but seems like a secondary problem and not really the solution to understanding and reacting to what traffic is doing 500-1000 feet ahead.
I recently drove a 75 mile stretch of the interstate with enough fluctuations in heavy traffic to cause slow downs from 65-70 to 25mph. When I let FSD be in full control braking would start too late and made for an uncomfortable ride. So then when I saw brake lights in the distance go on I dialed down the speed knowing the cars just in front of me would be slowing dramatically and quickly. The ride then went much better and my wife stopped complaining about how jerky the ride was. Braking based on the cars in front of me wasn't a workable solution in my opinion. Reading the traffic based on the distant brake lights is how most people drive and worked great. FSD should be able to do the same.

I recently drove a 75 mile stretch of the interstate with enough fluctuations in heavy traffic to cause slow downs from 65-70 to 25mph. When I let FSD be in full control braking would start too late and made for an uncomfortable ride. So then when I saw brake lights in the distance go on I dialed down the speed knowing the cars just in front of me would be slowing dramatically and quickly. The ride then went much better and my wife stopped complaining about how jerky the ride was. Braking based on the cars in front of me wasn't a workable solution in my opinion. Reading the traffic based on the distant brake lights is how most people drive and worked great. FSD should be able to do the same.
I think @AlanSubie4Life was implying that a computer with 3D vision should be better at judging distance and speed than a human. Even if he wasn't, the fact that it currently isn't doesn't imply that it couldn't. I am of the opinion that speed could be controlled more comfortably than it currently is in either situation and will withhold my layman's opinion regarding which would be the better solution for Tesla's NN/AI.

Reading the traffic based on the distant brake lights is how most people drive and worked great. FSD should be able to do the same.
I agree it should be able to do the same as humans, I am not saying there is no value in it. (Unfortunately FSD Beta cannot currently do this, nor will current brake light detection work for this due to false positives.)

But FSD Beta also needs to be able to monitor distances without brake lights, just like a human (and it really should be better at it since it is always paying attention). It’s quite common for brake lights to be broken. It’s also very possible for slow (but not stopped) traffic to have no brake lights at all, because they are moving at 15-30mph and not using the brakes. Good human drivers often see this 1000 feet ahead and slow down without using the brakes.

Last edited:
Braking based on the cars in front of me wasn't a workable solution in my opinion. Reading the traffic based on the distant brake lights is how most people drive and worked great. FSD should be able to do the same.
I don't agree. I do agree that understanding the distant brakelight/situation is better, but given the reaction time of the computer (vs human), FSD should be able to detect the slowing and be able to slowly down as slowly or as quickly as the car right in front of you. Maybe this is a weakness of vision only but certainly radar could do it.

This is what I do as well using the autopilot without the FSD.

Went into Boston city limits today and.... not a great environment to test FSD if you care at all about not pissing off other drivers. The car would turn on right blinker, then left, then right, for no reason and never making a lane change. Can't handle double-parked vehicles when adjacent lane is jam-packed. Basically, maneuvering requires being within a car length of your surrounding cars, and FSD is nowhere near aggressive enough to do anything but stay in lane and wildly use the blinkers. I ended up driving manually for most of it.
What FSD profile you using? I’m on assertive and it went around a partially double parked UPS truck yesterday, with oncoming lane at a standstill due to traffic. It handled it perfectly, however there were lead cars doing the same so maybe it took a queue from them. This was in Medford.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeremyJ
Haven't driven with FSD Beta at night yet, but will watch the brake light visualizations when I do.

In the middle of the day yesterday, I noticed it showed the brake lights for the car next to me waiting at a traffic light. I'm sure its brake lights were on since it was stopped, but between only seeing the side of its rear corner light and the sun shining on it, I couldn't really be sure either way just by looking at it myself.

I agree it should be able to do the same as humans, I am not saying there is no value in it. (Unfortunately FSD Beta cannot currently do this, nor will current brake light detection work for this due to false positives.)

But FSD Beta also needs to be able to monitor distances without brake lights, just like a human (and it really should be better at it since it is always paying attention). It’s quite common for brake lights to be broken. It’s also very possible for slow (but not stopped) traffic to have no brake lights at all, because they are moving at 15-30mph and not using the brakes. Good human drivers often see this 1000 feet ahead and slow down without using the brakes.
Generally agree, I think your last point is a given and I suspect FSD will eventually use a combination much like humans.

Reactions: Oil Freedom