Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couple of times today I had to intervene with the wheel, which as we all know puts us into TACC mode. In my case, I was on an incline and almost at a stop when I intervened. Surprisingly, the car started rolling backwards. It was still in D, so I think in that situation, TACC was not respecting my HOLD setting.
I have complained about TACC being left on if you do a steering wheel intervene but some people like that. 😱 For me if I intervene I want FULL manual control. I'm now working on muscle memory and hitting the gear lever up after a wheel intervention . However this has its problems too since it can often think you are wanting to shift into R or N.

I have complained about TACC being left on if you do a steering wheel intervene but some people like that. 😱 For me if I intervene I want FULL manual control. I'm now working on muscle memory and hitting the lever up. However this has its problems too since it can often think you are wanting to with into R or N.
I almost always use the brake to disengage FSD. But its a bit of a mess if we intervene because of crazy steering action ...

Reactions: Electroman
I have complained about TACC being left on if you do a steering wheel intervene but some people like that. 😱 For me if I intervene I want FULL manual control. I'm now working on muscle memory and hitting the lever up. However this has its problems too since it can often think you are wanting to with into R or N.
I'm one of those people who likes TACC to remain on after a steering wheel intervention. I'm still in control via the brake pedal. ;) And, when I'm using FSD Beta, my foot is never far away from the pedals!

I'm one of those people who likes TACC to remain on after a steering wheel intervention. I'm still in control via the brake pedal. ;) And, when I'm using FSD Beta, my foot is never far away from the pedals!
To an extent, I think it is dependent on whether someone is used to TACC or not. I've never used TACC (without lane keeping as well i.e. AP).

Currently I don't have the beta, but this Sunday my score will improve to 99. Assuming I get the invite - If I want the remote access camera from 2021.36.8, should I wait and download that first, or will the beta download trump everything?
Once you're deemed eligible you'll only get the beta pushed to you. Beta 10.4 will likely add the new features from the 36.8 branch similar to how 10.3 added stuff from 36.5, so it's unlikely you'll need to wait long anyway

I have complained about TACC being left on if you do a steering wheel intervene but some people like that. 😱 For me if I intervene I want FULL manual control. I'm now working on muscle memory and hitting the gear lever up after a wheel intervention . However this has its problems too since it can often think you are wanting to shift into R or N.
Even after 4 years I've never grown to like this behavior. Pulling on the steering wheel shouldn't hard disengage anyway, especially because its used for driver monitoring at the same time, they're overloading it. It should work like the accelerator pedal. When you push the accelerator lightly, AP zeros out its torque requests and then resumes once you let off the pedal. Steering should work like that too, if you push the steering wheel, it immediately zeros out its torque requests, and then resumes once you let off the wheel again. That way you can nudge the car back onto the right path without disengaging, it becomes cooperative.

Yes - this is the problem.

If we are supposed to monitor closely and intervene - how do we know when
- the steering wheel is just being jittery and will not cause an accident vs
- the car is going to turn the wrong way and cause an accident

Or how do we know when

- the steering wheel is just being jittery and will not hit the curb vs
- the car is going to hit the curb and damage the rim ?

Close monitoring and intervening when things seem to be going wrong can't work if the steering wheel is not true to the intentions of the car. Steering wheel movement is the quickest and most natural feedback we get from the car on its future course of action.
I try to let it do it's thing if I can but I also think even intervening if it was actually going to do the right thing in the end still helps because it shows they what it was doing was making you as a driver uncomfortable. I don't want the bar to be get me there without crashing or damaging something (that's a good start) but I want them to also get feedback that this is not comfortable or this is worrying so they can address that too. So I think either way of letting it go more or intervening when something feels sketchy helps.

Reactions: JeremyJ
I just got FSD Beta. Did a quick 3 mile drive to test it.

Very first impressions:

Visualizations are awesome!

A bit nerve racking. Definitely not use to the car making turns on its own. FSD Beta was too aggressive in turns for my taste. It was a bit unnerving to have the car just lunge and accelerate in a turn. I disengaged because it was taking a right turn too fast and too wide.

It made a left protected turn great but turned into the left lane instead of the right lane. It did not immediately move over so I manually did a lane change with the stalk to get over into the right lane.

On campus roads, the speed limit is 25 mph so since I have my speed limit set to +5 mph, FSD Beta tried to drive it at 30 mph which is way too fast. They are roads with sharp bends and lots of students walking around. So I manually reduced the TACC speed to 10 mph and it worked better. The roads don't have middle lane lines so FSD Beta did try to drive in the middle of the road even though they are 2 lanes.

It did a good job of creeping forward at stop signs before making turns.

Driving straight and stop signs and traffic lights were awesome.

I turned it on in a parking lot. It used the right turn signal early even though it was first doing a left turn. It stopped and creeped to make sharp turns. Did ok. Not as smooth as a human would. Tried to drive in the center of the parking lot isle.

Ran over a dead squirrel.

Does not turn into my residential driveway so it just stopped in the middle of the 4 lane road and nav said I had arrived. So I had to disengage and finish driving up to my house manually.

Honestly, it was 10x more stressful than manual driving or even AP. But I am sure as I get used to it, it will get better. I was nervous with AP the first time and now it is second nature. I am hopeful FSD Beta will become second nature too as I get more experience with it.

It made a left protected turn great but turned into the left lane instead of the right lane. It did not immediately move over so I manually did a lane change with the stalk to get over into the right lane.
Why would you expect it to make an illegal turn into the right lane? (At least it is illegal in Oregon.) What FSD profile, Chill/Average/Assertive, do you have selected? (Assertive won't change out of "passing" lanes unless needed for navigation or to go around slow traffic.)

In many states its illegal to make a turn into the right lane. We should make a turn to the left lane and then change lanes. Ofcourse, a lot of times this is not practiced by a lot of people.

Why would you expect it to make an illegal turn into the right lane? (At least it is illegal in Oregon.) What FSD profile, Chill/Average/Assertive, do you have selected? (Assertive won't change out of "passing" lanes unless needed for navigation or to go around slow traffic.)
In many states its illegal to make a turn into the right lane. We should make a turn to the left lane and then change lanes. Ofcourse, a lot of times this is not practiced by a lot of people.

It was set to chill.

I am not aware of that driving rule. I always turn into the right lane at that intersection. It is a T intersection with a traffic light. Traffic is stopped. I don't see why you would need to turn into the left lane first.

I am not aware of that driving rule. I always turn into the right lane at that intersection
Yeah, that's wrong. A car making an otherwise-legal right turn on red from the opposite direction will be turning into that lane, so you're increasing the chance of an accident needlessly. Most states have explicit laws to this effect, but just in general the car is doing the right thing here.

Yeah, that's wrong. A car making an otherwise-legal right turn on red from the opposite direction will be turning into that lane, so you're increasing the chance of an accident needlessly. Most states have explicit laws to this effect, but just in general the car is doing the right thing here.
California permits a left turn into any lane WHEN SAFE TO DO SO. A protected left turn on an arrow would typically have a no right on red sign on the opposite side of the intersection. But the left turn has the right of way in this particular situation, so the car making the right would likely be at fault because he/she is turning on a red light.

No. It is a T intersection. There are no cars making a right from opposite direction.

This is an older google view (they recently added traffic lights for both directions, not shown in this pic). I am coming from the bottom of the picture. When the light is red on wabash ave, I have a green light to turn left on wabash ave.

Even if you did turn into the left lane, you would immediately move over to the right lane.

PjufYdz.png

• Informative
Reactions: momo3605 and jebinc
I just took FSD beta for my first drive in Los Angeles traffic. It's not quite ready for that. Trying to make a left when there's a solid line of oncoming cars is just not possible.

Also when making a left when the two left lanes both turn - it tried to zig-zig all over the place choosing a lane to turn into. I need to take it out in less traffic, but even at 2am in LA is "busy traffic" most places

Reactions: Oil Freedom
But the left turn has the right of way in this particular situation, so the car making the right would likely be at fault because he/she is turning on a red light.
I hate when people conflate determination of fault with safe behavior. It's just not a good idea to cross lanes through an intersection like that. Don't do it. Turn into the innermost available lane from where you started and end up where other drivers expect, even (especially!) the ones not paying attention.