Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
first drive on this release today over my torture test route.
Some previously appalling junctions were significantly better, all the yields that it always mistook for 4way stops where significantly worse now that it comes to a full and complete stop - most annoying.
Overall, right turns at green lights where much better. 4-way stops were a combination of much better for some and creeping through at <5mph for others. Best of the yields was a sub-second stop before proceeding, but most were treated like stop signs.
Left turns at lights were also noticeably better then 10.10.2
I'll have to see how it does this weekend when I drive my route that has gazillions of PB evens mostly from tar marks on the road - I'm quite hopeful for this as they called that issue out in the notes.

Better.
I'm generally a bit disapponted with new releases but 10.11.2 has been an improvement "for me". As some others have noted it made decisions quicker although I agree not every decision was correct. Today I drove on roads I've never used FSD on before and it did reasonably well plus I also found it simply helpful with navigation. Not sure it's possible but it was actually easier than if I just decided to drive on my own. I believe that can be contributed to just knowing FSD's indiosyncrasies and where it's likely to screw up.

Continued to perform well on highways especially staying in the right lane and moving over much sooner than it used to. I think that's partially because I was exiting to other major highways and NoA probably prioritizes getting to the exit lane. Moving over to the exit happened between 1.5 miles and 1 mile to the exit. No longer do I wonder if I'll make the exit ramp. I prefer the conservative approach here.

The Bad:
  • Still stops at roundabouts. I simply use the accelerator hoping Tesla will upload the data and see how it should be done. Enter the large roundabouts between 15-20mph if no cars are coming. Going around the rotary is a bit better but still can be rather jerky.
  • Still stops too far from some Stop signs and at some intersections then takes about an hour to creep and finally to go. I don't understand why FSD doesn't just go right to the edge of the cross street and then decide. That is exactly how it works on the roads in my neighborhood that DON"T have Stop signs and it works really well. After all that is how humans drive. The way it works now is particularly problematic when the Stop sign is 20+ feet from the intersection. For those intersections I don't even bother letting FSD try even without cars behind me since it takes so long to actually do anything and often I don't have the patience.
  • Phantom braking still continues on one 1/2 mile road. Speed limit is 30mph and FSD will never go that speed no matter how high I make the maximum speed. It does a leisurely 25-28mph unless I over ride with the accelerator pedal. I have no idea why this is the only road I drive that performs like this. At least it doesn't brake just drives way to slow and not always in the right hand lane. No center line.
Tomorrow I have my weekly 175 mile drive which will be a good barometer. Mostly highway but still an excellent way to compare changes.

Last edited:
Phantom braking still continues on one 1/2 mile road. Speed limit is 30mph and FSD will never go that speed no matter how high I make the maximum speed. It does a leisurely 25-28mph unless I over ride with the accelerator pedal. I have no idea why this is the only road I drive that performs like this. At least it doesn't brake just drives way to slow and not always in the right hand lane. No center line.
Is it a winding road ?

Reactions: aronth5
I found another new problem with 10.11.2. If the car approaches an intersection that has a U-turn lane on the left just before the intersection, the car may try to take the U-turn instead of the intended left turn. It appears like the vision sees the U-turn lane, assumes it is the left turn and overrides the map data. I suspect this is a specific case of a general tendency to take an incorrect left that is available just before the intended left. This is quite annoying as the only correction disengages FSD beta so you cannot test the correct left turn performance.

I guess there's always the next version...

Make sure you report these back via the FSD report button.
Has anyone else had problems with the FSD button? i try to report it when FSD makes mistakes but it always takes 2-3 taps to actually hit the button at the right spot so it sends a report. That combined with the fact that I'm usually preoccupied with correcting whatever mistake FSD made and avoiding an accident means I'm a half mile down the road by the time the report actually gets sent.

Reactions: spokey
Has anyone else had problems with the FSD button? i try to report it when FSD makes mistakes but it always takes 2-3 taps to actually hit the button at the right spot so it sends a report. That combined with the fact that I'm usually preoccupied with correcting whatever mistake FSD made and avoiding an accident means I'm a half mile down the road by the time the report actually gets sent.
^^^^This.

Ski

I found another new problem with 10.11.2. If the car approaches an intersection that has a U-turn lane on the left just before the intersection, the car may try to take the U-turn instead of the intended left turn. It appears like the vision sees the U-turn lane, assumes it is the left turn and overrides the map data. I suspect this is a specific case of a general tendency to take an incorrect left that is available just before the intended left. This is quite annoying as the only correction disengages FSD beta so you cannot test the correct left turn performance.

I guess there's always the next version...
Have you let the car try and make the U-Turn? Just wondering how well it did.

also have this - it was even worse then it was right next to the driver profile.
I do remember them saying to wait a few moments after the incident before hitting the button but can't remember where I read it.

I do remember them saying to wait a few moments after the incident before hitting the button but can't remember where I read it.
The video snapshot button seems to send 30 second clips back to Tesla, so I've been counting to 10 after some interesting situation before pressing the button. This gives Tesla (and the autolabeler) more context and multiple views that are more diverse in time and position (assuming the car was moving). This matches up with what TesLatino / Rafael was told by Tesla back in 2020:

So there shouldn't be a huge rush and struggle to push the variably-placed button on the touch screen.

The video snapshot button seems to send 30 second clips back to Tesla, so I've been counting to 10 after some interesting situation before pressing the button. This gives Tesla (and the autolabeler) more context and multiple views that are more diverse in time and position (assuming the car was moving). This matches up with what TesLatino / Rafael was told by Tesla back in 2020:

So there shouldn't be a huge rush and struggle to push the variably-placed button on the touch screen.
Thanks - if that's the case I'll wait a few seconds and not stress about hitting it right away. Safer that way anyway.

I assume there's probably also telemetry included that shows other relevant info, like when you disengaged AP.

Now they need to fix V11 so the notifications don't block one another!

Have you let the car try and make the U-Turn? Just wondering how well it did.
I've made similar u-turns when required and FSD beta performed them well. But they are nothing special. Just a left turn followed by another left turn. It's not like making a u-turn at a regular intersection.

Below, you can see the intersection. I was travelling south on the road at the left side intending to turn east onto the busy road at the bottom. The u-turn lane is occupied by the five cars lined up heading east. This lane has separate curbs to isolate it from the main road.

Earlier, I was heading west on the main road at the bottom intending to turn south onto the road at the left side. I was first at the traffic light where the mass of cars is shown. When the light turned green, FSD beta sat there with the left turn signal on apparently waiting for northbound vehicles to clear the intersection so it could make an immediate south turn the wrong way on a one-way street instead of proceeding across the intersection before turning south.

1649957322479.png

often. Don't know if it is me having trouble because like you say I'm concentrating on sruvival or whether it is simply not responding as it should.

I suspect that latter. I'm fairly well convinced that it is trying to hide its bad behavior from dad.

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc
often. Don't know if it is me having trouble because like you say I'm concentrating on sruvival or whether it is simply not responding as it should.

I suspect that latter. I'm fairly well convinced that it is trying to hide its bad behavior from dad.

As others have said, just get control of the vehicle, and then press the button when you feel it's safe to do so. I'd be surprised if you're still wrestling with the car (or recovering from the surprise) after 10 seconds.

Next time, pick any random event while driving (doesn't have to be an FSD mess-up), and then count out 10 seconds. You might be surprised how long that is. In other words, you have a ton of time to press that button, even if you feel like the bad behavior happened a long time ago.

Another puzzling lane selection issue (10.11.2) - merged left to follow route (correct, right lane is a freeway entrance), stopped at red light behind some cars, then while waiting for the green light it completely forgot why it was in the left lane and attempted to merge right once the light turned green.

This is probably the biggest menace for me in this version; on average everything else is about the same as 10.10.2.

Yeah its not the most wonderful bit of UI design work ... however I dont think you need to be instantaneous .. I usually steady my hand on the screen and use my thumb, which seems to work reliably.

Another puzzling lane selection issue (10.11.2) - merged left to follow route (correct, right lane is a freeway entrance), stopped at red light behind some cars, then while waiting for the green light it completely forgot why it was in the left lane and attempted to merge right once the light turned green.

This is probably the biggest menace for me in this version; on average everything else is about the same as 10.10.2.
yeah - on my way to work today I was behind a car approaching a stoplight. The light was red and I needed to go straight. It started to veer into the right turn lane, realized it was wrong and swung 2 lanes over into the left turn lane. I'm sure the guy in front of me thought I was drunk.