Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm @jebinc that with my plaid on both city and highway when I use the turn signals to change lanes that they shut off automatically after the change is completed. Just tried a bunch this morning and worked 100%
Brilliant. Glad to hear it. It was bugging me on the last release that it wasn’t working. Will maybe get to drive later this week and experience the joy myself. 😂

Fusion full scale energy is and has been less than 30 years away since 1950.

Also another AI thing that kinda scars me is when Siri came out 10 years ago it was conjectured that we would all be carrying on complete conversations with our phones in just a couple of years. Even now 10 years later I can say "Hey Siri turn off the kitchen lights" and it may respond "Playing Lights by BTS". Also Alexa and Google are just as "NOT" great.
I say "hey Google, take out the trash, I am not in the mood " , nothing happens and I end up taking it out.

"Take out the trash" is slang in Florida for spending "time" with your wife..

It definitely would be nice to have some windshield visible for context, but if I can't get the camera to record the display and an acceptable amount of windshield, I'm planning on just saving dashcam clips to get any needed outside context. But most of the time, my eyeballs are outside, recording what's going on while I'm missing what's being shown on the display... hence the need to have a recording of what FSD was displaying at the time of the event in question.

This is more for my own reference, not for context for clips being sent to Tesla... although that would certainly be useful, if I can manage to get the camera setup adequately.

My Chief Financial Officer declined my acquisition request for a GoPro. Spoilsport.
I'll try it out today to see how my Google Pixel records ... using the same mounting setup.

Tried to record with Pixel. Works fairly good - didn't move the mount, so its a little zoomed in. You can get a wider field of view by mounting further back.

One thing that may be worse off with a phone would be the motion correction. GoPro obviously does a good job of correcting for camera motion, since that's the primary job. Pixel did a fairly decent job, but not as good. Another issue is the phone kept switching the focus between the display (inside) and outside.

But hey - its $30 vs $350.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2021-11-09-10h16m41s873.png
    vlcsnap-2021-11-09-10h16m41s873.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 203
  • vlcsnap-2021-11-09-10h15m53s885.png
    vlcsnap-2021-11-09-10h15m53s885.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
I’m getting speed bump visuals but still no slowdown.
The driving behavior for speed bumps isn't to always slow down but to "attempt to go no faster than 18mph" for the longer speed humps and 6mph for shorter speed bumps. @Frenchie's latest video had 10.4 taking 3 speed humps too fast: 17mph, 20mph and 18mph; and he commented that he would prefer 16mph.

Part of it is the neural networks might be late to detect these speed bumps/humps, so it doesn't have enough time to smoothly slow down to the target speed, but more training should improve that prediction. The other aspect is that the target speed might be too high for some people. Separately, I just learned that Chicago downtown's default speed limit is 30mph, which is higher than many residential areas set to 25mph, so that could also contribute to his roughness of needing to slow down from 30mph to 18mph whereas other neighborhoods only need to slow down by 7mph instead of 12mph.

While not “full scale” at this point I think we’re about 2.5-5 years away from Fusion energy capability and it’s future influencing the trajectory of the global energy complex looking out over the next 25 years+. every 4-6 months stable plasma has been going up by 100-200% each new test. Time will tell, but it will be interesting to watch how it plays out over the next 3-5 years - and it will play out.
Yes it will. I just hope your rosy prospectus blossoms in that time frame. I fear it will not.

Reactions: impastu
The driving behavior for speed bumps isn't to always slow down but to "attempt to go no faster than 18mph" for the longer speed humps and 6mph for shorter speed bumps. @Frenchie's latest video had 10.4 taking 3 speed humps too fast: 17mph, 20mph and 18mph; and he commented that he would prefer 16mph.

Part of it is the neural networks might be late to detect these speed bumps/humps, so it doesn't have enough time to smoothly slow down to the target speed, but more training should improve that prediction. The other aspect is that the target speed might be too high for some people. Separately, I just learned that Chicago downtown's default speed limit is 30mph, which is higher than many residential areas set to 25mph, so that could also contribute to his roughness of needing to slow down from 30mph to 18mph whereas other neighborhoods only need to slow down by 7mph instead of 12mph.
At 35 mph, the car is already on top of a speed hump before braking even begins, and then it continues braking hard after it's already past the hump.

How does this square with the notion only 5 recordings are kept for upload ... ?
That could still apply even assuming the ~400MB/recording. Potentially user-initiated snapshots have a 2GB storage while Tesla-triggered snapshots have a separate (3GB?) storage. Things might have also changed since then such as maybe snapshots were 30 second clips before and now they're only 10 seconds. If only we had more details about how to use it correctly…

I believe some early FSD Beta YouTuber commented that the Autopilot team preferred snapshots that were a little bit after "the incident." I would guess this allows them to analyze what the networks predicted leading up to the situation and how it reacted, but more importantly, the "after" probably allows better autolabelling based on the future, e.g., an inappropriately taken turn can be improved by getting a better view of the "future" destination.

I can confirm FSD Beta 10.4 slowed down to 18mph for (white chevron) speed humps and 6mph for (yellow) speed bumps while also visualizing them. I found this "challenge mode" ;) test for FSD Beta:
View attachment 730757
Both speed bumps + crosswalk in between + stop sign visualized. Just missing the 15mph sign although map data did already know it should be 15mph.

View attachment 730760View attachment 730761

Speed hump with horizontal lines before and chevron on top seem to get detected fine. Although I did get this false positive where the sidewalk was detected as a speed bump.
Finally saw detection of a speed bump.

The bump is painted yellow, in a parking lot. We don't have many of those around here to test FSD on.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2021-11-09-10h31m03s168.png
    vlcsnap-2021-11-09-10h31m03s168.png
    165.7 KB · Views: 62
That could still apply even assuming the ~400MB/recording. Potentially user-initiated snapshots have a 2GB storage while Tesla-triggered snapshots have a separate (3GB?) storage. Things might have also changed since then such as maybe snapshots were 30 second clips before and now they're only 10 seconds. If only we had more details about how to use it correctly…

I believe some early FSD Beta YouTuber commented that the Autopilot team preferred snapshots that were a little bit after "the incident." I would guess this allows them to analyze what the networks predicted leading up to the situation and how it reacted, but more importantly, the "after" probably allows better autolabelling based on the future, e.g., an inappropriately taken turn can be improved by getting a better view of the "future" destination.
Do you know who the youtuber was ? May be we can ask them to contact again and get the current answer.

I think the limit of 5 (or whatever) is quite important. We can then prioritize and send the ones we want to - or even send different ones on different days.

What Tesla should do is to
- Let us view the reports we are sending
- Add details to each incident
- Track what the status of each incident report is

Basically crowdsource incident details rather than pay someone to "guess".

• Love
Reactions: Phlier
Very close call today trying to make a right hand turn. FSD stopped and crept forward enough to stop for the first of two cars. I'm thinking good. FSD then starts to pull out with a car only 96 feet away going 35-40mph. 2nd time this has happened. Always have my foot hovering over the brake since visibility is obstructed. Would really like to know how well the front camera sees to the left since the B pillar probably could not see the car with the tree partially obstructing the view. I always have to lean way forward to see past the tree. And at an intersection like this with poor visibility I always steer the car slightly to the right before stopping. Turning slightly right allows for greater visibility without the nose of the car too far into the intersection. FSD has to stay perpendicular to the road otherwise the front camera sees less down the road to the left. Another reminder how important camera location is and where FSD falls short. I wonder if Tesla will be forced in the future to revisit the number and location of cameras?

T intersection without a stop sign. Per the usual FSD approaches the intersection slightly to the left of the unmarked center line. That alone causes problems for anyone who wants to turn down the street. So later on I go back to take a photo and had a good laugh when I turned around and there was a real student driver waiting for me to take the picture. He wasn't close at all just a caution driving instructor having his student stop way back from the intersection.:)

20211109_125149.jpg

Last edited:

Unfortunately that is not true in my case. There is no slowing whatsoever. speed bumps in my neighborhood require 5-6 mph to not be jarring. i have set all sorts of speeds above that (10, 15, 20, 25) and in all cases there is no slowdown, even after the bump.

Often drives won't cause anything significant to get uploaded now unless I manually trigger a snapshot
That's quite different from what I've seen with our vehicles -- notably wife doesn't use FSD Beta at all (and I'm pretty sure she doesn't press the snapshot button) and the Y still uploads on average 3.3GB/day since getting 10.3.1 2 weeks ago. So maybe Autopilot team is more aggressively sending out triggers to collect data from the Y compared to the 3?

If you want to test out speed humps, check out 216th-218th where it curves twice with 5 speed humps in close proximity. Bonus is you can test the roundabout there too.

Any traffic calming: node[traffic_calming]({{bbox}});out;
Just bumps/humps: node[traffic_calming~'ump$']({{bbox}});out;
Now that I think about it, there are a couple on a downhill street nearby - I should checkout. Just simple speed bump - nothing complicated.

Went and checked Reddit for 10.4 feedback. Surprising number of negative comments.
10.4 is horrible for me. Yesterday I got so pissed off with it I had to stop using it. Decided to start fresh today, have made maybe 10 drives today, only used it on the first 6 drives. It was able to complete 1 4 way stop that it just had to go straight and one right turn (which is did from the far left side of a wide road) every other intersection I had to take over. I don't know what happened but it is so so bad where I am now. Just an example, was at a 4way intersection with traffic lights, trying to make an unprotected left there was a truck coming from opposite direction waiting to make a right turn and a family in the crosswalk preventing us from turning. The family was almost clear of the crosswalk, the truck was half way in the intersection starting to make his turn, I am sitting all the way back behind the stop line as usual. This is when my car decides to go for it and hard, it accelerated rapidly and I had to hit the brakes. The stuff I am experiencing is just mind boggling stupid stuff, multiple times trying to pull out in front of cars, today it was displaying garbage cans in the road where their were none and it was a lot of them for a good stretch of road, showing them in the middle of the lane on the other side of the road. I guess the way I look at the silver lining in this is if they can make it this much worse in one update, they theoretically can make it the same amount better in an update.

....Would really like to know how well the front camera sees to the left since the B pillar probably could not see the car with the tree partially obstructing the view. I always have to lean way forward to see past the tree.....
Cameras can't lean and this is a little concerning for the future of FSD. We have an ability to put or head at all kind of angles and manage to see over, under, around or even through "peep holes". Unfortunately cameras can never do this and if the angle of the car changes the cameras are "stuck" with this new angle even if it is an inferior view. I still feel the B-pillars are at a disadvantage and would like to see 4 bumper cameras.

EDIT: Also I made the line too long. It should stop at the lighter blue arc more to the front. The line is including B Pillar overlap.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 2.57.17 PM.png

Last edited:
Guess this would be an edge case.
Back road but side white stripes and double yellow center. Maybe 400 yards in front of me a large truck, one of those with large flat beds to haul construction equipment is coming the other way. For some reason, the truck pulls in to my lane. Yeah, opposing traffic. Comes to a stop and puts his flashers on. But I'm not slowing down. Maybe FSD will do a hard stop, but I disengaged and hit the camera. See what the engineers make of that.

10.4 is kind of a clunker for me.

On the upside it seems to see (but not always react to) speed bumps, which is neat. It also does fewer terrifying things.

But wow it does way more irritating stuff. Trying to pass vehicles it shouldn’t, stopping WAY behind intersection lines, etc.

It’s a bit of a mess.

Thats not how it works normally - you press the accelerator when its hesitating, FSD will go forward.
I agree, that's why I said "right logic in the wrong place type situation." I know a Model 3 owner without FSD who insists that the Model 3 stopped at a red light on its own one time and went when the light turned green. Never again and never since, but there was a passenger to corroborate the story. I've seen plenty of other odd one-off Tesla behavior myself prior to getting FSD beta. More to the original point regarding similar experiences, I had a 2006 vehicle with TACC & EBA stop for a small hazard in the road. That isn't what EBA or TACC are expected to do (especially in 2006), and I didn't touch the brakes. All I can figure is TACC hit the brakes and the EBA assisted with them. A 2006 vehicle isn't a computer on wheels, and one should expect it to have stable behavior that has been rigorously tested. Tesla's programming, is almost certainly far more complex and it doesn't seem unreasonable at all to believe that the wrong subroutine could be hit on rare occasion.
Wow, another blast from the past. I don't even remember when I started saying "Celsius"... Maybe that was after getting out of the military?
Just a wild guess, but maybe around the time the US dropped plans to switch over to metric? The term centigrade is clearly metric and may have had some political feelings tied to it accordingly.

Another city driving critique. Driving on West Peachtree Street in midtown, 1 way (north) and 4 to 6 lanes wide. Was going to be on it for a while and turn left in over 10 blocks ahead. As soon as I get on it FSD heads straight to the far left lane which is obtuse. In the city it is best to avoid the outside lanes unless you are about to turn. Within 1 block there was a car double parked so FSD had to wait to go around. Then it immediately got back into the left lane and then got stuck behind cars turning left. I took over and moved over 1 lane and cut FSD back on. Right back over it goes with cars double parked ½ a block ahead that I could CLERLY see. Took over and stayed to pass them and cut on and right back over with construction blocking the lane ½ block ahead agin in plain sight. Then it tried again with a truck double parked. I gave up and drove to the turn. It needs to do a better job anticipating and judging what congested city streets are like.