Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok - went for a quick drive.

Overall - apart from UI - not very different from 10.6.1.
- Same jittery behavior at roundabouts. Stops before proceeding slowly.
- Right turn from a stop has improved over the course of releases and there isn't much, if any, jittery wheel jerking.
- One improvement: Didn't stop at the yellow flashing light at a crosswalk near the school. Need confirmation.
- Map changes I made in TomTom haven't yet flowed down the car
- Blind spot camera doesn't turn on when the car takes turns. So, can't use it as curb-camera. Didn't have any lane changes ...
- There is a button on navigation window next to cancel, not sure what it does. May be if switched off, it acts like old EAP - like the NOA button on freeways?
- There is no longer the wider visualization i.e. the visualization window doesn't expand when in FSD. But you can drag the window to cover the entire screen.

ps : No idea why Elon would call this "11".

View attachment 747968
And 10.7 was supposed to be game changing! 😆🤣

Just completed my first 10.8 drive. Overall very solid - but I was focused on one specific area that is unfortunately not improved in 10.8.

I'm curious for other people's experience with this. There are two three way intersections in my neighborhood (each with only a single stop sign). When my car approaches these stop signs to make an unprotected left turn, the behavior is pretty awful:

1. The car stops waaaay before the intersection. I understand this is because there is no line at the intersection, so it has to guess where to stop. But it's not even close.
  2. It then begins a very slow creep towards the intersection. Meanwhile, I can clearly see that there is no cross traffic approaching, and the car's b pillar cams have an unobstructed view.
  3. More hesitation, more steering wheel jiggle, more creeping, often into the intersection. Plenty of visibility, and clear to me that no cross traffic is approaching.
  4. Finally when it's completely in the middle of the intersection, it makes up its mind and turns left.
This behavior is not consistent for all intersections. I've had better luck at other similar intersections, although it is still much more hesitant than a human driver.

Anyone else have a similar experience? It's actually one of the major remaining issues that makes FSD Beta unusable for my commute/drive.

EDIT - here's one of the intersections. Sorry for the terrible scribbling - the intersection is circled, and the arrow shows the direction I'm approaching to the stop sign.

I think one contributing factor is that the cross street bends out of view, so I suppose it's possible a car could unexpectedly come through at an extremely high rate of speed. As you can see that cross street in a cul-de-sac and there is hardly any traffic, so I just know that I'm not going to see 50 mph cross traffic. But I suppose FSD doesn't take this into consideration?

View attachment 747863
I'm not on 10.8 yet (10.6.1, I think), but your left turn description is spot on. I find myself talking to the car. "It's okay, you can go now." "c'mon--you can do this." "Dammit! Go!"

can't believe you 10.6 miscreants are getting and leaving me (& presumably other) with 10.5

Currently pondering how much more time to give that Musk feller before I send $10 to Lizzy Warren
Here are the current Teslafi numbers.

10.8 : 131
10.6.1 : 1,164
10.5 : 600

10.8 rollout has paused, I guess waiting for feedback from 10% or so who have got it. Once they confirm there are no major issues, they will roll out to the rest.

There is a youtube channel that shows up in my "recommended" videos that has "Game Over !!!" or something like that on every video.

ps : We have to wait for people who had lots of issues like umpteen phantom braking etc to see if anything has significantly improved to for them. Planning to go on longer drives today - should give a better indication to me as well.

Definitely not worth jumping back in for.

Like @EVNow mentioned turns were smoother. That's really the big one I have noticed so far. It's certainly more incremental then revolutionary.

I tried to snag a dashcam clip to share with y'all where it REALLY mishandled the transition from NoA to FSD Beta and in that moment realized the dashcam button is now a widget instead of a permanent fixture.

PSA: If you like the dashcam button add it to one of your three available "permanent" slots.

I personally would rather not randomly honk to record a clip...

Just took 10.8 out for a very short test through my least favorite combination corners mentioned earlier.
First one, the left hander that isn't a junction was even worse than it was on 10.6.1 - that is a new level of bad. It just stopped in the middle of the corner.
But the next one which is a right turn it took without undue hesitation, but it was still jerking the wheel left and right in the corner, but at least it got round without stopping.
Then the stop which is a right turn only yielding to the left (which is dead end and no traffic). It basically froze if there were any other cars on the road.
Finally another left turn with a yield which it took really well. 10.6.1 broke this particular corner that 10.5 did really well. So thats an improvement.
One definite improvement is changing the location of the most used onscreen button for FSD testers - the snapshot icon - is now easy to hit without accidentally hitting driver profiles.

Initial leg of my 1st drive was better than previous version but then on the way home I had a couple of phantom braking events and then it tried to take a right turn into my subdivision at 40mph. It actually moved over the double line into oncoming lane a bit (with traffic there) to make a super wide right turn in to the subdivision and didn't brake at all until it was halfway through turn. When I took over it was basically in the oncoming lane of my subdivision. It has never done anything like that before so it was a big/sudden shock. Wow lol. Be careful out there!

Just went for another short test drive.

Two right turns at the traffic light, the turn was a little wide. Too close to the waiting traffic - disengaged. PS: I should mention this has happened before at this particular right turn.

Got the usual FSD may be unavailable because of rain.

On the plus side it took an unprotected left into a strip mall after moving to the turning lane and waiting there. Even made it through the twisty road in the parking lot.

Last edited:
Two right turns at the traffic light, the turn was a little wide. Too close to the waiting traffic - disengaged.
Interesting. I just got 10.8 and haven't taken it out yet, but all previous versions have taken right turns far to tight for me. I'm always intervening to prevent curb rash. It never seemed to understand curbs that were right angled-- a lot around here-- as opposed to curved curb corners.

Reactions: impastu
Interesting. I just got 10.8 and haven't taken it out yet, but all previous versions have taken right turns far to tight for me. I'm always intervening to prevent curb rash. It never seemed to understand curbs that were right angled-- a lot around here-- as opposed to curved curb corners.
I should mention this has happened before at this particular right turn.

The turn is from a 40 mph to a 35 mph road from a turn lane. The car is probably taking the turns too fast.

Reactions: impastu
A
Although yeah, just TACC would have the blue "MAX" in the corner?
This is a good comparison.

The Autopilot icon that used to appear underneath the acceleration/braking line has been moved up next to the gear selection.

In order for the Autopilot icon to visually fit in that area, it's now much smaller, having about the same height as gear letters themselves.

I'd like them to move the steering wheel back next to the TACC speed setting ("Max") - then it can be as large as before / a little bigger.

1640396581557.png

Reactions: edseloh