Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven around it .. its why my hair is white now...
What would FSD do here … ;)

1645315634868.jpeg

Some improvements here and there, but man, 10.10.2 is still a menace on the roads near me.

* 10.10.2 fixes the reverse camera lag that 10.8.2 had (woohoo).

* One nice moment was when there were a bunch of pedestrians and cars competing at a 4 way stop - after letting a few cars pass due to pedestrians, FSD beta chose an appropriate time to become impatient and assert its right of way. I wish it did this in more conditions. At the next intersection it yielded to a bunch of pedestrians and did not take its turn when a 2 more stopped to wait. I gave it a few seconds to react and it stayed stopped.

* Marking parked cars as blue - it still does that at random 4-way stops, but usually only for a second compared to previously. Seems to help it move through some stop signs sooner. I wish it were more consistent.

* One bad trait that 10.10.2 seems to have is it will brake hard early, and then ease up to the line. Short block between stop signs - it will brake firmly around the 80% mark and then crawl the last 20%. Did this a handful of times. Worse on downhill sections.

* Somehow drives both further left in its lane than is comfortable and yet further right at the same time. On a well-marked road with a wide lane it consistently threatened to squeeze itself between the car ahead and the parked cars to the right (10.8.1 was well-centered here). On the wider than normal unmarked road near me, it swings too far left, like it used to before 10.5.

* … and yet it does not take a noticeable arc around pedestrians near parked cars, unlike prior versions. A handful of times it passed such people with a smaller buffer than I was comfortable with.

* I mentioned some weird lane selection regression with the new maps and 10.8.1, and 10.10.2 does not address it in any way. I let it roll all the way up to where the current lane becomes a turn lane, and it still did not react, so I disengaged and merged right myself.

* Slowed for a truck parked diagonally with its nose pointed into the street (truck was barely sticking out behind the parallel parked cars). No one around so I let it. It braked, accelerated, braked again. Didn’t stop, but marked the truck as dark gray a couple times. Still struggling with distinguishing parked cars from moving ones I guess.

* I recall this behavior flipping back and forth, but 10.10.2 does not immediately jump into new turn lanes as I probably would. Instead it will slide over into them over the solid line, at least if there are no cars. I thought it was going to miss the turn. 10.8.1 would immediately move into the lane similar similar to how I would do it, though maybe a bit more aggressively than me. Need something in between the two I think.

Last edited:
10.10.2, daylight, dry roads, FSD average, chill mode, speed set to posted speed limit,4 mile test road I have driven each time, light to no traffic. Stops and right turns at T intersection from a full stop (stop sign) are better. Good speed control on entering and exiting right and left curves although still coming very close to and sometimes crossing the yellow center line on the right curves (both sharp 70-90 degree and shallow). Right 90 degree T intersection (no stop sign) while moving it stayed in its lane on entering and came close to crossing yellow line on exit but did not cross the centerline. On second drive on different road everything was done as on previous version however an unprotected left turn on a two lane road was done much better that before (this surprised me), I am only referring to the way it did the turn not decisions about when to turn, there was no traffic.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Tried my usual route on 10.10.2, only saw regressions over 10.8.1. Car tried to go on a red light twice (the through lane turned green but car had a red arrow for its turn lane). When driving down a straight empty road it slowly edged over the center double yellow line and then moved back again. It used to get into the outer left turn lane to make an immediate right after turning, now it chooses the inner lane and is forced to make a hasty lane change.

My daughter's last FSD drive was months ago...let's say 10.4(ish). I downloaded 10.10.2 Friday and we trekked out on some errands. Marietta -> Mid-town Atlanta -> Buckhead and back. The route had a healthy mix of road types, congestion levels, turns, and intersections. Started at dusk and ended at night. I was very impressed...few interventions and just one disengagement. Overall, FSD's performance was smoother and more confident than previous builds.

Multiple times she looked over and said, "Oh wow, that was FSD?" She could really tell the difference between the older build and 10.10.2. Because we're evaluating each individual release, we think miss the long-game improvements.

Has anyone else have a similar experience with passengers whose rides spanned many releases?

Haven't drove in 10.10.2 since I've installed it.

Any phantom braking improvements?
Not here, I have a 1 mile stretch near my neighborhood I have been complaining about for 5 months, it phantom brakes 6 to 7 times, just tried 10.10.2, sadly no changes. On the bright side, no more than usual... progress????
Drunk driving mode was much better than the prior release...

My daughter's last FSD drive was months ago...let's say 10.4(ish). I downloaded 10.10.2 Friday and we trekked out on some errands. Marietta -> Mid-town Atlanta -> Buckhead and back. The route had a healthy mix of road types, congestion levels, turns, and intersections. Started at dusk and ended at night. I was very impressed...few interventions and just one disengagement. Overall, FSD's performance was smoother and more confident than previous builds.

Multiple times she looked over and said, "Oh wow, that was FSD?" She could really tell the difference between the older build and 10.10.2. Because we're evaluating each individual release, we think miss the long-game improvements.

Has anyone else have a similar experience with passengers whose rides spanned many releases?
Similar experience here. Rather impressive improvement over versions. Some choose to only hunt for issues, I choose to appreciate the continued improvements. As long as it continues moving forward I am pleased. Use FSD Beta almost exclusively now and use common sense where we identify questionable paths that might be edge or unusual circumstance possibilities. Contribute to beta or complain about it, everyone has their own agenda.

I'm glad you raised this issue. I have be wondering myself if those of us how have been using FSD through several iterations are possibility not seeing the changes because they are very gradual. The drive I did this morning felt better but the question is always the reason it felt better, was it because it was safer, smoother, more human or have I become accustom to the way FSD drives ( like a teenage first time driver). It is now possible to say the former may be true as opposed to the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1