Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question- I just recently got the 10.8 beta, Feb 2021 MYLR. One thing that seems to happen a lot is just randomly the car tells me to "take over now!" and shows the large hands on the wheel icon and beeps loudly. I have these happen 4 or 5 times every time I use FSD Beta. Am I supposed to report these? Is it something I'm doing thats causing them? It seems like it happens when the system loses confidence in what its about to do, but I'm not sure how to react/report (aside from taking over, obviously). I didn't get any emails or information from Tesla about what to report, or even really how to report, but I just figured that out from watching videos. Thanks!

Reactions: edseloh and impastu
10.8 - Seems like some mild improvement at 4-way stops when there are other cars around, takes its turn a little quicker, at least the few times I encountered this situation in the last couple days. However, if the intersection is completely clear, it’ll pick the nearest parked car on the cross street, mark it blue, and wait for like 3-5 seconds before proceeding :rolleyes:

Question- I just recently got the 10.8 beta, Feb 2021 MYLR. One thing that seems to happen a lot is just randomly the car tells me to "take over now!" and shows the large hands on the wheel icon and beeps loudly. I have these happen 4 or 5 times every time I use FSD Beta. Am I supposed to report these? Is it something I'm doing thats causing them? It seems like it happens when the system loses confidence in what its about to do, but I'm not sure how to react/report (aside from taking over, obviously). I didn't get any emails or information from Tesla about what to report, or even really how to report, but I just figured that out from watching videos. Thanks!
Oh good, I thought that was just me having that issue last night.

When I look at the notifications, (Menu-> Service -> Notifications) the explanatory text says that "Cruise control unavailable" (DI_a175) followed with a notification of "Autosteer temporarily unavailable" (APP_w207), each with a link to the owners manual. That referenced that it could be a sensor error if it keeps occurring. Some googling shows that the cruise control unavailable notification was also a bug in previous software releases as well.

Fingers crossed that it is just a software bug since I have not seen it at all today. I did do a power reset process that seemed to help some people (Google) that involved disabling sentry, unplugging USB and letting the car sleep.

I've been waiting for reports of other people on 10.8 to see this in the hopes it is just software. If it kept happening with it only happening to me, I was going to schedule a service visit.

Are you seeing the same notifications?

TL;DR Disable sentry, let car sleep, cross fingers and hope that fixes it.

Last edited:
Usually this happens when the map is wrong or when the weather is bad. I’ve not seen reports of this happening regularly - may be you should do a camera calibration.

I had that issue this morning too. FSD arrived at a stop sign with no other cars on the road and it just waited and waited, then just as another car approached the junction FSD decided to go for it - except it wasn't a 4way stop. My hard braking intervention prevented FSD from getting us t-boned.
10.8 seems like some improved things, others not so much.
I have this happen to me about 25% of the time at the same intersection. Try after every new build and no improvement yet. Car approaching from the left becomes available just as it passes a tree 96 feet from the intersection. Foot is always on the brake pedal so lots of disengagements.

For me at least 10.8 is one step forward and two steps back. Maybe more like no step forward. Only positive is the highway and a little less phantom breaking but that is offset by an increase in braking responding rather poorly to what other cars are doing or not going to do. After 10.6.1 was a significant improvement I was really looking forward to 10.8. I really haven't see any real improvement though but will keep driving until I find something.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu
it seems that the cutoff has been 65mph. Above that its the AP stack, below it is the FSD stack. Although I've noticed that going from FSD->AP is always 65, sometimes the AP->FSD as been 60.
I was just curious if it also used the highway designation to use AP. Its difficult to tell here because I don't have a highway with a <65 limit
Actually just typing that now made me realize I'm conflating highway and interstate :D

I'm taking an after-Christmas road trip from Charlotte to Chicago, and driving on a variety of roads in several different states, where the car switches from FSD Beta (10.8) to NoA, and back, has convinced me that there is no easily-discernable rhyme or reason to it.

• On true interstates (I-nn designations), and limited access highways that for all intents and purposes interstates just without the "I", it always uses NoA
  • On "downtown" style city streets, it uses FSD Beta
  • On some roads in southeastern and northwestern Ohio, that I though would not count as highways for various reasons--designation, 45 and 55 mph speed limits, even cross roads (!)--it also used NoA.
  • In northern Indiana, they have this strange type of road that is 70mph, but has stop lights and other cross roads that have stop signs, and it used FSB Beta on almost all of them.
On the bright side, it switched back and forth between the two very smoothly every time, and I became so comfortable with FSD Beta driving on "highways" that the only time I too over was because of poor behavior of other drivers, or inside cities (like the double-roundabout just west of the supercharger in Dublin, OH.)

I would try to clean the sensors and cameras for a few days to see if that helps. Also, recalibrate cameras as another suggested. Absent progress I would have mobile service come and test the sensors. Maybe something faulty.

Reactions: powertoold
I'm taking an after-Christmas road trip from Charlotte to Chicago, and driving on a variety of roads in several different states, where the car switches from FSD Beta (10.8) to NoA, and back, has convinced me that there is no easily-discernable rhyme or reason to it.

• On true interstates (I-nn designations), and limited access highways that for all intents and purposes interstates just without the "I", it always uses NoA
  • On "downtown" style city streets, it uses FSD Beta
  • On some roads in southeastern and northwestern Ohio, that I though would not count as highways for various reasons--designation, 45 and 55 mph speed limits, even cross roads (!)--it also used NoA.
  • In northern Indiana, they have this strange type of road that is 70mph, but has stop lights and other cross roads that have stop signs, and it used FSB Beta on almost all of them.
On the bright side, it switched back and forth between the two very smoothly every time, and I became so comfortable with FSD Beta driving on "highways" that the only time I too over was because of poor behavior of other drivers, or inside cities (like the double-roundabout just west of the supercharger in Dublin, OH.)
around here it does the flip flop when it hits 65mph speed limits, then back again when it drops below 60-65. So a divided highway that starts out at 50 would get FSD until the speed limit changed to 65 which is when it switches to old stack AP. It has usually been pretty seamless, but because FSD is "stateless" it has no clue what happened even a second before the switch happened so it can be a little "unpredictable"
Sooner or later they might switch to single stack, but I'm dreading that. AP has been pretty good on highways etc, I'd hate to get the current FSD behavior when the car is doing 70mph 😱

So a divided highway that starts out at 50 would get FSD until the speed limit changed to 65 which is when it switches to old stack AP. It has usually been pretty seamless
I think the main distinction for NoA-supported highways is whether they're controlled access (i.e., no at-grade crossings for perpendicular traffic). There's some highways around here that switch between sections with interchanges and cross traffic, and NoA would turn on and off previously showing a warning but not anymore with FSD Beta.

There's actually a curvy mountain highway with 65mph speed limit like interstates, but it's not controlled access, so FSD Beta is active instead of NoA. FSD Beta 10.8 handled it just fine although I didn't have situations with crossing traffic pulling in front of me at those speeds. In fact, as we're traveling in a full 3rd row Y with family, I only turned on FSD Beta on these highways as indeed city street driving can be uncomfortable. The only "problem" is that I've set Autopilot to use the speed limit without offset/percentage to avoid driving too quickly on residential streets with incorrect map speed limits, so I needed to manually adjust the set speed each time the highway speed limit changed among 65, 55, etc.

I'm not surprised that Tesla wants to simplify their stacks and apply the benefits of FSD Beta to places where NoA would normally drive as it already seems to handle these situations as good or even better in nominal situations, e.g., better road curvature detection for smoother turns and 360º unified moving object predictions for better lane changes. I wonder if the more complicated stack to remove is smart summon / parking lots as FSD Beta definitely struggles there much more than highways.

Reactions: Jeff N and impastu
I think the main distinction for NoA-supported highways is whether they're controlled access (i.e., no at-grade crossings for perpendicular traffic). There's some highways around here that switch between sections with interchanges and cross traffic, and NoA would turn on and off previously showing a warning but not anymore with FSD Beta.

There's actually a curvy mountain highway with 65mph speed limit like interstates, but it's not controlled access, so FSD Beta is active instead of NoA. FSD Beta 10.8 handled it just fine although I didn't have situations with crossing traffic pulling in front of me at those speeds. In fact, as we're traveling in a full 3rd row Y with family, I only turned on FSD Beta on these highways as indeed city street driving can be uncomfortable. The only "problem" is that I've set Autopilot to use the speed limit without offset/percentage to avoid driving too quickly on residential streets with incorrect map speed limits, so I needed to manually adjust the set speed each time the highway speed limit changed among 65, 55, etc.

I'm not surprised that Tesla wants to simplify their stacks and apply the benefits of FSD Beta to places where NoA would normally drive as it already seems to handle these situations as good or even better in nominal situations, e.g., better road curvature detection for smoother turns and 360º unified moving object predictions for better lane changes. I wonder if the more complicated stack to remove is smart summon / parking lots as FSD Beta definitely struggles there much more than highways.
This isn't NOA - talking about AP. As its name implies, Navigate On Autopilot just adds navigate features to Autopilot and only works on highways/interstates.
In Texas, a 65mph speed limit triggers the switch from FSD to old stack AP, so 65mph means its not on FSD any longer.
I took the advice from someone here and created a driver profile that has FSD disabled so I can engage autopilot only - sadly it still uses vision so is plagued by all the issues from that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: impastu and EVNow
Sooner or later they might switch to single stack, but I'm dreading that. AP has been pretty good on highways etc, I'd hate to get the current FSD behavior when the car is doing 70mph 😱
I’ve been saying this for a while - I don’t know what single stack fans are thinking when they ask for single stack. They are going to regret it.

Hopefully Tesla won’t release single stack until FSD beta is as good as NOA in terms of avg disengagements per trip.

I’ve been saying this for a while - I don’t know what single stack fans are thinking when they ask for single stack. They are going to regret it.

Hopefully Tesla won’t release single stack until FSD beta is as good as NOA in terms of avg disengagements per trip.
I wonder how Tesla will handle parking lots with a single stack? Whatever they do I suspect it will be phased in. I see lots of questions and controversies in the future with Summon.
  • Will single stack include parking lots or will that be a second phase of single stack?
  • How will parking lot summon change?
  • Will the summon restricted distance be increased?
  • How will drivers manage the potential for increased risk when summon functionality is expanded?
  • Parking garages? I'll skip this option!
  • etc.

Reactions: impastu
That's what it seems like Tesla is aiming for with so many 10.x betas "delaying" 11. For Tesla to release single stack is a milestone in that they believe their new approach for neural networks, planning, etc. is better than the production real-world extensively tested existing Autopilot/NoA capability. (Or at least in some conditions… It'll be interesting to see if a single stack release falls back to old behavior for poor weather.)